Guarder MOD II FSBE Review and IBA Review

USRanger709

Ive seen several topics on this forum wondering about the FSBE or the IBA, and which one to get. Heres my 2 cents:

I just recently got my Guarder MOD II Full Spectrum Battle Equipment, and I must say it is AWSOME.

First of all it is far better than my Interceptor Body Armor Replica (please buy it anyway). The MOD II vest is much more comfortable to wear, has more MOLLE webbing, and breaths easier. With my IBA replica, it didnt have much MOLLE webbing, difficult to move around it (espcially with the neck guard on). And was difficult to shoulder a rifle with, the stock would just slide off.

The Guarder FSBE:

DSC02986.4.JPG

The Interceptor Body Armor:

DSC02990.2.JPG

As you can see there is a lot more webbing than the IBA:

DSC02987.3.JPG

DSC02991.3.JPG

The back of the IBA only has enough MOLLE webbing to hold 2 canteen pouches, and nothing else. Whereas the FSBE is covered in webbing:

DSC02993.4.JPG

DSC02988.7.JPG

The FSBE was designed for Marines and Navy SEALs in mind: there is a quick release system that in the event the operator needs to dump the gear, he jsut pulles the handle which then pulles 4 wires that detacth the clips that are holding the vest together, then all the operator has to do is rip off the velcro. The lever is located on the bottom of the vest in the front

Ther is one clip on each shoulder:

DSC02997.1.JPG

And one clip on each side of the vest:

DSC02996.2.JPG

DSC02989.5.JPG

All in all, the Guarder MOD II FSBE is awsome, the only thing I didnt like is that it didnt come with foam pad inserts for the missing body armor, which i ended up stealing from my IBA. But Ill end up taking those out anyway. The vest is made out of cordura and has the best stitching on the MOLLE webbing of any of my previous vest, thus it is VERY DURABLE.

Yes you can insert plates into the Guarde FSBE.  I took the foam plates out of my IBA and put them into the FSBE.  I think it depends on who you buy from if whether or not they come with plates.  I got mine from RAP4 on Ebay.

Allright! Now I'm getting one for sure....but where did I put those plates....

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:

you can probably buy some foam at walmart or somethin. Email whoever you are buying from and ask if they include them. The vest is very sturdy, even without the plates though, and it has an extra layer inbetween the plate pocket and the operator. Im gonna take my plates out just so i know when im hit, cause othewise i can take a hundred round and probably not feel a thing lol.

I bought my IBA from a guy who was selling all of his stuff when he moved away. He bought his from Ebay. Most sites that carry the MOD II also carry IBA replicas. WGCShop.com, UNcompany.com, redwolfairsoft.com are several. Most places are overseas. You might find one on ebay.

By the way, I am selling my IBA.

• 3 weeks later...

Ummmm, am I missing something here?? You can attach pouches to the IBA, same as the FSBE.

The FSBE is cool, for sure, but the IBA has MOLLE attachment points and takes all the same pouches, at least on the front. Most people use a Camelback bladder, so the webbing attachments on the back really don't seem like a big deal. The webbing harness you have on is redundant and kind of misleads one to think you are stuck with a webbing set up if you have a IBA vest.

• 1 month later...

I was just too lazy to put my MOLLE pouches onthe IBA, and it didnt look as cool with nothing on it. The MOLLE webbing on the IBA is limited. You only have enough for 4 mag pouches, 2 on each side (so if you have a triple map pouch it wont fit) 2 grenade pouches, one on each side, that will fit over the mag pouches, and room for 2 canteen pouches on the back. Thats it. theres a 6 inch gap in the middle of the vest that is barren of molle webbing. The FSBE, however, is covered. i have enough room for 4 mag pouches, a gp pouch, compas pouch, small utility pouch, and a canteen pouch all in the front whereas the IBA can only hold 4 mag pouchs and not enough webbing for anything larger than a nade pouch.

DSC03089.dba.JPG

DSC03085.3d7.JPG

The important thing to remember is that these two pieces of equipment were/are designed to fulfil two very different needs and requirements.

As mentioned earlier, the FSBE was part of the gear list for Marine Fast Recon - and not particularly anyone else. As such, its design, looks and functionality are very different and was designed for a specific purpose by a specific branch of the US Armed Forces. It is mission specific.

The IBA was for the 'everyman' - anyone in the rear, to everyone in the front - [not including USMC-FR - they had their own requirements [which based on what they do specifically, is how they got the FSBE]]. From a guy guarding the toilet to a guy hunkered down in his cuppola in a Bradley IFV, IBA's were meant for everyone.

The IBA however, is not mission specific - its a general purpose body armour piece, rated as soft and able to carry hard armour.

That is why it looks the way it is, functions the way it does and has the amount of PALS on it that it does - its simply designed that way.

The FSBE is mission specific - so comparing it to the IBA is rather like comparing your average grunt on the front with a Special Forces guy kicking down doors and rescuing hostages in a block somewhere completely different.

ie. the comparison does not fit.

Apples and oranges - different gears for different ... er ... i'd say quee.. because it rhymes but i'd get an *albatross* kicking :)

*however..

If you are comparing them purely as airsoft-generic platforms, then yeah, youre doing fine, you just need to specify this because if you dont, its like comparing an TM MP5K with a TM G3-SG1: theyre both AEG's and one could say one is *beep* and the other isnt, based on their mechanics when in actual fact theyre aimed at different aspects [genres or categories] of the market.

But impression wise, or for accuracies sake, you should make this clear - the IBA and FSBE fulfiled very separate and different roles for very different groups of people.

If youre doing a Marine FR impression, late 90s/early 2000's then get a FSBE, not an IBA - it would be incorrect as an impression.

btw, FSBE got dumped for the CIRAS by FR anyway, so its technically outdated [impression wise].

All in all, i do not like the IBA all around, and most troops dont either. Im in the 20th SFG and personally, even if i was a grunt, i would prefer anyting other than the IBA. The IBA is there to make the US people happy. It is way to heavy, cumbersome, limits movement, thus limiting the overall performance of the soldier. And they keep adding more and more protective armor, inserts, and addons, to the IBA that limits a soldiers range of motion. Thats why the we, the SF troops, and rangers prefer the RAV and CIRAS. This of coarse is my opinion, but the IBA is not that popular, and i cant wait for the FCS program to be fully implemented and integrated, seeing as how they are reengineering the soldier and his gear.

BTW, Guarder just released a RAV replica (they call it Ranger body armor) and I plan on savin up for that and Ill also release another review.

Archived