Hurricane meta body mod

keyserSOZE

Basically you only need to cut off the rear takedown tabs (the ones through which the rear takedown pin goes), and file the area between the front hinge on the lower receiver. The latter is to let the hop up mechanism slide straight forward along with the upper receiver. It's normally covered by the hinge on the upper receiver, so there's no cosmetic damage to the gun.

I just did this on my Guarder receivers with good results. On the Guarder there's no need to file the front of the lower, as it's already shaped to let the hop up chamber slide off. In the rear there was a bit more work: On the right side there was a larger area to be filed off, not just the tabs. If KeyserSOZE approves, I could see the topic changed to "Hurricane/Guarder metal body mod for quick takedown".

The way I see it, this mod doesn't compromise rigidity of the frame, because the tabs are weak pot metal anyways. There are strong lugs in the rear of the upper receiver, that slide under the lower receiver right below the charging handle. Now I can quickly switch between a 10.5" barrel and 14.5" barrels because it's easy to swap the inner barrel also. (My outer barrel is a two piece design.)

-Sale

Is it really as easy as removing the tabs on the rear bottom portion of the receiver, the wings on the back upper part, and knotching the front top part of the lower?

Does the reciever still lock up nice and tight?

yes. its that easy...and it still very stable.

you could actually leave one of the tabs intact if you want more security. by leaving the ejection port side tab intact, you'd be able to take it down by taking both receiver pins out. you would still be able to slide the upper.

dont take off the "wings" on the back upper part. it's what will hold the upper securely.

I have a question (or two):

What brand AEG does this work for? TM, CA? The reason I ask is because I hust installed a Hurricane body on my TM M4. The first thing I noticed when I was installing the metal body was that the rigidity of the upper reciever does not allow it to flex outward and slide off of the mech box when you try to shotgun the AEG. The plastic TM upper was able to flex enough that when you shotgunned the rifle, the upper just flexed outward and slid over the mech box. I admit that I did not try to do this very hard since I didn't want to mess up a brand new upper receiver, but it seemed to me that there just wasn't enough clearance to allow it to slide over.

Is it the rear takedown pin tabs that do not allow the upper to slide over the Mechbox?

Thanks.

1st

1st Ranger: What exactly do you mean by shotgunning? You won't be able to tilt the receiver open realistically (like you can with plastic receivers) because the upper won't flex and the hop up chamber is one piece. There are also the extra lugs in the rear (third photo, circled area) that prevent tilting the gun open.

After this mod you can just remove the front pin and slide the upper receiver off the gun without tools. You need to take out the battery and help the wires out if you have a battery in the front, and naturally you also have to retract the charging handle to let it slip over the hump in the mech box. Still that's very little work compared to removing the motor, grip, stock and all pins and the mag catch.

-Sale

1st Ranger: What exactly do you mean by shotgunning? You won't be able to tilt the receiver open realistically (like you can with plastic receivers) because the upper won't flex and the hop up chamber is one piece. There are also the extra lugs in the rear (third photo, circled area) that prevent tilting the gun open.

After this mod you can just remove the front pin and slide the upper receiver off the gun without tools. You need to take out the battery and help the wires out if you have a battery in the front, and naturally you also have to retract the charging handle to let it slip over the hump in the mech box. Still that's very little work compared to removing the motor, grip, stock and all pins and the mag catch.

-Sale

Thanks Sale,

I was confused as to what this mod allowed. You are correct about my use of "shotgunning." I was under the impression that this mod allowed that to happen. But you're right, sliding theupper off of the lower is a lot less work that the alternative. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I appreciate it.

1st

Archived