P90, Real vs. Airsoft

eltee

As a cop I have access to a variety of weapons for work. I recently bought my first TM P90TR. I love it. I added the metal body and a flashlight attachment. I will be adding the real steel sling, factory optical sight (yes, turning my TR into the red dot but on the real P90, the sight is black by day and red by night) and some other pieces.

FYI, a REAL P90 magazine fits, it just sits a little high in the back where the bullets feed. Here are some photos I took comparing my airsoft P90 and the real one. The photo of the magazines shows a real mag with ammo, a regular cap TM mag and the high cap airsoft mag.

If there is any interest in my doing comparisons of real and airsoft guns, I can do the M4, HK MP5 series, etc.

I only recently got involved in airsoft due to its use in some CQB training I conduct, we use simunitions, aiirsoft, airmunitions, paintball, etc. and I went to a really great airsoft store and got HOOKED.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although "real-steel" discussion is frowned upon around here, I'm pretty sure everybody would agree that those pic's are very interesting.

Does the spring on the real P90 charging handle rattle and clatter like the airsoft one? :D

While I'm at it, what's the weight compare like and does the metal reeiver make alter the balance of the airsoft gun or make it more realistic?

As a fan of the P90TR it annoys me that nobody does a metal receiver of the TR. I really don't want to use a pokey little red-dot when I've got a perfectly good aimpoint.

Beyond that, I'm guessing that the mag' makes a big difference to the comparative weights?

Although "real-steel" discussion is frowned upon around here, I'm pretty sure everybody would agree that those pic's are very interesting.

Does the spring on the real P90 charging handle rattle and clatter like the airsoft one? :D

While I'm at it, what's the weight compare like and does the metal reeiver make alter the balance of the airsoft gun or make it more realistic?

As a fan of the P90TR it annoys me that nobody does a metal receiver of the TR. I really don't want to use a pokey little red-dot when I've got a perfectly good aimpoint.

Beyond that, I'm guessing that the mag' makes a big difference to the comparative weights?

Oooops. Pardon me...being a newbie I was unaware that real steel gun stuff was problematic on this site. I apologize and if it is against policy I will stop.

The ambidextrous charging handle does not clatter, the gun is pretty stealthy.

On my airsoft, I used the metal receiver and a tri-rail mounting system...turning my airsoft into a metal upper TR model. However, I am getting the real steel optical sighting system so I will have to remove the tri-rail if I want to install it. It will be interesting to see if the tolerances are close enough for the real optics to fit in the airsoft body.

Weightwise, they are within a pound or two of each other. I need to put a real mag full of live rounds on the scale with the airsoft gun to make it a fair comparsion as a full load of airsoft plastic bb's is way lighter than a magazine loaded with real bullets. If this discussion is allowed to continue, I will do the weighing and report back.

Well, so long as you keep making points relative to comparison to airsoft I think it should be OK.

I'm pretty sure most people here would be interested to hear any insight into how realistic thier airsoft guns are.

Personally, the one thing I desperately wish airsoft manufacturers would do is fit some kind of a latch to the hop-up so, every time you change a mag, you did actually need to cycle the charging handle before the BBs could get into the hop-up.

Yes, Sp00n is correct. My airsoft p90 is on the top, the real below. The flashlight on the real P90 is a Surefire using an ARMS quick detach mount that allows you to quickly remove the flashlight for a tactical reason of if you need a handheld light to find the bathroom. :lol:

One of you asked about weights and balance. The real and airsoft P90s (at least mine with the metal body, tri rail and light) are nose heavy. Nice to help keep muzzle climb down on the real one, but seems to not cause a problem on my airsoft.

When my FN sighting system arrives, I'm heading back to the airsoft shop to see if we can get it to fit, and I will also be having my P90 modified for better performance.

FYI, FN sells their P90 for about $1,200.00 base price to law enforcement. I have already invested close to a third of that for my airsoft P90 and I'm not done yet. You folks have an addictive hobby...

Wow, cant get over how similar that looks to the real steel, fancy doing an AUG comparison?

I'd like to, but I don't know of any local agencies using the military/police (full auto) AUG around my area. We pretty much use HK's, Sig assault rifles, M16/M4 variants and the P90. Would there be interest if I did a comparison using a civilian version (semi-auto only) of the AUG as there are quite a few in civilian hands around, and I think the local airsoft shop would let me borrow an airsoft version for testing.

I'd like to, but I don't know of any local agencies using the military/police (full auto) AUG around my area. We pretty much use HK's, Sig assault rifles, M16/M4 variants and the P90. Would there be interest if I did a comparison using a civilian version (semi-auto only) of the AUG as there are quite a few in civilian hands around, and I think the local airsoft shop would let me borrow an airsoft version for testing.

I think this guy might be handy to have around. ;)

Regarding your earlier comments about how addictive airsoft is I agree totally.

It's one thing (for civilians) to use guns for target shooting or hunting but even at the low power airsoft uses it's a whole different ballgame to actually have something you can use to shoot at your mates. :D

There's another thread discussing how come some real steel guns are actually cheaper than airsoft equivalents but that kind of relates to the whole "not being able to charge about in the forest and shoot people with them" thing as well.

Welcome to the club eltee :) yeah I have spent a tad more than that on gear since I started airsoft. Nice to see the comparisons between the two (I would love to try the real P90 but over hear I don't think I'll get the chance). I am green with envy ;)

When my FN sighting system arrives, I'm heading back to the airsoft shop to see if we can get it to fit, and I will also be having my P90 modified for better performance.

Ohhh man this is one gun that I wish it would be available to the civilian market here in CA... :(

Anyway do you think it will be possible for you to post some pictures of the FN sight when you received it??? and if it's o.k. to ask what is the M.S.R.P. of the sight?

thanx "eltee" and welcome to the boards... :)

thats some very scary info, considering i let my brother use my P90 TR now i have an m16. oh and a note for anti gun groups: HE SAID THE MAGAZINE FITS NOT THE SHELL YOU CANNOT FIRE A LIVE 5.7MM ROUND FROM AN AIRSOFT WEAPON.

edit: or any other bullet, shell, round or charge other than the 6mm ball bearing.

but when the civilian P90 comes out, me wonders how much it will run me...that and my SL-8

But FN dont deal with the civil market. anyware. nor will they even respond to inquires as to the purchase of sighting systems in the uk from civilians(or my junk folder swallowed the replie):P .

:o

I love you.  You will marry me so I may use your P90's. ;)

I'm a little tied up right now and therefore unable to entertain proposals. In addition to being a full time cop, I work with prop guns for the entertainment world. This is what I was doing Saturday night, and I've also attached a closeup photo of the real P90 to highlight the Surefire light and the A.R.M.S. mount.

Im guesing your the one on the right. lol.

What type of cop are you. I thought only armourers could work with prop guns for entertainment.

You may WISH I was the one on the right! :D

I am a lieutenant, 20 + years on the job. Specialize in tactical, CQB and what they now call "Rapid Response to Active Shooter" teams. My connection with movie/TV props has little to do with my law enforcement career. I am a source for police related wardrobe (badges, uniforms), set decorations and firearms. I've also attached a photo of one of my rooms, but I don't want to stray too far from the airsoft topics here.

S'funny. I thought you could buy a P90 sight? I'm sure it's do-able in the UK. After all, it's not a weapon.

Thanks for pointing out that my TM P90 won't chamber and fire an SS190 round. I was beginning to wonder. :rolleyes::D

There is actually a company in Great Britain that markets an optional sight for the P90...fits right in where the original goes. I suspect it would cost more, way more, than the airsoft P90. When my sight gets here, I'll see if it fits in the airsoft. I was tempted to remove the one from the real P90 when I was taking the photos, but I didn't want to "unZero" anything.

Archived