Tanaka SAA Gas tube extension

El_Hombre

Ok, I got my SAA just today and it's great, yadda yadda blah.

Frankly, the gas extension sucks.

When I put it to the fill nozzle of the SAA cylinder, it leaks like there's no tomorrow on the tube => cylinder connection. Is there any sort of clever fix for this? Teflon tape, o-rings, the magical magic of purple dancing Ubar hippos?

Plus, I have a tiny, tiny o-ring, a hex key/Alen wrench and some odd thing that looks like a sort of disassembly key made from flat steel stock. Any idea WTF these are?

Thanks.

Ok, I got my SAA just today and it's great, yadda yadda blah.

Frankly, the gas extension sucks.

When I put it to the fill nozzle of the SAA cylinder, it leaks like there's no tomorrow on the tube => cylinder connection. Is there any sort of clever fix for this? Teflon tape, o-rings, the magical magic of purple dancing Ubar hippos?

Plus, I have a tiny, tiny o-ring, a hex key/Alen wrench and some odd thing that looks like a sort of disassembly key made from flat steel stock. Any idea WTF these are?

Thanks.

:lol: Let me know if you figure them out. tape the extention to the nozzle on your gas can might help reduce the spillage a little. Also, decock the hammer completely if the nozzle on the can is still not quite long enough with the extention on. The odd looking key is for unscrewing the cylinder end. It's shown in the manual unless you didn't get a manual.

My approach (thanks to R22 for help with this):

1) Cock hammer to first position

2) Rotate cylinder til valve is visible

3) Decock hammer

4) Stand SAA on end, so it is standing on the barrel

5) Press extension tube onto valve so it is also upright

6) Line up gas can

7) Ensure fingers are clear of any venting gas

8) Go for broke.

Works for me. That said, the Chiefs Special is easier to load, cos if you remove one screw, you can take the cylinder off the frame. :P

:zorro:

My approach (thanks to R22 for help with this):

1) Cock hammer to first position

2) Rotate cylinder til valve is visible

3) Decock hammer

4) Stand SAA on end, so it is standing on the barrel

5) Press extension tube onto valve so it is also upright

6) Line up gas can

7) Ensure fingers are clear of any venting gas

8) Go for broke.

Yep, that's the way to go.

I guess if I get a chance, I'll scan the SAA manual and post it in my review. It can be a bit tricky considering I don't have a scanner myself. :lol:

Me either. In fact I don't even know where mine is....the fill tube though....is like the Holy Grail. Don't lose it or you'll have to fabricate something.

Personally, after years of use, I just don't give a rip if I spray gas while I'm filling the gun. Hmm. that didn't sound right did it.

It happens. I'd say....just get used to it. If it leaks....that's something else, but a little spray back. Pshaw.

Has anyone figured out how to remove the cylinder easily from a Tanaka SAA for gas refilling.

I've only tried the action on someone elses SAA but I've never disassembled one.

From the diagram there appears to be front and rear halves of a shaft holding the cylinder in and you need to disassemble the frame to remove the rear half of the shaft ?

Could an extension be added to the front half of the shaft to extend all the way through the cylinder so you only need to remove the shaft from the front to take the cylinder out of the frame (as with the real steel) ?

Chris.

Could an extension be added to the front half of the shaft to extend all the way through the cylinder so you only need to remove the shaft from the front to take the cylinder out of the frame (as with the real steel) ?

Chris.

Unfortunately, nope.

The front shaft is easily removed without any tools, but the back shalf needs the hammer to be removed first, and to remove the hammer, you have to just remove the grip, in which case, you pretty much strip the gun.

It's certainly not worth the trouble for filling gas purposes only.

Ah ha, found this thread again...

First have reference to a 'dismountable' cylinder SAA upcoming.

Google translating SEEMS to suggest it'll let yet fill the gas much easier... :)

Could be the answer to your prayers...

Sledge, I know you've told us before, but which barrel size does your SAA have?

Cheers.

4 and 3/4 inch. Wanted the short one for fast draw and twirling. So, a thoroughly sensible choice for sound skirmishing reasons. :D And if their is a way to easily remove the SAA cylinder to re-gas, I'd love it! I could throw my two loading nozzles away! :D Or at least, the one I can find. <_<

Archived