Freedom of speech

f0xm4n

Not been on the forums for a while, and popped in today to have a look around and read with interest the "The blind fire rule Good or bad?" then noticed that it had been closed. While I agree with the safety argument to some extent, does not everybody who goes airsofting consent to being shot, and if you wear glasses as opposed to full face protection; that you do so at your own risk ?

I think the real question should be why are unsafe practices such as cleaning your goggles on the playing field and dead people waking in the way of an ongoing game tolerated.

I think R22 hit on a point, which could be used in the defence of this practice. That the people against blind firing are actually the ones afraid of being hit.

Personally I do not do this, as it is not allowed at the Airsoft sites, and you must obey the rules but you cant just write some points out that contradict each other point and close the thread.

Also Imagine everytime a blind fire burst could kill a few know enemy advancing on your position, instead of having to throw a £2.50 grenade, or jumping out of cover and getting shots to the head at point blank coz you had to show your face while shooting.

Anyway my point remains its not illegal so should be discussed openly.

*preparing myself to be flammed :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it was closed cos it is such a horrible thing to do.

It was more because, basically, everybody had their say and a couple of other threads were started, merged together and then locked and stickied so that anybody could see what popular opinion was without having to start a new thread or retread old ground.

I think R22 hit on a point, which could be used in the defence of this practice. That the people against blind firing are actually the ones afraid of being hit.

I'm afraid of some twat spraying me in the face from 2 feet away. Someone taking an aimed shot at me is fine, but sticking your gun round the corner and pulling the trigger is just plain nasty.

I'm afraid of some twat spraying me in the face from 2 feet away. Someone taking an aimed shot at me is fine, but sticking your gun round the corner and pulling the trigger is just plain nasty.

I agree completly, but you are essential dressed up as a soldier with a killing machine in your hands, which is nasty anyway.

i completely disagree, you could indeed put the gun around a corner and shoot someone in the face from two feet when blind firing, but you could also look where your about to fire, and somebody could be stood very close to you and then shot and hit you in the head at point blank range, so it works both ways wheather blind firing or not, and you cant possibly use this in an argument when it contridicts itself with the argument i put forward. Also on the whole its the people that are worried about getting hit that dont want blind firing allowed, yeh itll sting and possible bleed a little if you get hit from point blank, but lets face it its gonna happen sooner or later anyway wheather it be a perfectly good shot or blind fire. so i dont think that blind firing should be stopped.

:)

Isn't this just a rehash of every thing thats gone before?

The debate can go on ad-nauseum but we are only playing a game, and games do have to have rules and limits, whether they are considered arbitary or unfair by some, they are what the majority agree to abide by for the safety of all.

Yes but a perfectly good shot isn't going to be from 2 feet away or less. And if you swing your gun around a corner whilst firing, what happens if the barrel knocks of someones mask?

how do you know, ive seen perfectly good shots from 2 feet away. i got shot in a game by a sniper that had managed to get within three feet of about 5 of us, i then got shot in the back, it really hurt but as i am not a 'blind firing banning weed', it didnt bother me. also who on earth is the barel gonns knock off sombodys face mask, do you balence yours on the end of your nose or somthing, as the ones i use are held on by massive straps. and your not really gonns swing it arond a corner that fast anyway.

I think we have to remember there are thousands of members to this site, all of which have valid points and arguments, its pointless to say, this has been said before, or this is old news.

It may well be for you, but not everybody has read or added to the thread. All I wanted to say, regardless of do's and dont's of Blind Firing, is that the original thread should have stayed open to allow people to add to the discussion.

The fact the first thread I noticed was about Blind Firing is irrelevant, the annoying thing was that the end comment was completely biased and disregarded everybodys point of view, and nobody could add to it because it was closed.

I like blind firing, as I think it can achieve an objective, without making your head vulnerable or wasting a £2.50 flashbang. But I also agree that Idiots might have their goggles off and therefore may be hit in the face, on that alone it should not be allowed, safety should always be paramount. But remember its the person with the goggles off breaking the rule.

The argument on getting hit at close range stands no ground in my book, as you should not play if your afraid of getting hit, and the person poking their head around the corner would get hit at close range anyway. Its a no win situation.

i completely disagree, you could indeed put the gun around a corner and shoot someone in the face from two feet when blind firing, but you could also look where your about to fire, and somebody could be stood very close to you and then shot and hit you in the head at point blank range, so it works both ways wheather blind firing or not, and you cant possibly use this in an argument when it contridicts itself with the argument i put forward. Also on the whole its the people that are worried about getting hit that dont want blind firing allowed, yeh itll sting and possible bleed a little if you get hit from point blank, but lets face it its gonna happen sooner or later anyway wheather it be a perfectly good shot or blind fire. so i dont think that blind firing should be stopped.

:)

You're gonna deliberately shoot me in the face from 2 feet away? *fruitcage* off. Thats just plain dangerous. An accident would be fine, but either doing it when you can see me, or blindly firing at me, is just plain nasty, unsporting, and spoils the fun of airsoft.

Ah, it's started then....

The thread wasn't locked because it was against free speach, it was locked because, as already mentioned, it had been done to death.

There are proponents for and against the blind fire rule. Being against it does not make you a weed, being for it does not make you a bad sportsman, and I'm ashamed for anyone that would suggest either of those things is true.

As Demon b. points out, we're playing a game, however much we're imitating war, we are playing a game. All games must have rules to ensure players safety.

Whilst the odd burst of suppressing fire is fine, Blind Fire can be dangerous, for many reasons already covered in the really long thread. It is for these reasons that a lot of sites do not allow blind fire. And at the end of the day, if you don't like it, go play some place else.

Edit: A responsible player has a duty of care to his fellow 'softers not to deliberately set out to injure them. Even full face does not protect your head entirely.

Any part of the body is fair game. It's one of the reasons why I wear full face. The question is not 'can you', but *should you?* Especially at close range, shooting for the head is just plain unsporting. Call for surrender, or shout Bang! if that's how your site does it.

You're gonna deliberately shoot me in the face from 2 feet away? *fruitcage* off. Thats just plain dangerous. An accident would be fine, but either doing it when you can see me, or blindly firing at me, is just plain nasty, unsporting, and spoils the fun of airsoft.

all's fair in love and war :)

only joking, you do have a valid point, if i thought there was a risk of hitting sombody at point blank in the face i would'nt justshoot. i actually do not blind fire at all when i go to games but i can see the argument for blind firing. and thats why my opinion is swaying towards blind firing.

Well said Ghost_Rider.

Right, just spotted this thread so let me explain why the thread was locked.

It was locked originally because people were not reading what had been put before and it was just repeating itself over and over. The Blind-Fire supporters were spouting about how they like to do it and no amount of coherant argument could convince them otherwise. All the time, the Blind-Fire supporters did not put forward one single well made argument as to why this practice should be accepted or condoned in the game of Airsoft. Basically it was going round in circles and not progressing - people were losing their tempers and it got closed.

Months later, the subject returned and I decided to re-open the thread on the clearly printed proviso that it did not repeat what had already been said and that it didn't start going round in circles again. It did. The same old arguments kept coming back up from those too lazy to read the posts and just wanted a rant. So, it got closed again.

I didn't want to re-open it after the first lockage, but I figured people have the right to talk about it. Unfortunately, the spamming re-appeared despite my requests not to let it happen, so it got locked again.

I stand by my decision.

I have to say I wish that I did not have to lock the thread as it is a valid point of discussion, but people just can't post sensibly in that thread - it has been tested and proven.

The only way forward as far as I see it is that it remains closed for people to read, as more replies aren't going to actually achieve anything.

Hope that helps ;)

I like blind firing, as I think it can achieve an objective, without making your head vulnerable or wasting a £2.50 flashbang. But I also agree that Idiots might have their goggles off and therefore may be hit in the face, on that alone it should not be allowed, safety should always be paramount. But remember its the person with the goggles off breaking the rule.

My point wasnt that someone may have their goggles off, it was that when you swing an M16 around a corner without looking you may clip somebodys gogles and knock them off. Now you wont of course of seen this becuase you are around the corner, so you will pull the trigger and may just empty several rounds into somebodys unprotected face from a couple of inches away, possibly perminantly blinding them almost certainly causing a trip to the hospital/dentist.

My point wasnt that someone may have their goggles off, it was that when you swing an M16 around a corner without looking you may clip somebodys gogles and knock them off. Now you wont of course of seen this becuase you are around the corner, so you will pull the trigger and may just empty several rounds into somebodys unprotected face from a couple of inches away, possibly perminantly blinding them almost certainly causing a trip to the hospital/dentist.

My point was from comments made in the Main Thread, I believe you have a valid point.

Archived