Riots in a Paris suburb?

Hillslam

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The violence began four days ago after the deaths of two teenagers, believed to be of African origin, who were electrocuted after clambering into a power sub-station while apparently fleeing police.

So, two kids die by accident and people riot? :unsure:

I see, the police are chasing two guys. While running from the police they climb over a fence into a power station and get electrocuted.

People riot....

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense but then we are only get the media perspective. Who knows what actually happened.

Give it another week and it will be pinned on the LAPD.

Okay, I am a little cynical with the media.

All very reminiscent of the French film 'La Haine'.

If you've not already seen it, it's a seminal piece of film-making about what happens to socially excluded and alienated youths in a run-down suburb.

I actually saw that last week! It was surprisingly interesting, and the ending was really good.

would you like your suspects barbecued, or extra crispy? (sorry, couldn't resist :) )

I wonder if the phrase "high voltage - keep out" meant anything to these two enterprising gentlemen who had the brilliance to not only run from the cops, but to hide in a power substation, thus giving themselves a little self administered shock therapy in the process..

And then people blame the police for what these two idiots went off and did because they're an "oppressed minority" or some BS like that, then they burn their own homes and shops down in protest... then expect the government to pay for it... BRILLIANT!!

kind of reminds me of the time my local town was in an uproar about some drunk kid who crashed into a brick building at 90 MPH while fleeing the police, and I'm sorry to say, the vehicle did not survive :(

Darwin was a genius :)

well, its like over here some 14-16 yr olds got drunk, stole a car, joy-rode it, then crashed into a wall and died, and the media are now leading a "blame the police" witchhunt cos a police car was following them at the time. The families of the criminals are "seeking the truth" about what happened. Why cant everyone just accept the truth is they broke the law by drinking, stealing a car and joyriding it, and paid the price for their own stupidity. End of.

~ferg~

I thought they ran into a subway station and got electrecuted by the "third rail"?

So far I've heard

- Electric fence.

- Power substation.

- Pikachu attack.

Anyone actually know?

Oh, as for the rioting, what can you say?

Disaffected youths + believed injustice = riot.

Do the math!

From what I understand, there has been growing political unrest within the lower middle class in many parts of France, especially that near Paris. Some attibute the recent violence to a growing distrust between the moderately poor and the police. Lack of jobs and dense urban populations add to the friction. Todays incident appears to be backlash against the death of 2 teens that were fleeing the authorities a couple days ago.

That's all I go so far.

- A

When I went into school, my teacher was playing a video from one of the French Riot Policeman's helmet cameras. It was mental, they were hiding from petrol bombs, and the other side of their van was starting to catch fire.

Something happened and the police started running and firing at the crowd, not sure if it was warning shots or some kind of baton round.

around 30 policemen were ambushed and shot last night, so in my opinion the French need to stop *beep*-footing around now and crack down. The rioters have had 10 days to stop now, so a curfew needs to be put out.. Out after 10.30pm? You'll be arrested. They also need to be able to deploy at the very least, rubber bullets.

~ferg~

I see, the police are chasing two guys.  While running from the police they climb over a fence into a power station and get electrocuted.

For those of you who remember the public information films of the 1970s (don't put cross-ply and radial tyres on the same axle, don't put Chinese takeaway foil containers in a microwave, don't let squirrels operate heavy machinery....) there was the one about the kids who go into an electricity substation to retrieve their frisbee.....

Isn't the French police equiped with assualt rifles and machine guns?  Why is it so hard to put down the riot? :huh:

Riots are touchy, mowing down a bunch of rioters doesn't look good. In fact, it's downright stupid, it encourages more rioting and could lead to full blown civil war. But letting it get out of control doesn't look good either.

I think that's why there's been a surge in less lethal technologies.

I though the French were getting a bit behind on their revolution count :P

/joke (not ment to offend anyone)

Seriously though are these still going on this must be like day 12. I hope that they die down soon. Though I am not clear on one thing are these race riots? I know about the kids getting electrocuted, but has it now turned into a race thing?

Riots are touchy, mowing down a bunch of rioters doesn't look good. In fact, it's downright stupid, it encourages more rioting and could lead to full blown civil war. But letting it get out of control doesn't look good either.

I think that's why there's been a surge in less lethal technologies.

If what has been said is true about the 30 police being shot I think its time to stop pussyfooting about this and using non lethal technolagies as has been proved over the last 11-12 days they are not working.

Archived