HFC Mauser 'Broomhandle'.

I've been after one of these since they first came out, but as soon as I had the money, everyone was out of stock. Airsoft Scotland was the first to re-stock, so they got my cash, and I got my Mauser. It only arrived today and I've not had the chance to fire it, so this is just my first impressions.

The first thing that you notice when you open the package is the weight. This thing is heavy! Nowhere on the package does it say 'Mauser'. It doesn't say 'Broomhandle', or 'C96' either. So what's actually in the box?

I'm not going to go into the history of this well known pistol. I'm not give a list of the assorted models either. Just trust me when I say that it's not a C96. It's a M712.

The M712 is the Select-Fire version of the 'Broomhandle' range. The tell-tale sign is the Selector lever that sits above the pistol grip. The removeable magazine is key signature of the M712, although later models of the C96 had this feature as well.

What you get for your money is a full metal replica of the Mauser. The only plastic I can see is the carridge that the trigger mechanism, etc, is attached to. The whole thing feels solidly made. Nothing creaks when you handle it. The finish is good as well. It has a sort of parkerised finish. It's spray paint, but it's well done. The ramp sight on the top functions correctly, but the calibration to 1000 metres is obviously optimistic for an airsoft replica. The only down side is the magazine. Although it's purpose made for the pistol, it's a sloppy fit. Once inserted, it does rattle. Not good. On the upside though, the pistol does have a nicely fitted brass inner barrel. The adjustable hop-up is sited on the front end of the bolt, just behind the breech. It's also externally adjustable, even with the magazine fitted. The next question is; Why is it so cheap?

There are obvious signs of cost cutting here. The most noticable are the lack of markings. There aren't any! The pistol isn't a blow-back model. OK, there are other non-blow backs, but the Mauser isn't even self cocking. The mech used appears to be a variation of what's used in a revolver. Each pull of the trigger will chamber a pellet, while at the same time, the hammer will move back to the firing position. Once the trigger has been fully pulled, it will then fly forward and strike the rod that controls the gas. Watching the action work is rather amusing.

On the rear of the gun there are two rods. One controls the pellet, the other, the gas. On the real Mauser, the hammer would stike a firing pin that protrudes from the rear bolt face. On this replica, that 'firing pin' controls the pellets that are in the magazine. When you pull the trigger, the 'firing pin' moves forwards to chamber a pellet! Weird huh? The rod that controls the gas sits lower down and is struck by the lower portion of the hammer.

On the rear of the pistol grip is a cut-out to accept the wooden stock. I've no idea if a real, or replica stock would fit, but I'd like to find out. The rendering of the wooden grips is OK, but proper wood would be nicer.

Considering how long it took me to get this gun, I'd say that HFC are onto a winner. It's a very nicely done gas gun for under £90.

How about a full auto M712 with full trades then HFC?

>> OK, there are other non-blow backs, but the Mauser isn't even self cocking... Each pull of the trigger will chamber a pellet, while at the same time, the hammer will move back to the firing position. Once the trigger has been fully pulled, it will then fly forward and strike the rod that controls the gas. Watching the action work is rather amusing.

This is common to ALL NBBs, not just revolvers or this gun. Only a GBB is able to 'self cock' as you describe.

Cheers.

OK, here's a quick update.

I've fired it. It wasn't outdoors, but it's better than nothing (for the moment). The trigger pull is nice and smooth. It's also not heavy. You should be able to crack off the entire contents of the magazine without getting tired. Without annd ammo loaded, the muzzle report sounds like a pistol with a sliencer. It makes a 'phut' sound. With a loaded mag, it's more of a 'crack'! The first firing, I used 2 .2g BB's. I've got two of those cheapo P90 AEG's (No, they're not mine. I bought them for a pair of SG1 fans) sat on a shelf. Both rounds went straight through the cardboard box. Straight through the poly insert, before lodging under the sight that was sat in its compartment.

I then loaded the mag with around 8 BB's and used a double thick cardboard box as a target. All the rounds went straight through the top of the box and sevearly damaged the rear side.

When I've taken the gun outside, I'll let you know more.

Lastly, I looked at the CMR International website for 'goodies'. Cheap they're not, but 'goodies they have.

http://www.btinternet.com/~cmr.international/

I'll take a wooden stock with the full leather holster rig and a pair of wooden grips.

(When I win the Lottery).

OK folks. I've taken the Mauser outside and put it through its paces. I used a pot plant as a target that was the other side of the garden. That plant has aquired a few holes, but lost a few leaves. I only emptied one mag worth of ammo into it but, all shots except one were on target. One round (half way through the mag) dropped short. Why, I don't know. I then 'plinked' at just about everything else I could aim at. On the whole, everything went where I wanted it too (within reason). Pistols are not the most accurate weapons on the planet, so if I got to within a foot of where I was aiming, I was happy. There was some cooling of the mag, but since I was on a 'bang fest' it's not surprising. I doubt if this would happen in a game.

One irritation is the weight. This thing weighs over a kilo and most of the weight is forward of the firing hand. It don't half make your wrist ache if you're on an extended 'blat everything' mission. Again, not a problem if you're using one as a back-up in a game.

If I had to give the Mauser marks out of 5, I'd give it 4. It loses a mark for not being blowback and not having full trades. The price, metal construction, finish and built quality,(and the very fact that it exists an an airsoft replica) entitles it to those 4 marks.

You have convinced me that I need one. Did the one that you bought come with the standard mag that sits flush, or the longer extended one?

I know this has been mentioned before, and I'm seen the other threads, but I was just wondering if anyone had stumbled across extra mags? Standard or long ones, doesn't matter. I heard the Maurshin NBB mags fit "99%", but I've never heard from anyone if they feed properly or not.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

The HFC re-make is of the later model Mausers, the M712 variants, which introduced the extended box-type removable magazines.

I've seen advertisements for the original C-96 style magazines, but only in kanji...

The Marushin magazines fit, but don't function correctly in the HFC version.

I was sure the HFC only came with the longer magazines, but I thought I saw a picture with the C-96 magazine advertised as a HFC M712 , "I think it was on KickinBBs or something of that sort, and they don't export." I could be remembering wrong.

Thats what I'm hearing about those Marushin NBB mags. Shame.....

Maybe sometime soon HFC wil release extra mags for the M712 .

You have convinced me that I need one. Did the one that you bought come with the standard mag that sits flush, or the longer extended one?

The Mauser comes with an 'extended' mag as standard. It would be nice to see a (in C96 terms) a standard mag as the whole item would nicely into the shoulder stock.

Early C96's didn't have a detachable mag. They were all top loaders. This replica does have the slot for the ammo clip at the rear of the breech.

I realize that, but there was a picture on KickBB advertising the HFC M712 with a standard "flush" magazine. Lemme find the link and I'll post it up.

And if anyone else is looking for magazines, as stated, Marushin NBB mags DO NOT function properly. GunsNGuys HAD the longer style for the HFC M712 in stock, but they are now sold out. I got an email from them saying it might be awhile until they get them back in stock.

EDIT: Heres the link: http://www.kicbbgun.com.tw/shop/product_in...bf380fe8b966767 . For some reason it won't load, or their site is temperairly down.

Edited by solution_zero
  • 2 weeks later...
So do you truly reccommend this gun?

I can't say 'rush out and buy one' as what I've written are nothing more than my thoughts on the subject. So, you really need to get a second opinion from another owner. However, they do seem to be selling rather well (a friend in a local team has bought one and there's interest from other members) and I've yet to read anything bad about them.

I can't say 'rush out and buy one' as what I've written are nothing more than my thoughts on the subject. So, you really need to get a second opinion from another owner. However, they do seem to be selling rather well (a friend in a local team has bought one and there's interest from other members) and I've yet to read anything bad about them.

thank you, i think ill get it as a second pistol i like the looks it is well rounded.

:D Is this the one on the box marked as a 'box cannon' ??? with the longer mag?

If so I have one - and she rocks!! took it to electrowerkz with '.heavies' in it to punish those who wouldn't take their hits!!

It is a lovely heavy pistol and v-pretty to look at, it certainly got some smiles when I whipped it out of my case. The accuracy is pretty good but holding it just makes me feel all Han Solo lololol...

Now I just have to sort out my Corellian Smuggler Loadout!!!! :D:D

• 3 weeks later...
:D  Is this the one on the box marked as a 'box cannon' ??? with the longer mag?

If so I have one - and she rocks!! took it to electrowerkz with '.heavies' in it to punish those who wouldn't take their hits!!

It is a lovely heavy pistol and v-pretty to look at, it certainly got some smiles when I whipped it out of my case. The accuracy is pretty good but holding it just makes me feel all Han Solo lololol...

Now I just have to sort out my Corellian Smuggler Loadout!!!!  :D  :D

Yes, it is called the box cannon. Don't know why tho

• 4 weeks later...