Spring upgrade checklist complete?

SKL001

I've decided to upgrade my SR-16 mechbox to a PDI 120% spring. Even though it's not a monster upgrade, it should provide the oomph for the woodland gaming that we do in my neck of the woods.

The only other planned upgrade is to change out the nylon bushings for systema oiless bushings. Other than that, only thing I need is a pack of shims?

This is my first upgrade and just want to make sure that I've got the checklist complete before giving it a go.

If you wanna re-shim your Gears then yes. But it's not absolutely nessesary. how ever doing it correctly will greatly increase the life of your gun and its internals.

When you open your Box, do it very carefully and slowly. Don't rush in to it.

Good luck

EDIT: in the future, look in to a Tight Bore Barrel. That'll give you a lot more range for Woodland.

Thanks KingCodez.

I searched the forums for info on PDI 130 springs but didn't turn much of anything up. Is the 130 over the 1J UK limit? I'm curious because while I want to upgrade my gun past stock, I don't want to turn it into a beast since I use it for Live Action Role Playing as well.

With all that said, I'm still a bit confused about which spring to get. At first I was convinced of the PDI 130 then the 120. I'm waffling again. lol

Airsoft Muzzle Velocity discussion ("the 1 Joule Rule")

Discussion of Airsoft replicas that shoot BBs with more than 1 Joule of muzzle energy is not tolerated. While the 1 Joule limit is not a legal limit defined by UK law, it is legally considered that any Airsoft replica at this limit or below, cannot cause a penetrative injury to a person. This means that the law considers any replica shooting above this limit as either a grey area, or a weapon. As we want this sport / hobby to remain safe, discussions of power levels (or equipment that will enable a replica to exceed this power level) is not allowed.

We understand that in many countries, velocities of 400 feet per second and more are legal, but this is a British web site, with a British owner and we have set this limit for discussion as it helps to ensure that all members stay on the right side of British law.

Quoted from the rules. I'm pretty sure a 120% will be above the 1Joule limit that the forum uses

I'm not sure you'll need the bushings for this level of upgrade, but to be on the safe side I'd do it. If you do get bushings though, in all likelihood you do need to re-shim the gearbox (it would be quite a rare occurrence if you didn't need to).

A PDI 130% is definitely over the 1J limit 99% of the time (I'm sure someone could somehow tune a gun to be in the limit even with this spring, but why??). A 120% is on the line, depending on what other mods are present. With, say, a tight bore inner barrel, bering spring guide, and bering piston head, it probably would be too hot (if only just barely).

Do consider a tight bore inner barrel, I recommend Prometheus 6.03mm. You'll pick up FPS from it, but how much depends on the gun and what other mods you have. I'd actually recommend you try this first if all you're thinking about is a PDI 120%. It will cost a little more, but it's easier to install and might get you the result's you want without needing to screw around in the mechbox (risky if you don't know what you're doing). Plus, you might find with the tight bore, you only want a 110% or similar. Either way it's something you should probably get eventually

Misread it, topic reopened.

A PDI 130% as mentioned by a user is indeed above forum limits.

Drat, I just sent you a PM about this too. You're too fast for me, ah well. :)

Here's another thing, if you do get the 6.03mm TB Barrel, make sure to use High Grade BBs. It really stinks to get a Jam in the middle of a Fight. The cheaper BBs usually scrape the barrel and Jam in a .03

Good Luck. Gear Boxes make me Nervous :fear2:

For some reason I got warned about a Spring when I didn't say 'Spring'...

It's probably true about 6.03's being more likely to jam with really shoddy BBs. I've never encountered a jam in any of my guns though. I pretty much only use Excel BBs (.20g and .25g, bio and non-bio), and sometimes "Straight" .36g BBs in my SR25. My AEGs all have Prometheus 6.03mm inner barrels, 363mm M4 length in my G36K and M15A4, and 509mm M16 length in my SR25. I know several others who use Prometheus barrels, they've never had a problem either.

Come to think of it I've not come across a first-hand account of a jam occurring that wasn't the result of using absolute garbage BBs, which can even occur in stock guns. Just use good quality BBs, and don't re-use them, don't use dirty ones, ect. Common sense, really. I mean, why get a nice barrel to improve accuracy and such, if you're just going to shoot trash out of it? :)

Archived