SA80

mig_eater

I'd be greatful if a Mod could Pin this

OK the Definative (well ish) guide to everything Airsoft SA80 related, this is simplistic to cater for everyone

Firstly don't take it apart more than you have to, it uses self taping screws so the plastic gets chewed a little bit more each time

Is there a metal body for the SA80?

No, Airsoft Club say they make them but they just take your money and run

What can I do about the Susat issues?

Use my guide here: SUSAT Guide

Can I replace the SUSAT with Iron Sights?

No, the real iron sights are too heavy for the supports so they'll break off (taking a large amount of plastic with them) within a couple of weeks

What can be easily replace?

buttplate, dust cover, cheek pad.

With a little ability the foregrip can be replacesd but it requires cutting for battery access, also require the buying of a real SA80 sling swivel and retaining bolt, note the real one doesn't have the 4 little screws at the back either so getting it to stay on is tricky

Can I just whack a new m100 spring in?

No it burns out the motor very fast and gives a very low RoF, you would need to replace, the spring, gears, motor (not easy as there is no more powerful one of the same size), and get a 8.4/9.6V battery

Can I swap out the barrel?

Yes, but it requires the purchase of a TM Hop-up Unit, and a bit of ducttape for the barrel supports

Why won't it take M16 mags? the real one does!

because academy messed up with the measuring tape.

it can accept M16 mags with a bit of dremeling (PM for instructions)

How do I get the damn sling on?

Photos will follow shortly

Any other questions search then if you can't find it PM me rather than clogging the forum with duplicate threads :)

Cheers

Mig

There is limited sticky space and this thread does have appeal limited only to SA80 fans.

However, I will list it with a direct link in the Newbie Guide thread pinned in Newbie Discussion ;)

Unfortunately, if we pinned every thread that deserved it, normal threads would never be seen :)

a new barrel/hop unit also needs an extended feed tube thats a pain in the bum to make, even if you have the right tools, so i just used the botom off the acrapemy one and glued it over an Mp5 hop(i guess it would work with an m16 one as well).

One thing has always puzzeled me. Why do people insist on taking a Dremmel, file, hacksaw, etc, etc, to their SA80 in order to fit a hi-cap mag. Why not just buy a couple of Academy hi-cappas. It's what I did and it's less hassel.

Plus, the academy mags don't feel as nice as a TM mag, and the ability to use STAR 30rd locaps is always handy. Plus the two acadamy mags I have feel wrong. I don't know why the feel wrong, they just do. It's probably because I ahd an M16 before and I was used to the metal 5.56 mags, but the academy mags just don't work for me.

They're both good points. It just struck me as being odd buying something and then butchering it to fit something that was made by somebody else when something made by the original maker was available. Not that it matters though. I'm happy with my Academy hi-cappas.

they are butchering it, technicaly, they are fixing it :P since the sa80 is actuly ment to be able to use m16 mags

I suppose it depends on your perspective. In theory, all parts of any given airsoft replica (from any maker) should be interchangeable with each other, but we know that they're not. Some replicas (and knock-offs of replicas) are more accurate than others. So, 'butchering it' and 'fixing it' are equally accurate.

Ive put a lot of serious thought into making an LSW or an SA80 with a lot of metal parts etc but now i know theres no way of upgrading the motor theres really no point is there?

Are you sure a FAMAS one couldnt fit to pull back at least an M90?

Also if the 8.4v battery wont fit in a SA80 foregrip theres no way its going to fir in an L86 right?

Hi,

ok i've had a couple of people ask so apparently i didn't explain it well. an 8.4V will fit in the foregrip, however to get it into the real steel foregrip you need to dremel an access hatch or something so you can change batteries etc.

on the motor side of things leave it with me i may have found a solution that won't require dremeling etc. but i need to check a few specs etc.

the famas one will fit but it's identical so i don't see much point in fitting it.

I have a Systema 1J in at the moment and it does work(sluggishly), but i just put it in to see and am not risking cycling it more than neccesary till i figure what to do. on the upside my full metal body is looking promising.

Cheers

mig

The FA-MAS motor is NOT the same as the Academy one.

It's the same size but it has different windings inside it. It has a lot more torque and the ability to handle more powerful springs and higher voltage batteries.

I'll let you know when any other nonsense is said.

no Jordan, we cant. TM give not a flying turd aout the uk airsoft market, or even anywere outside of japan, this has also been said many times.

Are you sure a FAMAS one couldnt fit to pull back at least an M90?

Also if the 8.4v battery wont fit in a SA80 foregrip theres no way its going to fir in an L86 right?

funny lots of people say the academy motor is identical to the EG560. its not. theres an EG560 working the M100 in my L85 right now

lots of people also say its impossible to fit a large 8.4V battery. Odly enough, theres one in mine too..

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be greatful if a Mod could Pin this

OK the Definative (well ish) guide to everything Airsoft SA80 related, this is simplistic to cater for everyone

Firstly don't take it apart more than you have to, it uses self taping screws so the plastic gets chewed a little bit more each time

Is there a metal body for the SA80?

No, Airsoft Club say they make them but they just take your money and run

What can I do about the Susat issues?

Use my guide here: SUSAT Guide

Can I replace the SUSAT with Iron Sights?

No, the real iron sights are too heavy for the supports so they'll break off (taking a large amount of plastic with them) within a couple of weeks

What can be easily replace?

buttplate, dust cover, cheek pad.

With a little ability the foregrip can be replacesd but it requires cutting for battery access, also require the buying of a real SA80 sling swivel and retaining bolt, note the real one doesn't have the 4 little screws at the back either so getting it to stay on is tricky

Can I just whack a new m100 spring in?

No it burns out the motor very fast and gives a very low RoF, you would need to replace, the spring, gears, motor (not easy as there is no more powerful one of the same size), and get a 8.4/9.6V battery

Can I swap out the barrel?

Yes, but it requires the purchase of a TM Hop-up Unit, and a bit of ducttape for the barrel supports

Why won't it take M16 mags? the real one does!

because academy messed up with the measuring tape.

it can accept M16 mags with a bit of dremeling (PM for instructions)

How do I get the damn sling on?

Photos will follow shortly

Any other questions search then if you can't find it PM me rather than clogging the forum with duplicate threads :)

Cheers

Mig

i really wish TM MADE A SA80 L85A2!

Archived