Epic: TM Plastic M14 stock to Fiberglass

UrPeaceKeeper

As many M14 fans know I'm in the process (or was in the process) of fitting a TM M14 into a real M14's fiberglass Stock. Here is the step by step photo history of what I did to accomplish the daunting task. (Maybe this could make its way into the projects section on Arnies :))

Part 1: Aquiring the Stock and Invisioning the Future Look

Aquiring the stock was fairly easy. One of my friends' dad owns real M14's and has fiberglass stocks laying around, for 25 Bucks i purchased a Woodland cammo painted stock. This is the easiest part of the entire project!

Invisioning the project took little more then two pictures, msn paint and some editing time. Here are my invisioned photos! (sorry for large or crappy quality pictures as I have an old digital camera!)

Original

part1.jpg

Post Conversion

part2.jpg

Part 2: Plan of Attack

No project should ever be done without a plan of attack... This lays out what needs to be done in order to accomplish the task! My Plan of attack is very simple to spell out but dificult to do. Pictures done with MSN Paint, WOOT!

The Two stocks Together

part3.jpg

Stuff in Yellow is To be Removed

part4.jpg

Work Begins

Using a Dremel, Drill Bits, Files, and Chisels the following work has been accomplished within a days worth of working. No Photoshopping has been done on the following pictures.

106-0661_IMG.jpg

Bottom

106-0662_IMG.jpg

Work Nears Completion

To Date the M14 stock is nearly finished. During the dremeling phase I accidently breached the walls of the fiberglass stock creating 4 some odd holes in the side of the gun. You will see these in the pictures. I have a Fiberglass repair kit so I will have to fiberglass up the entire handgrip area and parts around the trigger assembly. Overall the entire gun will need a new Krylon coating of paint. To my astonishment M14 stocks are filled with a styrofoam under a thin layer of fiberglass (all except the outermost layer) I have also determined that the wall around the hand grip is too small to dremel out for the motor so be carefull and if you attempt this you may have to get a fiberglass repair kit and patch some holes! Fiberglass is tough so i'm sure it wont break especially if you put a layer of very small wire mesh over the hole area and around the hand grip and patch it with fiberglass repair kit stuff. Pics To Date:

106-0663_IMG.jpg

106-0665_IMG.jpg

The Battery Compartment

106-0666_IMG.jpg

More Pictures soon, just thought I'd lay down the update and a Warning to all trying to do this conversion! :)

In the pictures above, I have not had a chance to clean off the internals or the outer apparel so the white powder is actually fiberglass dust! By the finished product the entire gun will be back to its black/woodland cammo scheme for all to enjoy and drool at!

Looks good, but will the motor/gearbox have enough

room so it doesn't overheat? The tm stock does have a l

ittle more room though and you are going to dremel out some.

Just something to consider, but I don't know a whole lot about tm m14's

Good luck  :)

The thing I noticed is that it all fits in there quite well since the holes are

already punched into the side, its just a matter of getting some fiberglass repair

stuff to patch over them and around the stock to firm it up a bit.

As far as the stock is concerned its done, thats the finished product minus

the new paintjob and the fiberglass repair stuff.

Damn PeaceKeeper that is a NICE job! You had better send me a pic of it when its done, I just may have to go out and buy a real M14 wood stock and do the same thing!

EDIT: I didnt notice that the top picture was the finished project I thought it was one you found on google or somthing, anyways great job!

Damn PeaceKeeper that is a NICE job! You had better send me a pic of it when its done, I just may have to go out and buy a real M14 wood stock and do the same thing!

Hate to break it to you but this WILL NOT work on a real Wood Stock, the walls on the wood grip will shatter if you dremel them out this much. Under any use the real wood will crack and break in half. I have just ran into a major problem, My hop up tuning nob just broke off leaving half of itself in the hop assembly, I managed to recover all the parts (i think, and hope) Now i'm on a quest for either a.) a new hop up dial, or b.) an entirely new hop up... the later of the two is impossible as no replacement parts have been made yet (GOD DANGIT this blows) I'm not so sure I can find a replacement dial screw either... This ###### me off as this is my pride and joy and unfortunately, I might start crying. (I have my Gas Pistol as a back up but its just not the same :(... I'm hoping TM Will release replacement hop ups soon because i'm ######....)

Wood stock: >< damn I really wanted my M14 to have the real wood goodness *Cries*

Hop Up: that sucks man, how did you break the knob? I havnt even touched mine after I set it. Was it when you put the internals into the stock?

I think your better off putting the M14 back together, selling it and buying a new one as I dont think the replacment parts for the M14 will be out within the year. Then when you get your new one you can be like me and baby it so much you regularly go over it with a dust cloth

Wood stock: >< damn I really wanted my M14 to have the real wood goodness *Cries*

Hop Up: that sucks man, how did you break the knob? I havnt even touched mine after I set it. Was it when you put the internals into the stock?

I think your better off putting the M14 back together, selling it and buying a new one as I dont think the replacment parts for the M14 will be out within the year. Then when you get your new one you can be like me and baby it so much you regularly go over it with a dust cloth

Not an option man, and yes it was when i was putting it back together.

Dusk, your a life saver man, I looked forever and didnt notice anything in particular that looked like it was for the hop up unit! +1 when i get a chance to. New metal thing for TM m14, en route!

Dusk you beat me! I just found that part too!

PeaceKeeper I was joking, I know you would rather cut your own hands off before you sell your M14

Dang straight man dang straight! Waiting for WGC to give me my final invoice so i can send my money off and fix my gun... took the time to clean all the fiberglass dust off and put a swab down the barrel so sometime in the future i'll get some of it put back together and take it out and see how badly my HOP is messed lol. I'm actually more worried about not putting the hop back together correctly then anything. I found the little nub thing that is under that nob and thank god too! just a matter of figuring out why it wont be loose again like it was before (it sticks for some strange reason) I'll find a guide on that later when the part arrives :)

Well, if CAW can make a wood stock for the TM M14, I don't see why one can't be modified with time consuming detailed work.

With wood, it has certain grains that run in one direction... If to much pressure is applied to them they will break the wood stock... CAW's wood stock for the TM M14 is one of a few special styles made by numerous gun manufacturers called a Big Red Birch, the handle is about 1/8'' to 1/4'' ('' = inches mind you) larger on both sides of the handle. It was made for people with large hands. Someone else on the forums was putting their tm m14 into a big red birch one but i'm not sure the status of it :(

I chose fiberglass because fiberglass is extremely strong even in thin layers. So as long as the walls stay an 1/8'' from the outside with the wall, the gun will remain extremely durable. Thats why i'm going over the handgaurd again with wire mesh and a fiberglass repair kit. I dont want my gun breaking in the field and i think that the hand gaurd is too thin in some spots (although it has 0 give to it, i cant compress the SOB for the life of me)

a wood stock will work. I'm almost done with mine, but you can buy pre madewood ones from wgcshop.

Well Just dont land on it funny, many ppl i've talked to said that theirs snapped when they landed on it... Now if your using it for a wall hanger thats a different story

Well Just dont land on it funny, many ppl i've talked to said that theirs snapped when they landed on it... Now if your using it for a wall hanger thats a different story

Which is a sad sad existence for such an effective rifle, me im gonna stick with my plastic stock and use it in battles, no damage so far I baby mine far more than my M15A4 which is in perfect condition because I havnt been able to take it out in a skirmish yet. Cant wait for spring then I have M14 and M16 goodness for my loadout

Which is a sad sad existence for such an effective rifle, me im gonna stick with my plastic stock and use it in battles, no damage so far I baby mine far more than my M15A4 which is in perfect condition because I havnt been able to take it out in a skirmish yet. Cant wait for spring then I have M14 and M16 goodness for my loadout

I dunno, maybe I should revoke your M14 Brotherhood membership :) jk More pics coming soon, i just got my gun all cleaned up and it is one SEXY rifle... still has the damn holes in the stock though :( Bondo/Fiberglass repair kit is going to be my friend as my dad and I are going to bondo the entire handgrip area and the trigger gaurd area as well... Still lots of work not to mention other minor tasks such as the Hop Up stuff...

Real one I bought for 25 bucks at local gunshop.  I would never pay that ridiculous price for the CAW one.

Just out of curiosity have you tripped and fell with it yet? have you actually been rough with it? I'm curious because fiberglass is supposed to be tuffer then wood but i'm not 100% sure yet :)

What do you want a video of me cracking heads with it. Like I said the thing is tough. I am not sure of wood but its a very sturdy kind.

I have tripped with it and knocked on a good many trees. (m14 being so long and all)

If the stock felt flimsy I would not be using it cause last thing I would want is the gun falling apart on the field.

What do you want a video of me cracking heads with it.  Like I said the thing is tough.  I am not sure of wood but its a very sturdy kind.

I have tripped with it and knocked on a good many trees.  (m14 being so long and all)

If the stock felt flimsy I would not be using it cause last thing I would want is the gun falling apart on the field.

weird... i'm hoping to finish my stock and go skirmish with it... The gun still works so everythign is good to go just need to get my hop put back together and holes patched and some special spacers made to fill in gaps in the stock and BOOM i'm cocked locked and ready to rock!

Archived