Best-seal glasses?

ardrummer292

I've become a bit fed up with the whole process of finding a potentially good pair of goggles, only to read a review bashing them. Then, I find ANOTHER review praising them to high heaven. Fogging is my main concern, and goggles just aren't going to do it for me. I'm willing to take the rather miniscule risk of a random bb correctly angled to enter my eye; glasses it is!

What glasses have the best seal? Naturally, they must be Z87.1 rated at a minimum. Thanks, guys!

:rolleyes:

I've used Guarder shooting glasses, Revision Sawfly glasses, and Wiley-X Romer-IIs.

The Guarders were excellent - they came right round the side of the face, never really fogged badly, and were pretty comfy to wear. If you want the maximum area of your face covered, go for these (they're the ones with the single lense like Oakley M-Frames, not the newer dual-lense ones).

The Revision Sawfly glasses were really nice and relatively fog-free, but they leave a HUGE gap at the bottom where a BB could get in (both on my face and my dad's). After a few skirmishes I realised how big the gap was and thought "F**k me, I'm not using these any more". Now I use them as sunglasses.

The Wiley-X Romer-IIs are my current shooting glasses. They fit very snugly like Oakley Minutes (similar style) and make quite a good seal. They are quite small in area, so they cover far less of your face than the Guarders, but I can't really see a BB getting in behind these, even in CQB. The one problem is that they fog like MFers out of the case. After encountering this problem (I mean, literally, I wore them for 2 minutes with my gear one, and they fogged up through my just WALKING with them on), I decided to get some FogTech anti-fog solution, and it works like a charm. It comes off easily if you maul the glasses with your fingers, but one re-application before every day's softing and they NEVER fog unless you put the shemagh right round your mouth and deliberately breathe heavily. Oh yeah, they make super sunglasses too - they're UV-blocking (as are the Revisions, actually), look great and fit me better than my Oakley Minutes. I take these almost everywhere now!

Hope that helps mate ;)

Like Havoc said all are great choices. I have used my Okaley Minutes in a game and then decied not to risk my sunglasses. ;)

ESS Advancers are great glasses copuled with croakies. They look good too.

IMHO I would stick with goggles. My ESS LandOps goggles have NEVER fogged once. They are pretty cheap, look and function great and are the only US army aproved goggles for use over eyeware. ;)

:Dr_Evil:

Like Havoc said all are great choices. I have used my Okaley Minutes in a game and then decied not to risk my sunglasses. ;)

They're not ANSI Z87.1 rated, are they?

I've yet to use my ESS NVG Profile goggles in-game (at the moment they just sit on my helmet looking pretty :lol:), but they seems pretty good, although apparently they fog badly unless you cut away the surrounding foam filters (did that in car coming back from the military fair where I bought 'em :lol:).

They're not ANSI Z87.1 rated, are they?

I've yet to use my ESS NVG Profile goggles in-game (at the moment they just sit on my helmet looking pretty :lol:), but they seems pretty good, although apparently they fog badly unless you cut away the surrounding foam filters (did that in car coming back from the military fair where I bought 'em :lol:).

Nope they are not. At most they will stop a cricket (bug not game) at 50 mph(long story but it involved me my bike and a callenge), even then they cracked.

I have used my Land Ops in a game (they stop BB's and look pretty on my protec) and they dont fog with the filters. I think they are a great feature, ;) They stop sand, dust, and to some extent smoke. ;)

Havoc - Oakley Impact Protection.

You would think that all of their glasses undergo these tests.

Hmm, after further observations, I've come to the conclusion that I own the ESS Striker Land Ops goggles, instead of the NVG Profiles. I'm a doofus.

They fogged up a bit when I used them, but I have a feeling that doing what Havoc said (remove teh foam) will work.

EDIT - Wait, Havoc, are you talking about the ESS glasses, or the Oakleys???

i use wiley-x sg-1 vcuts (https://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=TACTICAL&SeriesCode=175&ProductLine=201,SG1V&ItemCode=70) but u may prefer xl-1s

wiley-x sent me like 2 additional sets of lenses though because they said the spec ops teams using them complained about the integrity of the lens with the vcut.. works fine or airsofting though (since they're anzi rated) and for the most part ive been fog free due to the vcuts

I used to have some Guarder C3's, and decided to test them.

I had just recieved my G&G M14, and didn't set the hop (so it shot 250fps), set the glasses up 3m away.

Let rip, about 10 beebs.

Lenses had massive stress marks on them, shaped like the BB's, could no longer see through them. Frame, cracked in half. Could no longer wear them.

I'm planning on getting some Oakley M-Frames..

I used to have some Guarder C3's, and decided to test them.

I had just recieved my G&G M14, and didn't set the hop (so it shot 250fps), set the glasses up 3m away.

Let rip, about 10 beebs.

Lenses had massive stress marks on them, shaped like the BB's, could no longer see through them. Frame, cracked in half. Could no longer wear them.

I'm planning on getting some Oakley M-Frames..

Priceless ;)

I shot my Foakley M-Frames from point blank... They held up, surprisingly enough. I wouldn't ever wear them in combat, though...

For whom it may concern I have a review of my ESS goggles:

ESS Striker Land Ops Goggles

I bought these goggles because my Oakley’s weren’t cutting it. They just didn’t give me the protection I deserved. After a bit of shopping I found the ESS Land Ops goggles. They are the only US Military approved ballistic goggles for over prescription eyewear use. So I figured why not give them a try. So I gave Lightfighter a ring and sure enough they had them in stock and ready to ship to me.

When I opened the box I found a plain bag with my goggles, extra tinted lens, manual, and stealth sleeve. I noticed that the frame of the goggles was actually olive drab not black, a welcome surprise. Picking up the goggles and looking at them more closely I saw that they had the infamous dust filters that were supposed to cause fogging. I wasn’t going to take them out just yet. I opened the manual I saw how easy the lens change is. For you who want to see I made a little video clip for you http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...828307687&q=ESS

The goggles are made of a very high quality plastic that is flexible and yet strong. The lenses are a 3mm thick piece of polycarbonate that is rated to stop shotgun blasts and .22 bullets from 35 feet, plenty of protection.

The first thing I want to cover is the fogging. These goggles come with thermal lenses ergo they don’t fog, even with the filters in. That’s right; I played a full game in 100F weather and not a bit of fog. These goggles are very comfortable on you. Once I got them adjusted to fit my head and Protec helmet I really didn’t know that they were there. All of my friends and team mates who were wearing full face masks wanted to get rid of their masks after trying them. Also they fit wonderfully over glasses. You have plenty of clearance, no chance of your glasses touching them, but then again you could always buy prescription holders for these, in my opinion they are a waste of money because regular glasses fit fine under these.

All in all these are great goggles at a bargain price. They can’t be beat. I absolutely love them and would never consider going to another goggle style.

• 4 weeks later...
Can you get prescription inserts for Wiley X's?

For the CQC goggles, I'm fairly positive that there are RX inserts. For others, I'm not so sure; it seems that they're too small to accomodate such an insert. Hope this helps. :D

I ordered my ESS Profile Turbocams last Friday, and will be sure to report back with results and perhaps add an updated review to the database, clarifying that Arnie's version could've been an early (and therefore flawed) model.

Archived