Is a re-painting job necessary?

systema

Should it be re-painted (into desert camo)?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be re-painted (into desert camo)?

• Looks like shat. Re-paint is definitely in need.
    • Worn effect is...decent, although it could use a makeover.
    • Love the worn-effect. Leave as is for most part.

Just got my (all time favorite gun) CAR-15. Previous owner said his previous owner did a tan paint job. Previous owner upon receiving it claimed to have worn it down for that effect.

My take on it is he tried to strip most of the paint off. Didn't do that great of a job, but accomplished some sort of a worn down effect, that I kind of like. This however, doesn't mean it is good looking. I'm in a small dilemma whether to paint it (if so, it'll definitely be back into a desert camo*), or leave it as is.

* = See EDIT at bottom of this post.

(also, I can only seem to make my camera focus when I use flash in pitch black..so bear with me, there is only one picture where flash-in-dark is not used)

Pictures:

carbfp06.jpg

carbfp01.jpg

carbfp02.jpg

carbfp03.jpg

carbfp05.jpg

carbfp07.jpg

carbfp08.jpg

carbfp09.jpg

carbfp10.jpg

carbfp11.jpg

I'd like your opinion and suggestions.

EDIT : +1 to anyone who posts a Real Steal CAR-15 in Desert Camo. I don't even know if it exists, but it would justify a desert camo CAR-15 :D

A desert camo Car-15... woodland would seem a more obvious choice for a get tested and used in the jungle, but meh, if you have to go desert, go desert because the "worn for effect" looks like a gun thats been sanded at random to restore the original colour and given up on after a few hours.

Surely a rag with a bit of thinners on it would get rid of all that paint?

I'd try to get it back to original finish before anything else.

Beyond that, I recently "weathered" my Academy SA80 and, to do it properly, I ended up stripping it right down then painting it all with silver paint then, a couple of days later, spraying it with gloss black car paint over the top.

The polycarbonate paint bonded with the plastic and the car paint (cos there was no primer and the surface was sealed) doesn't fix terribly well.

I then went over the gun with a scouring pad to remoe black paint from all the edges and corners.

The end result is actually very subtle. So subtle in fact that hardly anybody ever mentions it.

The only time it gets mentioned is usually when people hold the gun and say "F**king hell! It's plastic!" which makes it all worth the effort. :D

Yea looks like someone did a job on this one...

I'm not a fan of painted guns, but this one needs it...

Hope it shoots well cause I got a feeling this one aint gonna win any beauty contests

Oh it does, it does. Feels like a beauty too.

CAR 15 did not exist and was never used in Desert Conditions.

I would stick to a "vietnam" paintojob, brown, green, black and white.

True, but I'm (high-)hoping somewhere out there existed a desert painted CAR-15 which happened to have it's photograph taken and signed.

Surely a rag with a bit of thinners on it would get rid of all that paint?

I'd try to get it back to original finish before anything else.

The end result is actually very subtle. So subtle in fact that hardly anybody ever mentions it.

The only time it gets mentioned is usually when people hold the gun and say "F**king hell! It's plastic!" which makes it all worth the effort.

That's pretty optimistic. Thing is, the guy who originally painted it didn't bother to cover the holes and simply sprayed all around in and out. I'm starting to think he even sprayed in the little foregrip holes for the hell of it.

I've used nail-polish remover for other paint-removing purposed before, but it left a VERY subtle discoloration on a TM Glock26Adv. Don't know if it'd do the same for this piece here too.

What kind of thinner did you use on your SA80?

I'd recommend going with the desert camo.  The worn down look is, no offense, cruddy looking.  I tried looking for a CAR-15 w/ Desert Camo, but couldn't find anything. Would I get the +1 if I photshopped one for you? :lol::P

Lightning

Yeah, I figured because I preferred desert I should go with it, but I'd like SOME evidence of a desert camo CAR-15 to satisfy me completely.

If I needed a PS job, I could/would do it myself. :D

My opinion is that it has been overly artificially and unrealistically worn.

Be careful with nail varnish remover because it is really too harsh for airsoft plastic as it melts and eats it away that is why you have discolouration. Better off using white spirit(less harsh on plastic) and some rag elbow grease. Then, if you want to return it to it's original appearance of a mid sixties weapon give, what would be the metal parts, a spray of semi-gloss black and the stock and grips a coat of matt black. I say semi-gloss because a lot of early AR-15 early M-16 variants had a paint type finish before parkerising became the norm.

Oh, what happened to the flash hider as that is a modern M16/M4 flash hider not the period CAR15 model.

I'm not sure if I read the post right but the CAR-15 DID exist (probably just meant it wasn't, to anyones knowledge, used in a desert environment). It was the forunner to the XM series and was used primarily as a special forces weapon in the early part of the war until the XM series began replacing it.

• 1 year later...

Get it black, shiny black or grey, get it black now.

And never touch it with the box mag ever again.

I would put the proper flash eliminator on it too but you don't have to. Some versions of the XM-607 and GX-5857 have the birdcage flash eliminator.

I haven't seen a painted XM-607, tiger stripe or desert. There may have been some SF guys who painted the 607 but I've never seen a pic. so just leave it black, it look the sechs that way.

Well incase he's still around. It ain't real infact it's springer but here's my CAR15 with a Desert/MC painjob. Might help him decide if by some strange chance he still hasn't.

Springers.jpg

Oh and if your reading this Sytema, let us know what you did and if you want to sell it give me first dibs.

Sure it's skeletal rape, but I bet all my imaginary rep points that someone complaining of necro posting will yell at someone for a duplicate post. You'll have to pick one.

-Sh0ty

(I support skeletal rape, but remember, it's not rape if you yell surprise)

Archived