G&G UMG or Star UMP

Sniper Mania 345

Although the G&G UMG has had a lot of good reports, id say that the star UMP has a slightly better build. Sure, it isn't metal but is sturdy as hell and feels real nice to the touch.

G&G version comes with a slightly higher FPS out of the box but i would definitely upgrade either gun.

UMP pros: Feels very nice, cool magazines with fake bullets, can take battery with more Mah(i think), comes with carry case.

UMG pros: more metal, slightly higher fps out of the box.

Either. They are both good guns.

They use a version three gearbox.

Read my thread on the UMG, here: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=28804

And the UMG review, here: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviewpost/...2/cat/16/page/1

As well as the review on the Star, here: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=27521

I'll summarize my experience with the UMG so far for you:

Very solid feel, excellent design, excellent materials quality, shoots great, good battery storage, great standard mag, good ROF and FPS out of the box, great extra features (all rails included and working bolt catch), solid overall build quality internally and externally.

However, my gun did have some internal flaws:

1. The piston head bolt came loose causing a lot of damage in my gun. AEX replaced the parts for free (and would have fixed it for free as well, but I opted to do it myself). This shouldn't happen. To be sure it doesn't, you can go in and locktight the bolt.

2. My gun had the double-feed issue (which I fixed by changing the bucking), but this should be solved with the new tappet plate that just came out (free fix which should be performed by your dealer before they send or otherwise give you the gun).

3. My gun was missing a shim on the sector gear, which was causing it to lock up (fixed it myself). I've never heard of this happening with another UMG, it seems mine was an isolated case.

Note that I bought one of the very first ones available, so I'm not surprised I ran into issues.

Other concerns are that the mags have not yet become available, but they should have shipped out this week from what AEX told me. Though the standard mags are great, the hicap remains untested. Also note the UMG standard holds like half as much as the Star's standard.

I don't really know that much about the Star, but I'd be surprised if it had less metal on it (excluding the obvious - the fact that it doesn't come with as many rails).

It's cool that the Star comes with the case.

If I had to do it again, I'd still buy the UMG. I just have more faith in G&G than Star to support the product when/if it has a design flaw (example - the tappet plate thing), and to all-around just make a better product. Not that Star stuff is bad, I just don't find their attention to detail, materials, and manufacturing quality to be quite as good as G&G.

UMP pros: Feels very nice, cool magazines with fake bullets, can take battery with more Mah(i think

The UMG has more flexibility when it comes to batteries than the Star UMP. You can fit a 9.6v 1650 mAh pack in the UMG (in fact it's designed for it), or common 8.4v stick batteries. The Star can only take very specific stick batteries (they have to have flat wire to even fit). The one Star sells is 8.4v 1700 mAh, which is slightly higher capacity, but lower voltage.

Got a source for that? I HIGHLY doubt Star's gearbox is made by TM, but what do I know? It is a v3 design. The hop up unit is a G36-style unit incidentally. This is because the Star UMP was originally relesed in limited numbers as a conversion kit for the G36C.

The UMG gearbox is a v3, it's a copy of TM's v3 made by G&G.

• 3 weeks later...
I wouldnt have a STAR UMP if it was given to me lol Id have to go with G&G one now.

And why is that, may i ask?

Sure, it is Stars first AEG but they are reliable and ive heard nothing but praise about the Star UMP's. However, the G&G UMG is a different story. Ive heard things about their gearboxes being dodgy. This may not be completely true but so far, G&G haven't exactly had the best track record.

Anyway, im not being partial to either. Each one to his own.

I was looking at making the same choice between Star and G&G... in my opinion though, the fake bullets and better trades don't hold a candle to 9.6v batteries and 500+ round hi-caps. Lets face it, with the UMG you can just mag cinch two hi-caps together and be good to go for just about any skirmish without having to worry about finding pouches and vests to carry the awkward sized magazines.

Having not touched the star I cannot make a comparison, but I can say that the g&g umg that I have is a nice gun. it fires nice, it feels nice, it is just a solid gun.

Yes there were issues with the tappet plate, but with the replacement no more double feeding. I have not had any trouble with this gun as of yet, and I reccomend it.

And why is that, may i ask?

Sure, it is Stars first AEG but they are reliable and ive heard nothing but praise about the Star UMP's. However, the G&G UMG is a different story. Ive heard things about their gearboxes being dodgy. This may not be completely true but so far, G&G haven't exactly had the best track record.

Anyway, im not being partial to either. Each one to his own.

Dude i had far to many problems with mine, in the end i swapped it for a ICS MP5.

The battery wouldnt fit properly (zero one sent me 3 different battries over a 6 week paeriod) eventually i got the proper one, and when i did the whole gun would over heat, the gear box wouldnt turn over and that just did it for me really. The only good thing about it is that the case it comes in is nice.

Cheers

Archived