Grip Soldering

Spacemunky

Yep, did the soldering myself. A few things about it for those that are interested in soldering a grip: Make sure the original chequering is sanded down otherwise it interferes with your ability to do lines on the grip. Also, don't ever solder something that's been superglued unless you have a LOT of ventilation; I had previously superglued my grip because it cracked and vapours went everywhere. Not fun.

It's not the best solder job but it was my first, and I'm very happy with the results. It's not for everybody but I like my new grips!

Sorry it's a bit late, I've been busy. But a quick how-to:

1) Completely strip the grip from the rest of the gun. Separate the hammer spring compartment thing at the back, and remove the trigger and magazine release.

2) Using wet and dry paper, sand down the checkered grip patterns so that they are barely visible. You can also sand down the top of the grip a bit, to make a smoother joining between grip and frame chassis.

3) Heat up the soldering iron. Run the iron down the sides of the gun, in whatever pattern you like. Don't leave the soldering iron in one place for too long or else it will warp the plastic and make your final product look terrible with lines far too deep. Run it over smoothly and remember that the first time isn't the last time; you can do it several times in order to get a better pattern. Also, make sure you don't warp contact surfaces such as the screw holes or the magazine/trigger holes, and definitely not the slot the hammer spring slides in.

4) When you've achieved a satisfactory pattern, fit in the hammer spring compartment back into the grip, and work the same magic from 2) and 3) on it. Make sure you can still take it out afterwards; if you need, use a craft knife to keep it from melting onto the grip.

5) Fit the magazine release and the trigger back into the grip. If you need, use a file to file down areas where the soldering has warped the areas so it doesn't make a smooth fit. Use plenty of lubricant too.

6) Fit the rest of the gun together, voila!

Hope this is useful,

Cheers!

5)

Archived