Tokyo Marui M14 Review

Tokyo Marui M14 Review

By Hustie

PICT0070.jpg

Introduction

This will be my first review here, so expect some mistakes... Anyway, I got this rifle for birthday. It was ordered from Redwolf at the price of $480. This included a extra low cap, a King Arms scope mount, and shipping. For those interested shipping cost about $85. I send my thanks out to Redwolf, as they got it on my doorstep in two days. Now on to the review.

First impressions

Tearing through the brown wrapping surrounding the large box was pretty exciting, but as I opened the elegantly decorated box I was greeted a large, manly, breathtaking rifle. One of my friends was there with me and we both stared at it for a couple seconds.

PICT0031.jpg

Finally, I picked it up. It is a pretty hefty gun, and thats the first thing I noticed about it. Also it's sturdy for the most part. Just about the only loose parts is the upper hand guard and the rotating bolt. After holding it, shouldering it and letting my friend handle it I fiddled around with charging handle. I pulled back the charging handle and let it slam forward, it is the BEST sounding action on ANY AEG I've ever heard. Hell, it sounds better than some full metal GBB's I've heard. My first impressions of this gun were very positive.

Firing it

The smart fellow I am I already had a battery charged for it, unfortunaly, it's a pretty crappy battery, but it works. My friend was able to shoot it before me because I wasn't paying attention, kind of breaks tradition, but whatever. It shoots absolutely perfect, as demostrated at a game I had today it outranges all stock AEG's and as has performance nearly as good as a (velocity way above forum rules) AUG. Which is pretty damm good. I think this excellent performance is almost mainly due to it top notch hop-up. Oh, speaking of hop-up, the adjustment knob is located in the strange position, in the magwell.

PICT0071.jpg

Even with the strange position, it's very easy to adjust (take my word for it, I have fat fingers), and clicks into place with each movement. It also stays in place very well, even with four hours of gaming today, it didn't budge in the slightest. I was impressed with its accurary, and was able to get some kills, even with only two locaps.

External Build Quality

*Note, in this section I will be posting pictures that may not relate to the text near it*

As I've mentioned earlier this gun is very solid with a few exceptions. This gun does qualify as 'Full Metal' in my opinion. Every metal external part on the RS is metal on the replica.

PICT0072.jpg

Off the top of head I will list the metal parts, I might have missed a few.

-Receiver

-Charging handle

-Bolt

-Trigger and trigger gaurd

-Entire outer barrel

-Both sling mounts

-Front sight assembly (Includes Flash hider)

-Rear sight assembly

Cheek rest thingy

-Butt plate

I think thats it but there might be more.

PICT0073.jpg

Notice shiny upperhand guard, either I'm going to paint it or replace it with a real one. I'll make sure to tell you guys how the goes.

The stock looks very nice, a dark olive drab color. One thing that I noticed about it today skirmishing was that the matte paint is being scratched up and revealing a shiny plastic. Of course you need to keep in mind I was pretty rough with it today, with a kinds of crawling, going through tight spacing, ect.

PICT0074.jpg

One thing I'm worried about is that when the charging handle slams home, it rams into this relatively small piece of pot metal. But for the moment I'm not worried, after all I'm probaly just being paranoid.

Skirmishing

Despite being pretty heavy and long this rifle is an absolute blast to have in combat. I can't really desribe it, but there is just something special to it. Maybe Tokyo Marui included magical fairies with? :D

The sights are pretty nice, in fact, I like them so much I think I might sell my King Arms scope mount. They are very good for fast aquisition of a target, but then again the m14 not for that fast paced assault and CQB role (In my opinion, some others might disagree).

PICT0076.jpg

This gun is more suited for long range combat, in fact all my kills today were beyond about 100 feet.

Conclusion

I positively LOVE this rifle, in fact I think I will marry it and move to a secluded mountain home, :-) JK. But seriously, it really is wonderful, it just suits me so much, just remember size DOES matter :D .

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0078.jpg

Here are the videos. I don't know the bandwith on these videos, so I might get it hosted by another site.

pict0079.mov

pict0080.mov

Take note that the sound doesn't do any justice to what it really sounds like, when hearing in person, it's more of a crack, rather than the high pitched grinding in the video. Also the charging handle sounds ALOT better.

I might be able to compare my M14 to a G&G soon, a person that I might play with in future has one. Of course I already know mine will kick the G&G one's a** ;)

PS Can I join the M14 brotherhood? Please!

Edited by Hustie

Very nice review and nice pics. Glad to see another M14 around here. Even if it is OD, but then again I love my wood version and am fairly bias towards it.

PS: About the M14 Brotherhood the only rules we have for entry is have an M14 (any kind so far TM and G&G) and put "Love Live the M14 Brotherhood!" in your sig then your in. So far I'm giving out door prizes of a +1 for joining, but you must have proof you have an M14 and send me a PM with said proof (dont want to give out an +1 for nothing) so heres yours.

Edited by Sarge133

Thank you, notice the new sig :D. Pretty much the reason I didn't get the wood was that I didn't think it would (no pun intended) look good with my gear. Otherwise I would be all over the wood version like a...a...guy to M14. Looking at my post I have come to understand english is strange.

Edited by Hustie

yes, english is strange, but then again so are three headed fish...

I never cared what the wood would look like with my loadout, once I saw the TM M14 I got wood (no pun intended). But am I glad, my wood looks good in the woods with tiger stripe camo on (no pun intended here either). Ive even had a group of people staring at my wood when I first got it (no pun either...)

THREE WOOD PUNS IN ONE POST! my life is complete got my M14, made three wood M14 puns in one post, just waiting on my cookies then I can die a happy man...sorry, I ate alot of sugar today... its always been my goal to make three wood puns in one post...heres the real post

When I first the wood version of the M14 I didnt care what it would look like with my loadout I just had to have it. When I first got it I had my cousin and friend over and we stood in awe of this "man's rifle", after two minutes of staring (literally) we pretty much got on our knees and bowed saying "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!"...Ah...that was a very very good day...even better the next day because the three of us has a skirmish to go to and sence I bought the M14 I got to use it. All I've got to say is that was the best three hours with my wood ive ever had (sorry...I couldnt help that one...Im done now...I swear) despite only having the one low-cap and constantly having to use my speedloader (god made that thing really...ive even got someone out with it...but thats another story) When I got back I proceded to clean, dust, and inspect EVERY part of my M14...but being it was my first gun I took apart it took me a bit to get it back together. This is god's rifle I swear. The wood version is even better because you can make sad pathetic wood jokes as I have illustrated here today...

Theres my uber-tiny-small-non-comprehesive-not-worth-my-time-no-depth-but-still-made-a-pun-while-trying-desprately-to-make-an-uber-tiny-small-mini-review-of-the-TM-M14 *takes breath*

Edited by Sarge133
  • 5 months later...

Your best bet is to get some Krylon flat black and spray paint an OD stock, keep a can stashed away incase any of the black paint chips away or fades. I'm fairly sure TM is only releasing the Wood and OD versions. anything else is going to have to be after market parts or paint. Personally I'm looking at an aftermarket Wood stock if I get a new M14.