Pledge ideas?

Arnie

I've been invited to create a pledge on the new site www.pledgebank.com (started by the same people that started the writetothem.com site) and have been told that whatever we start on there will gain press attention when they launch.

Now... I'll create a pledge on there, but has nayone got suggestions for what that can be?

Obviously the more votes the better, but it'd have to be a sensible and reasonable idea that is on topic in relation to the VCR bill.

More on this mentioned in the news.

pledge not to ban the airsoft sport. Make a distinction between airsoft guns that can not be converted to fire live ammo and other replicas that can be converted to do that. Allow the sale and play of airsoft guns maybe with strict output power limit.

Well seems like a good one will be to have something like "I will write a letter to my MP if XX amount of people will too". Basicly need to let these people know that Airsofters are responsible, and there's alot of them in the UK. Also, what is an MP exactly? You guys can't sit around and make topics all day saying "OMG We are getting baned!" (no offense, I understand some will be worried). I hope everything turns out good for British Airsoft.

I gotta say, I'm really not sure how this Pledgebank thing applies to airsoft.

It seems more geared toward charity fund-raising than protesting about something.

"I pledge to have thousands of pounds of legally purchased equipment scrapped and be royally screwed over by a government which has no idea what it's doing"

No. Don't think so.

Seriously, I don't understand what I can pledge to do.

Pledge to continue playing airsoft if I'm allowed to?

Pledge to not use a replica gun for anything bad?

Pledge to track down and inform on anybody selling springers to kids?

I dunno. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept but all the other pledges on that site are to do something which can be achieved if people agree to help.

As far as I can see, the only realistic thing we can pledge to do is protest the VCRB.

But I'm going to do that anyway, irrespective of how many others do the same thing.

Ok... best shot:-

I will do all I can legally do to keep the sport of airsoft alive in this country and oppose the Violent Crime Reduction Bill but only if XXX other people will do the same.

One more question: Does the pledge close if it hits its target number?

I mean, bit of a balancing act. If you put "10" as the number of other people then the pledge is easily achieved but does it then close so nobody else can pledge?

Alternatively, if you put a big number, say "10,000", and only 9,500 people sign it will it sink without a trace as a failure?

pledge not to ban the airsoft sport.  Make a distinction between airsoft guns that can not be converted to fire live ammo and other replicas that can be converted to do that.  Allow the sale and play of airsoft guns maybe with strict output power limit.

that isnt what they are after, they are bannig it for the look of the gun. not the power of it. it's low power enough as it is. all they trying to do is make themsleves feel better even if they shot someone on the street carrying a replica.

I'm with sid on this one, i'm not sure what a pledge can do in our case. if anyone can explain it in a way relating to airsoft that someone who got 2hrs sleep last night can understand i'd be most grateful

does anyone have a good link to the ukairsoft petition? everyone I click I get a page not found.

Cheers

Mig

I'm with sid on this one, i'm not sure what a pledge can do in our case. if anyone can explain it in a way relating to airsoft that someone who got 2hrs sleep last night can understand i'd be most grateful

does anyone have a good link to the ukairsoft petition? everyone I click I get a page not found.

Cheers

Mig

they overloaded by people, i cant get on any time, lol, theres a good chance people just keep refreshing the page even they have already sign it. i would like to ask people who already sign it , get off the site, so people like us (havent sign it) get on and do it quickly !

Look, I think those of you are asking "How will this help us?" are for getting something... Like Arnie said, we are almost certainly going to gain atleast a little media coverage on the subject. Think of all the minor newspapers in the towns of Airsofters. I'm soon going to write to my local newspaper and see if I can get the issue raised in there. Surely if say half of the people on here wrote a brief letter with several relevant URLs to petitions and other documents on the subject, and half of those were effective (i.e it was covered) then so many people would become educated about the SPORT and that fact that the markers are essentially just TOYS. That is WHY we are trying to do this pledge.

Like a few people have said, the structure of the pledge would be something like...

"I will write a letter to my local MP if 1000 other people do". I think the key thing is deciding on how many people that should be. I mean there's a lot of us in the UK but we need to be realistic. Also don't pledge twice (if you can) or get friends to because that wont do any good if they wont actually write a letter, just inaccurate pledge counts. Remember its not about the pledges, its the promising that you will write the letter. If you could tell all your airsoft friends to join in and actually write, that'd be good. Or just anyone you can to sign the petitions, it only takes a second or two.

Mouse

Don't mean to be cynical but all the on-line petitions and pledges in the world aren't going to do us any good.

Spending time poncing around building websites and setting up on-line pledges is only a means of kidding yourself that you're doing something useful.

You're not.

What we need to be doing is real-world stuff. Getting airsoft into the news, arranging charity events, doing public spirited stuff.

Raise £1000 for a police charity and they'd find it awkward to to turn down the invitation to collect the cash even if it meant attending a skirmish.

Writing to your MP is good.

Arranging to go and see him is better.

Anything that involves the internet as more than a means of communication is just pretend. It won't help one bit.

IMO.

Very true, however if an opportunity to use something as I was given is offered I'm not going to turn it down. I can't do much other than offer a system for people of like minds ot meet and chat and exchange information. The more that are aware of the situation with the current proposed bill the better IMO. Anything online is simply there to gain more interest and free online press, that's it. Online work never really amounts to real life 'work'.

Online petitions mean very little to me, however the possibility to flood a new site wirh interest as it's released to the real media might be worth something, if only a tagline on a page in the paper.

Donating funds towards Police charities would be a good idea, as are the ideas on visiting MPs and local polticians.

Sadly my local MP is very anti-firearm so I don't stand a chance with him to be honest. :(

I "Your Name Here" pledge the following...

I will continue to uphold the self imposed high standards and ethics of my chosen sport, AirSoft. I will maintain it's reputation as a fun and friendly game played by responsible people in safe, protected environments. Environments where no member of the public will ever be alarmed or placed in danger. I will safeguard my community by never using (or transporting) my equipment in a manner to which it was not designed or that may cause harm or distress to others, nor will I ever allow others to use it in any such manner. I will do all in my power to ensure that this sport remains a simple simulation game and I will protect minors, through education and example, from the negative effects the miss-use of my sport may have upon them.

Hope this helps in some way. :blink:

Morph

Don't mean to be cynical but all the on-line petitions and pledges in the world aren't going to do us any good.

Spending time poncing around building websites and setting up on-line pledges is only a means of kidding yourself that you're doing something useful.

You're not.

What we need to be doing is real-world stuff. Getting airsoft into the news, arranging charity events, doing public spirited stuff.

Raise £1000 for a police charity and they'd find it awkward to to turn down the invitation to collect the cash even if it meant attending a skirmish.

Writing to your MP is good.

Arranging to go and see him is better.

Anything that involves the internet as more than a means of communication is just pretend. It won't help one bit.

IMO.

there was a post on the scotland skirmish site for opening is it?

im sure we can all donate £2 each for being not able to go. and that can easily reach £1000. think that will work?

I "Your Name Here" pledge the following...

I will continue to uphold the self imposed high standards and ethics of my chosen sport, AirSoft.  I will maintain it's reputation as a fun and friendly game played by responsible people in safe, protected environments.  Environments where no member of the public will ever be alarmed or placed in danger.  I will safeguard my community by never using (or transporting) my equipment in a manner to which it was not designed or that may cause harm or distress to others, nor will I ever allow others to use it in any such manner. I will do all in my power to ensure that this sport remains a simple simulation game and I will protect minors, through education and example, from the negative effects the miss-use of my sport may have upon them.

Hope this helps in some way.  :blink:

Morph

Now that Sir, is one pledge that I wouldn't mind signing up to whatso ever. Thats what I vote for to go in as the pledge at this pledge bank, it makes airsofters seem caring about the effectson society, as well as being extremely responsible.

I think +1 at least for that one.

Adam

While that pledge is sound it isn't something you could sign up to on Pledgebank...

Unfortunately.

Forgive me if this is idiotic - I have a feeling it was possible but I cannot confirm at present whether it still is... but how about:

I pledge to register my vote at the next general election in the constituency of the Labour party leader of the day and to vote for the candidate most likely to come second in that constituency in the event that the Violent Crime Reduction Bill effectively criminalises my sport - either through direct banning or through the banning of the aquisition of new and replacement equipment.

But only if ? other Paintballers, Reenactors, Lasertag players and Airsofters will do so too.

If we could get ten thousand we might kick him/her (but let's face it it'll probably be Brown) out of office - at the very least we'd reduce their majority.

If anyone can confirm whether it is possible then please do so...

I admit that it's more tailored to the potential press coverage it might gain us than to actually acheiving a direct change in the government outlook but...

Archived