Somewhat Sci-Fi mask.

Inventor

Finally, I managed to finish my sci-fi mask. It is based on the already cool MCU-2A/P gas mask, but has some major modifications to make it safe and comfortable.

I removed the aluminium bulk of the air exhaust, and also the drinking pipe (I don't want to imagine that I fall down, and my teeth impact against that...).

post-20704-0-85808800-1299948633_thumb.jpg

The main eye seal (yellowish transparent rubber to ensure hermetic seal of the face, was cut out too, it was very problematic, and the hermetic seal is all but needed.

post-20704-0-02897400-1299948676_thumb.jpg

Finally, the voice transducers where removed, and steel mesh from old googles was secured on all the orifices. A small 40mm fan, powered by a 9V battery, was coupled on the filter adaptor.

post-20704-0-91552400-1299948651_thumb.jpg

The mask is now very very comfortable, it can fog if you want it to (plug the holes, breathe really hard) but the miniature fan will take care of it (it is in exhaust mode, forcing air to enter the mask from all the other holes). The only drawback it has is that I no longer can aim with my L96...but I'll take care of that later... :P

Ahh, and the most important point! I can use my prescription glasses quite comfortably!, and the field of vision is superb! much better than my old "sky googles" type of eye protection. (ESS land ops...)

---EDIT---

Just did a test to see how embarrasing was to wear the mask with my PASGT cheapo helmet...judge yourselves:

post-20704-0-62110000-1299952165_thumb.jpg

post-20704-0-49235800-1299952186_thumb.jpg

Thanks ^_^

Now that i look at it a second time, the front view reminds me a bit of the Jin-Roh masks...(only if it where mat black... ^_^U)

The shame is that the fan I used was a secondhand van I removed from a machine that didn't need it, only to be told a few hours later that we are not skirmishing tomorrow due to bad weather...Had I knew it before, I would have waited and bought a brand new fan during the week... :S

NIce mask, but I have a few questions: why did you remove the lens's hermetic sealing and, more importantly, ARE YOU CERTAIN THAT THE LENS IS BB PROOF?

First of all, don't worry, I tested the lens myself with my 500+fps L96, and the lens didn't even nottice ^_^

Luckily, these masks are only made for the military, so you won't be able to get your hands on cheap made copies that are not safe. (as far as I know). Anyhow, testing is a must!

As for the lens hermetic sealing, it's coupling with the transparent lens (not shown here) was bad, it created reflective air pockets between both surfaces, wich disturbed me a lot (of course, in real life it's better to not see perfectly, than just die because your mask won't seal your face :P ). I wear prescription glasses, and thus, I'm quite sensitive (and maniatic) with things like that. Since the protection lens is quite wider than the yellowish transparent area, there are no gaps where a BB could get inside the mask, so I felt confident about removing it.

As a nice note, the transparent lens aberration is minimal, and the viewing area is just amazing!, one friend of mine argues that it makes my head bigger, but that is only from the side...and since this is a game, I prefer to have my face perfectly safe (teeth included)...

Thanks! Im tempted to buy a mask like that, but I only know of one certain shop in Spain that sells them for cheap, but this company is known (by judicial ruling) to have given funds and weapons to neo-nazi groups in the past. Ill try to source it somewhere else.

Thanks! Im tempted to buy a mask like that, but I only know of one certain shop in Spain that sells them for cheap, but this company is known (by judicial ruling) to have given funds and weapons to neo-nazi groups in the past. Ill try to source it somewhere else.

Do you live in Spain???

I bought mine on a polish shop (by mail), but they no longer have it. Look on Ebay, germany is a good source for these masks ^_^, but unless you're on europe, shipping might be costly.

Just before you buy one:

If you're not going to modify it, be careful, it's clumsy and somewhat uncomfortable (as it has to be to be a good gas mask) and without a fan (33/35mm fan for the small lateral openings) it will fog very fast.

If you modify it as I did, the mask becomes lighter (removing big aluminium chunks and many bits of plastic) and very comfortable. A decent 12V ball bearing fan running on a 9V battery should last about 10 hours, wich is plenty of time for a normal skirmish day.

Once I have installed the new fan, I'll post more photos, it's a bit tricky to do ^_^

it will fog very fast.

I have to disagree. I've used an unmodified one in games several times.

As long as you have it fitted properly it will never fog up. As you breath in, air is drawn into the mask via the air filter. This fresh cool air goes into the area around your eyes. There is a seperate piece of the mask (that you cut out) that goes around the nose and mouth. This should have a good seal, and when you breath out the hot, humid air can't go back into the eye area due to one way valves.

I have literal poured condensation out of the mouth piece, and never had issues with it fogging up.

If you do have it fog up, the seal round your mouth isn't good enough or the one way valves are sticking.

I wouldn't say the mask is confortable but it is very hot, and harder work due to breathing in through the filters etc...

I've used an unmodified one in games several times.

As long as you have it fitted properly it will never fog up.

I wouldn't say the mask is confortable but it is very hot, and harder work due to breathing in through the filters etc...

Yes, yes, we're talking about different aspects.

I tried the mask unmodified when I received it, and as you say, it didn't fog, however, once you modify it as I did, it will no longer perform as well. As a tradeback, the mask becomes very comfortable to wear. One day I even put it on, layed on bed to read my ebook, and then took a small nap...it is that comfortable XD (of course, I was home alone...)

pretty cool. reminds me of the generic faceless goons in just about every PS2 era sci-fi FPS (thats not a bad thing btw)

Me too ^_^, the only drawback it has is that it makes your head a bit bigger...but I still have to try it on a real skirmish, also, it looks really cool with the tinted lens...however, with the transparent ones, it doesn't look as cool (not that coolnes is a must), mainly because the gray plastic. If I had access to a black vinyl dye spray paint, I'll die all the plastic black, and then it would be 100% awesome. :D

These are the masks that are used in the US NAVY- I can't tell you how many hours I spent wearing this mask doing highly physical work without fogging, but I do understand how claustrophobic the nose / chin cup can make it feel. I wished many times it wasn't there... but it was the reason it didn't fog...

@Ultimentra: I don't drink while skirmishing. That's not a "super macho" answer, what I meant is that, I'm not a hardcore player, and I'm very used to go exercising with mi bike with short supply of water. With the liquid I take in the morning, and the mid skirmish stop for refreshings, I can go all day...I'm not a type of player that runs a lot, so it's not that I sweat very much, reducing even further my need of water. ^_^

Also, I removed the drinking "port" the mask had. It was an aluminium piece, and I was afraid of falling over, and breaking my teeth (always look for the worst case scenario).

@.!..=SPC4=..!. : I didn't feel the mask was claustrophobic, I just modified it because I thought it could get "skirmish improved". I'm no professional soldier, and as a gamer, I'm just a casual player, so, I felt it was OK if I modified the mask to become as comfortable as possible. My team leader (so to speak) complained a bit about it, argueing about the team uniformity (something we want to achieve, but as of now, is nonexistant) I argued back that since he doesn't wear prescription glasses, he can't understand how troublesome it is when both glasses fog...and they do constantly...with this, not only I'm comfortable, but also have my whole face covered, and it doesn't fog...plus my inner cosplayer gets all excited with it and it's sci-fi look XD

@.!..=SPC4=..!. : I didn't feel the mask was claustrophobic, I just modified it because I thought it could get "skirmish improved".

Right - it does look cool. I like your mods. Oh- just fyi- the Navy actually issued special "flexible" frame prescription glasses to wear with these if your eyes were bad enough, (just to support the idea of how hard it is to accomodate glasses when using these types of eye pro...)

http://www.armygasmasks.com/MCU-2P-Gas-Mask-Insert-Frame-p/aaagas-224.htm

Maybe you could get a pair... they really work... and might be worth it if you play alot...

322201163545pm.jpg

I had seen those addon frames, but my glasses sit just fine with the mask (given that I don't need to have it super tight for the mask to be airtight, as it would need to be in real usage) I took a photo for you to see that the mask just bends a bit around the glasses arm. I feel no extra pressure on the temples, and as said, it is so comfortable you can sleep with it :) (Mmmm...taking a nap during a skirmish...coool XD )

post-20704-0-61998300-1300920987_thumb.jpg

Also, there's great news! (for me at least) I'll be testing the mask this sunday!!...We will skirmish in the morning, so, I could write a small report about mask performance. Since I can't use my L96 (can't aim with the scope, mask too wide), I'll be using a borrowed aeg, and my p99, other than that, I'll be running all morning long with it, I hope to have great fun!...

---EDIT---

Oh, there is a drawback...I just left the mask on while blogging about my dice, and my nose began to itch...unless I remove the visor, I won't be able to scratch it!...well, it's a small price to pay I guess... :P

• 2 weeks later...

The mask finally got skimish'ed!

Veredict: 8.5 out of 10

Cons: It can fog if you run a lot (specially because I'm not very fit, so, I get tired easily, and just breathe harder. Also, the parts in contact with the mask sides, will sweat a lot! not super bothersome, but it must be noted nonetheless. Just one fan, specially the one I used, wich was 40mm, is not enough.

Pros: IT gives you a sense of invulnerability that I have never sensed in all my previous years of gaming. What I mean is that, since all your face is protected (eyes, chin, teeh, cheeks, most of your forehead)...you're no longer mildly afraid of being shot. At some point in the game, just for fun, I stepped in a room that was just a nightmare. It was fully defended byt about 4 people, and my team just could not enter, anyhow, I decided it would be fun to step in just shooting blindly (room super dark, no way to see where to shoot). I doubt I made any difference, and got shoot quite a lot, but I quite enjoyed that "counter strike" sensation of "being just a game"

Also, I got shot quite a few times in the head with no further consequences.

So, all in all, I'm super happy with the mask, and will made a few modifications. Anyhow, even without tose mods, this is going to be my skirmish mask, FOREVER! XD

Small fan will be changed with a bigger one, situated on the front of the mask. Note that it might make me speak very strange XD

The two smaller openings, will get a small carbon fiber flow diverter to redirect air directly to the visor, reducing the small foging even more.

I'll look for a friend in the US to whom send the mask, so he can paint it in black with vinyl dye for pure aesthetic reasons.

If they're used, they should be fairly cheap then ^_^ (I bought mine online in a chzech store, and it costed about 45€)

I also got told that a shop in spain had them (shop known to support skinhead movements)...so it's unlikely I'll go check them...

Once I get the modifications done, I'll post them ^_^ (about two weeks at least)

yeah of course mate http://www.lavenhamarmysurplus.com/ they dont have any stock listed on the site as it constantly changes, its one of those stores that sometimes you go in and there is bugger all and other times theres no end of goodies, equally somethings are way over priced and some things are stupidly under priced !! :)

Archived