Drop-in AEG-to-GBBR Conversion Gearbox

aznriptide859

Wait let me get this right ... this kit supposedly makes possible to turn any AEG into a GBBR ?

Any gun that's an AR it seems. But if they're making their own mags...I dunno

I'm both sceptical and slightly aroused.

So it's like a tranny?

Too much funk.

All you really get is the cycling bolt and maybe a little recoil at best. You don't get features like near real take down.

And judging from that mag design, this looks like the work of GHK.

The design sure looks a copy of a GHK mag but there are quite a few differences, but they say that it will be a proprietary design. It seems this is going to be "available" by the end of the year.

Instead of a GIM design they should have made a Classic airsoft type of thing.

why would anyone want this

there are already plenty of companys who build gbb rifles

You might want this if you have no interest in M4s or AKs like me, I run MP5s or G3s although from the looks of it the guns this kit will fit would be limited to what mags are available (probably M4 mags) in which case I'd agree with you and say just get a proper GBBr.

If they advertise and market it well, get it well distributed with lots of stock to plenty of retailers at a good price point and make it reasonably accessible for the average AEG AR-15 user I can see a lot of sales in this.

By the looks of it, it's pretty much just an AEG GB shell, a set of GBBr lower internals and the BCG, so presumably should sell for a whole lot less than a G&P WOC or even some of the lower priced GBB ARs. I get a lot of questions about GBB M4s on my YouTube account and various forums practically daily, they're the sort of thing a lot of players really want to get. So if whoever's making this does it well then there's a very large potential market, what with, as mentioned, all the AEG ARs that are already out there.

Am I the only one who thinks this is pure win? It's allowing you to convert your already existing guns into a gas variant without having to buy a specific GBB models and/or magazines. AEG's get far more after market support than GBB's do, so the accessories are all out there. From what I gather, it still allows you to use your hop-up chamber and barrel. Giving you more options than you normally would have. Further more, this gearbox can easily adapt itself to all other guns that use V2 gearboxes, all that would need to change is the bolt and the magazine. This has been exactly the thing I have been waiting for.

I will buy it first chance I get thats for sure and I'll become the guinea pig for it.

The only point that I can see for this is if you wanted a specific trademarked body. For example, if you are a Magpul ###### and want a Magpul lower, with a VLTOR upper, or some other hybrid type of gun, then this may well be your answer. I personally wouldnt want it, I prefer even the most cheapest gas M4 on the market for the extra realism it has, and the ease of upgrading the parts or replacing the broken ones (which is probably often with the cheapo ones), but this looks too much hassle and the bolt carrier is too flat, too much like an aeg dust cover. They would have been better off making the bolt carrier the correct shape, and supplying a replacement flap for the gun with the correct sized locking pin. It also looks like the bolt wont travel the complete distance, similar to most electric blow back rifles, so it will effectively short stroke. Another issue that I see is that there is a notch on the top, sticking out of the gearbox. I am assuming that this is the top of the bolt carrier, running along a slot in the top of the housing to make it stay in place and travel correctly, similar to many electric blow back systems. Now, as with electric blow back, this may cause a problem. I am not over familiar with the majority of M4 type systems out there, but I know that some guns have screws, or plugs, or locating lugs, or reinforcement pieces which may cause this not to move correctly. I would draw reference to a Classic Army metal body compared to a CYMA one, the internals have no chance of fitting due to all the bits and pieces in the way, needs major modifications to get the bits in there, not that I would ever get Classic Army anything ever again. Also, if the second to bottom pic is the inner of the mag (which it looks like to me), what system will it accept, WA, WE, or will they be propriatary. Either way, wouldnt that depend on the lower that you are using whether it fits? For example, I bought a Magpul E mag mid cap, and it will not feed in an SRC 416 or an APS M4 (the only two I have tried so far), so will these gas mags have the same problem? Maybe they would have been better off with a decent electric blow back drop in gearbox, I would imagine that would be more appealing than this.

I'm pretty sure this is going to need a proprietary magazine, the location of the lever that actuates the bolt lock is in an entirely different place compared to every other GBBr mag I've seen so far. While some peoples' initial reaction might be "well then maybe my WA/WE/KJW mags will still work, it just won't have bolt lock" I'm doubting that as well, it looks like the lever part of the 'gearbox' itself that you can see sticking out in the 5th picture would interfere with the metal casing/shell on all the currently available magazines.

I also don't really see it fitting in any of the other designs of AEG that use V2, the whole area within which this thing interacts with the magazine would be all wrong in a G3 or MP5, the valve striker specifically. I imagine they could make different versions without too much trouble, but then again all the money will be in the M4/16 version, being that nobody's really produced a new G3 model (of any significance or popularity that is) for quite some time they're not exactly a common sight on the field, and neither are MP5s when compared to ARs.

You might want this if you have no interest in M4s or AKs like me, I run MP5s or G3s although from the looks of it the guns this kit will fit would be limited to what mags are available (probably M4 mags) in which case I'd agree with you and say just get a proper GBBr.

i would be verry surprised if this would fit in anything other than a m4

I also don't really see it fitting in any of the other designs of AEG that use V2, the whole area within which this thing interacts with the magazine would be all wrong in a G3 or MP5, the valve striker specifically.

That's a very good point actually, there would be no room for an interface between the gearbox shell and the magazine for gas transfer, if someone could do this but to run from external Co2 from the grip then I'd be wanting one for my G3s.

AEG to GBBR... so basically this is a downgrade kit. :P

Who cares? GBBs are usually more fun than AEGs to actually skirmish with and to me that is the most important thing providing the system doesn't drink gas at an insane rate or require new parts every other mag....

AEG to GBBR... so basically this is a downgrade kit. :P

:P If you see it that way. Remember that the VSR, one of the most highly reguarded long range airsoft benchmark weapons is basically a springer. One of the best things about gas is how it is more relistic. I love gas guns, I can take them apart and fix them, put them back together again and they work. I have several AEGs in pieces that I have tried to fix. There are downsides to gas, the temperature being one of them, but I have used my System 7 M9 in several inches of snow and it just keeps on going. I have used my WE G39 in very cold conditions, and whilst on full auto had a few cooldown issues but nothing major, on single worked fine. My G39 outranges my aegs by a long way, and my M9 is on par with them, so how this is a downgrade is beyond me.

Airsoft is about being more realistic, otherwise you may as well just do paintball. Gas is much more realistic than aeg, but if this thing helps to bridge the gap, then I encourage it. I cant see it myself, but I welcome anything new that gives airsofters more options. I just wish someone would invent a gas system that didnt leak!!!

Archived