Tutorial: painting to simulate wood.

rhino

Buying my CA870 CQB full stock shotgun by Maruzen was just the first part...

Then came the G&P long barrel set to make it look more menacing...

Wood furniture?

Hmmm....

This all came to the fore when i couldn't source the wooden parts i was after for my Maruzen CA870. I considered buying a real M870 wood stock and foregrip but was concerned that the price might be more than i paid for the actual gun itself; that and the fact that it might not fit after buying it.

So... how was i to get wood-effect furniture for my CA870?

The answer?

Paint the stock and pumpgrip to simulate wood! Sounded good... But upon my hunt for hints on how to paint a stock to simulate wood, i drew a big blank. There were plenty of reviews showing how to enhance a wood effect on an Ak for instance, but none explaining how to start from scratch on a plain Black composite stock.

A challenge then!

The first step was to decide what type of paint to use. I needed something that was durable and wouldn't come off. I eventually settled on the Plasticote Enamel Spray paints that are available from most Model shops.

These are the paints used in this tutorial:-

1x Humbrol spray paint (Matt light Grey)

1x Plasticote spray (Tangerine)

1x Plasticote spray (Nut Brown)

1x small pot of Humbrol Enamel liquid paint (Medium Brown)

1x small pot of Humbrol Enamel liquid paint (Black)

1x enamel spray sealer

You'll also need:-

an old paintbrush

old dish for mixing the liquid enamel paints

old newspapers or covers

mask

a couple of old sponges (small)

Please note: when doing spraying always wear old overalls and work in a well ventilated area.

On with the show.

The first thing you should do is remove the parts to be sprayed and ensure that they are clean and free of muck. Once that's done, you can start to spray the undercoat. Take the light grey and spray (from 6" or so) evenly until parts are completely covered. You're always best spraying light even coats rather than one big coat. Wait until it's dry. This is where the fun starts. Take the Tangerine spray and spray a fine coat over the parts. It doesn't have to be even, as long as the grey undercoat is covered. Now while it's still wet, spray quick fine coats with the Nut Brown spray on top. Don't cover the Tangerine completely, leave parts showing through so you get a mottled brownish orange effect like this

gallery_37_179_26729.jpg

Now let it dry completely before attempting the next stage.

Once the parts are dry, mix a small amount of the liquid black and brown enamel paints (2 parts brown to 1 part black) and mix together (just roughly) so that the paint has streaks in it. Now take the brush and with a little on the tip, quickly but carefully paint the parts with quick strokes starting at the top and going straight to the bottom (the idea is not to completely paint the parts, but to lightly streak them) Make sure that the strokes are all the same way (to simulate the way the grain would go in real wood).

Now while it's still wet, carefully and lightly use the sponge to wipe the in the same direction the paint streaks are. What this does is smudges the paint and gives it a weathered look like this.

gallery_37_434_22578.jpg

Now wait until the paint dries (this may take a while)

Once dry, use a spray enamel sealer and give it an even coat all over. Once this coat has dried you've done!

The effect?

gallery_37_434_33755.jpg

gallery_37_434_18346.jpg

A simulated wood effect but without shelling out a fortune!

Result!

gallery_37_434_19125.jpg

gallery_37_434_13051.jpg

gallery_37_434_34804.jpg

gallery_37_434_12236.jpg

Ian "Rhino" Leonard

• 4 months later...

See my post above (#13)

Here's a few more pics (slightly better ones)

gallery_37_434_7722.jpg

gallery_37_434_8712.jpg

gallery_37_434_2333.jpg

gallery_37_434_3482.jpg

gallery_37_434_10549.jpg

gallery_37_434_5041.jpg

(that last one, i used a heatshield from a cheap Cyma M500-style shotgun. Looked good, but took it off as i needed the clamp for something else)

Archived