Ninja covers the toy fair

cazboab

So there's a thread already on this but our own news correspondent(who goes by many names, Urban ninja, moocow, Jimmy, Trisha Takinawa.) was at the event, and without further ado(or apologies for bending the rules on duplicate threads, seriously though guys don't do that...) here's his report:

(the typos are his fault any picture in the wrong place are mine...)

Some of you may know already that the annual ‘toy show’ in HK happens these few days. I have visited it and gently persuaded some manufacturers to leak me out some info that may interest you guys.

This year has been pretty quiet for ACM guns and accessories due to numerous clamp down and so it is of no surprise that anything they have in the ACM booths this year are of much interest although JG was present with a display with most of their guns on display. Even though they did not disclose any stock issues to confirm the rumors flying around with regards to the chinagun factories pretty much going dormant from the authorities clamping down on manufacturing of RIFs.

Next up the interest list, the company ‘Lonex’ has come out with a product that the trigger-happy or the lazier airsofters would like. They have come up with an AEG magazine for both AR and AK (almost complete in production) platforms to wind your magazines REALLY easily. And I mean easy. How does this work? Imagine your winding wheel at the bottom of a hicap magazine is connected to the contraption commonly seen in toys with a piece of string that vibrates as you pull and let go of it. Yes, I admit, it sounds weird and useless but instead of vibrating it winds the spring and with 2-3 pulls of the wire, you have a fully wound up armalite magazine. I understand this is not the fresh news as some shops area already selling these on their websites, but it is news for the AK platform users as these hicap mags are soon to be released onto the market.

APS has also made an interesting entry to the airsoft market this year, announcing their upcoming product as the GBB SVD. This is definitely an eye catcher as it runs on Co2, giving it a nice blowback. APS claims this model (when released around Easter time) will be able to shoot on Co2 that uses 100% of its gas power to cycle the bolt whilst the trigger mechanism releases the spring to power the shot. This is so that the fps of each shot is more consistent, no matter the environmental conditions it is placed in. This is also going to be a big selling point as the usual GBB weapons on the market today will not allow you to fire the weapon at all due to the gas being the propellant for the shot, this can then be switched to ‘manual mode’ if the 12g capsule runs out to continue your battle.IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

APS claims each capsule can pump out 60 shots on average and 70+ shots if the conditions were ideal, substantially more than most of the gas blowback sniper rifles available right now. Although this model is only in the pre-production stages, APS has already committed to these objectives for the production model. Best of luck to APS to meeting these goals as I’m sure plenty of skirmishers and collectors alike are anticipating a decent replica of the SVD that actually fires on semi-automatic mode rather than manual cocking.

They have also released another product that may seem slightly late of the carbine conversion kits available on the market already, but these guys have stepped up the standards on the carbine conversion kits. Made from high quality polymer and requires no tools to fit your pistol in, APS brings you their carbine kit for the Glock series. Compatible with their Glock paintball markers as well as TM and KSC G17’s, soon available for G18c and rumor has it that they are already in the R&D process for making a compatible carbine conversion kit for the Hi-Capa series for the Hi-Capa users which will be estimated to have a release date around Easter time too with an estimated retail price of around US$85-90. Right in between the price range of the FPG and the ACM carbine kits, giving airsofters like myself that has a budget priority in choosing gear and equipment.

IMG_4422.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

Another contender but from Taiwan, is one of the possible rising giants of GBB makers, most of you have heard of them for their lower budget pistols and more renowned for their GBB rifles that nobody else had made. Namely the SCAR, PDW and the recent G36 series. Not only have they made an open bolt design for the PDW to respond to the requests of realism from the forums (yes they actually read up on responses) they have also managed to respond to the H&K fanatics of having various models of the G36 available with such a short time after releasing the short version. Prices are not much different too, with an increase of around US$30 and US$35 for the tactical version, this is hardly expensive considering the G36 is one of the cheaper GBB rifles on the market today as it is.

IMG_4452.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

What is really worth noticing is the Tactical version in terms of bang for your buck. The complete foregrip is made with 6065 aluminium (aluminum for our US friends) via CNC processes, the detail and finish is rather appealing too! Although some of you may complain about the larger, oval holes on the foregrip being unrealistic but fear not! Rumor has it there is an upcoming product that is made for these babies which is a licensed KAC rail system for the G36. So if you do not like the look of the tactical version, it may be worth holding out for the KAC rail system if you really like the look of something unusual.IMG_4462.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

(Further details available on FPS performance coming soon.)

Still with WE, they really are pumping out new things these few months. They have released an open bolt system that is available in either a complete gun or a replacement kit for the original brass tubed blowback design for the M4 series. The kit comprises of a new bolt, cocking handle, barrel and hop unit as well as the magazine feed lip. The upgrade kit will have a new trigger assembly given for free for the upgrade worth rrp of US$40. pics below show the new system in a WE 416.

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

As you can see, the bolt system looks similar to the G36 series they have made, infact the parts are the same so the availability of spare parts will not be much of an issue.

On the topic of new upgrade parts, WE will also release upgraded magazines for performance as seen on the G36 mags, the design internally will work for previous versions of GBB rifles too but with improved performance. I cannot comment on exactly what type of performance and at what costs but with a little gentle push, I was able to find out the predicted retail price of US$30 or maybe even below! Talk about great value there, some pistol mags cost that much, but time will tell if all this is going to be true when the final product comes out.

Some of you may be already thinking the compatibility of magazines with the new open bolt system for the M4 and SCAR series due to the feeding lips. Fear not, WE has already anticipated the switch of some users with replacement lips. Notice the screw on the top of the magazine? That holds the feed lip down and with a new replacement feed lip, this is going to switch the magazine to be compatible with the new open bolt system with minimal hassle using pre-existing magazines.

And here's a picture of how a WE 1935 browning comes apart that I have no idea were it should go:

IMG_4471.jpg

I've been told to expect more from him soon...

This post has been promoted to an article

Just making sure, I found the description to be rather puzzling since its uses the Co2 to pull back the spring and bolt. Meaning that its still basically spring powered. Just sounds really complicated to me and would have been easier to make it completely GBB.

Just making sure, I found the description to be rather puzzling since its uses the Co2 to pull back the spring and bolt. Meaning that its still basically spring powered. Just sounds really complicated to me and would have been easier to make it completely GBB.

Its spring powered, like an AEG, but it used gas to cock the spring after each shot to give you semi auto, if you don't have gas, you can manually crank the bolt and us it as a springer.

It would be quite hot if one can select to cut off the co2 to mimic taking shots with gas regulator turned off turning the gun bolt action. The guns cycling noise is most likely a lot more audible than the muzzle blast. Then again when situation dictates lots of shots, bang on with semiautomatic. Love it, hope it can wind up high fps springs. As it is only 12g of co2 after all.

The spring must be fairly weak if the co2 is going to push it back each shot just by expanding.

this is exactly what im having trouble with. Motors and gears are different than gas propellants... I dont think it could pull back something like an m120, but im open to being proven wrong.

The spring must be fairly weak if the co2 is going to push it back each shot just by expanding.

I'm not sure but my rusty and often just plain wrong grasp of high school physics(I'd have done better on the exam if I had wrote 'I am a fish' 200 times then passed out) says its possible in theory, if CO2 can propel a bb at x joules of kinetic energy then the same CO2 should be able to compress a spring to store the same X joules as mechanical potential energy, that's not accounting for the energy that expresses itself thermally and audibly when the metal moves etc, but I'm pretty sure I'd have an embolism trying to work that out...

Well that clears some of the misconceptions about that SVD. When the first teaser pics came out, some thought it uses the whole CO2 capsule for each and every shot to simulate the recoil of a real 7.62x54. Pic had a sign board saying "uses 100% of gas for recoil".

That aside, I'm sure CO2 is more than capable in pushing the springer bolt. But how much more "oompf" does it give to provide some semblance of recoil?

Yeah no doubt co2 can do it no problem, were talking 800psi. But 60 shots with 12gram capsule sounds highly optimistic at least with stronger springs. But if it can do the 10 as per rs mag capacity its alright, 20 shots would be very nice and 30 more than plenty. Given that it can reach semiauto limits.

BV guns with big recoil weights can give a nice shake whilst one without is more like a ripple. With heavy enough bolt the kick should be substantial and suppose needed to get the gun cycle stronger the spring.

Am I naive to think that this Co2 SVD will have more range than the Real Sword SVD?

Probably, those RS SVDs have the most range of any stock gun I've ever encountered. Actually, the most range of any gun I've encountered end all. I must say the design of this one sounds brilliant. Semi-auto, the ability to use it as a springer, actual shooting not affected by environment, and I'm assuming good recoil, what more could I want? Well unless it comes with a girlfriend attachment, then what more could I want?

I mean, as long as the accuracy and range are comparable with that of an electric DMR type weapon like the Real Sword, (doesn't need to surpass, just at least be competitive) it would be a sell in my book.

The RS is far beyond the capabilities of most electric DMRs, I really cannot describe it, you just have to play against one. It's one of the best airsoft guns I've ever seen, I'd say close to 100 feet more range than most guns

Hmmm I was just thinking, wouldn't that gas system mean the recoil is delayed? Since you pull the trigger, the spring's released which fires the bb, then once the piston is forward the gas blows it backwards, at which point you then feel the recoil. I wonder how noticeable that delay will be

Archived