All SUSAT problems fixed

mig_eater

Hi,

Ok where to start um optics I think

Optics:

with the academy SA80 the sight produces a negative magnification making it very hard to aim. I've fixed this giving an optical magnification of about 2x-2.5x:

1. remove the SUSAT from the weapon and mounting

2. remove auxilery sight from top of susat, this unlocks the rear lenses block

3. pull lense block out using the eye cup

4. push eye cup forward over the lense block

5. pry the black plastic rings that hold the lenses in out (they're lightly glued)working around the edge with a screw driver works

6. remove the lenses

7. glue the rings back on but backwards so the lip of it is in contact with the block and you get about 3mm extra on each end of the block. polish lenses (may as well while they're out)

8. glue the lenses back on to the front and back of the now extended sight block.

9. replace eye cover (its a tightish fit i had to scrap some glue to get it back on)

10. put it back into the SUSAT, replace and screw down the auxilery sight to lock it back in place

Red dot off centre:

Push the side on the front lense, pushing left makes the dot go right etc. still fairly useless except for CQB low light,

SUSAT Pin aiming

this is just a bit more realistic than a Cross hair

1. Remove SUSAT

2. undo the four screws on the bottom and remove the circuit

3. get the fattest needle you can find (no knitting needles silly), preferable about 1-2mm across

4. clip off the bottom so that your left with the top 2-3 cm

5. get some tweasers and looking through the sight positon it so the tip is in the middle and the rest goes down.

6. without moving it feel for the super glue, and glue it to the front of the large circuitry block hole, hold for 10second

7. clip any excess needle off

8. replace circuit, screw back, replace SUSAT

I haven't tried it in low light yet but I reckon that as the needle is chrome the LED that makes the red dot will reflect really well off it and give the glowing tip that the real SUSAT has, even if it doesn't the needle still aims pretty well.

Mount wobble fixed:

1.at the front of the mount there are the dummy screws with clips on them

2. pull one of these clips off and push on the fake screw

3. the fake screws are the end of a rod that connect top and bottom mount

4. apply a single layer of cellotape to the whole length

5. apply another layer to one end (about a 1/3rd of the rod in length)

6. push the rod through the first top mount hole, and though the lower mount section.

7. put a single layer of cellotape on the end that has just come through the lower mount

8. push through final top mount hole

9.replace clip

10. tighten all real screws for good measure

The reason for the differing levels of cellotape is that the lower hole is smaller than the upper holes, also you'll need to fiddle with the amount of tape because your tape may be thicker than mine etc

More Practical Auxillery sight:

1. Tip-ex (eraser fluid) the back of the front sight, then use a floresent pen(I recommend yellow) colour the tipex so it shows up better

2. Using a jig saw (hacksaw would probably do the job just as well) cut down the centre of the rear sight until you get to the peep hole, depending on the size of the saw edge you might need to do a couple of cuts

3. Sand the two 'horns' until the peep hole circle is a half circle (think pistol iron sight),

4. Smooth off the edges and anywhere thats rough

5. tipex the tips of the stumpy horns now left, but don't colour them, this makes it easier to line up in low light

Cheers

Mig

Archived