AUG Trigger Pull Modifications?

Linezilla

My Steyr AUG has been treating me well, but as of late the trigger pull for semi-firing mode has become a bit finicky.

Upon pulling the trigger I must overcome an initial high pressure barrier to enter into the semi fire mode. The pull between the initial tension and full auto tension barrier is a large one. That is not the problem though, the problem is that the the motor does not register the semi trigger pull until I am practically entering into the full-auto trigger mode (too small of a "window" in a seemingly large trigger pull). So it can be difficult to pop of repetitive semi shots, and sometimes leaves me no choice but to pull so far that I must engage full-auto mode.

Are there any known modifications or aftermarket parts I can purchase that will make semi-auto firing less of a workout for my trigger finger (perhaps even removing the initial pressure barrier), and cause me to lose less bb's?

It is also important to note, that this problem became less prominent upon upgrading the Aug to a 9.6v 2000mah battery. But it is still a problem nonetheless, and as battery life depletes the problem becomes more prevalent.

It is a known fact with augs. The problem is that since it is made by Tokyo Marui - they dont release a fix for this since it isnt crucial to the guns ability to "shoot" and operate. I have an AUG and i dont know any aftermarket parts to fix this. Would be glad to have them though. Maybe someone else knows.

Usually this happens when the gearbox starts slipping back further in the back half of the gun. Usually if you put some kinda padding in there to force it further forward it will fix.

however, this is not the case with all. I know mike does not fire in semi any more... I just deal with it and shoot short bursts.

this is one thing i hope is fixed in the ca aug

Try lubing the trigger.. there's a lot of friction.

If that doesn't work straight away, repost ;)

Edit: the gearbox will only move back if the rear plate is removed, or in the immediate vicinity of a Black Hole. YMMV.

My Steyr AUG has been treating me well, but as of late the trigger pull for semi-firing mode has become a bit finicky.

Are there any known modifications or aftermarket parts I can purchase that will make semi-auto firing less of a workout for my trigger finger (perhaps even removing the initial pressure barrier), and cause me to lose less bb's?

The Steyr safety is a simple 2-step block - a deep notch on the right side allows the trigger to be depressed all the way to effect SAFETY OFF mode, and the full thickness of the bar on the left prevents the trigger from gettting depressed, effecting SAFE ON mode. By cutting another step only half as deep as the notch, as shown in the following diagram, then adding a corresponding index stop, it would now be possible to have switchable dedicated SEMI auto operation. The SEMI step need only be wide enough to allow the trigger to be pulled (about half the width of the OFF notch) so that there'd still be some of the safety block left to effect SAFE mode.

steyr_aug_safety_mod.jpg

One Finnish competition shooter modified his AUG trigger (real steel, but the trick is adaptable to airsoft) to actuate via a rocking trigger instead of moving straight back. Basically he made the front of the trigger flat, drilled a place for the extra trigger pin, and made an extra trigger with a small bushing pressing the actual trigger. Trigger pull was reduced to about a half, and even Steyr themselves have been interested in this modification.

-Sale

Actually im looking at the piece right now that i should modify, and im not sure which side i should cut into. The diagram is a but dumbed down. Any detailed pictures of the process?

If you look closely at the posted picture.. particularly at the part labelled ST-17, you'll notice that the left side (end) has more material - that's where you make the cut. The diagrams showing the cuts are top views of the same piece.

Normally, the safety positions either in/out the left or the right side. After modifying and adding the middle index notch, it should click into an intermediate position exactly even on either/both sides.

I think I have an easier way to fix this.

Strip the aug down to the lower reciever. You may need to remove the gear box (not hard anyway) to do this. I don't have my aug in front of me.

With the lower reciever in hand, pull the trigger. Take note of the plastic piece that moves in the lower reciever. Just underneath that plastic piece are 2 small plastic stops, one on each side of the weapon. Those stops are supported by 2 little springs which push the stops up into a notch on that large plastic piece (the one that moves when you pull the trigger)

Remove the trigger assembly and remove those two plastic stops. This lets you run the trigger from semi to auto without any "clicking" noises, and smoothly. Most importantly its free and it doesn't permanently affect the weapon.

(when you pull the trigger assembly apart, be careful because those springs will take flight)

If you have a picture of the aug disassembly you can see the stops pretty clearly.

With the lower reciever in hand, pull the trigger. Take note of the plastic piece that moves in the lower reciever. Just underneath that plastic piece are 2 small plastic stops, one on each side of the weapon. Those stops are supported by 2 little springs which push the stops up into a notch on that large plastic piece (the one that moves when you pull the trigger)

Remove the trigger assembly and remove those two plastic stops. This lets you run the trigger from semi to auto without any "clicking" noises, and smoothly. Most importantly its free and it doesn't permanently affect the weapon.

While this mod will certainly smoothen out the trigger pull.. it does not eliminate accidental full auto. The safety mod, on the other hand, will provide a definite semi only setting (when properly done) without any possibility of accidentally slipping into full auto mode. However, your suggestion may be combined with the safety mod, resulting in 100% semi-auto function and smoother trigger pull.

Hold your horses! This is, as described, a typical problem with AUG's.

All you have to do is place som material at the top of the plastic thing, that pushes the gearbox forward. This has solved the problem on many AUG's, that have been my way.

Archived