How to rewire an AK Spetz for a stick battery

Jorgen

Alright, i've seen this question asked many times across many forums, but I have yet to find ANY answer to it. I'm going to be swapping my lower reciever for an ak47s metal lower reciever, and need to know how to rewire for a stick battery underneath the removable upper reciever. I've taken apart my gun and tried to figure it out several times but it eludes me as to how it's done.

Can anybody provide clear and detailed instructions?

What Lord Jebus said, though I also had a 47S as a guide, and it isn't wonderfully clear from the pictures in the manual, and there's one or two things that aren't going to be apparent until you try it. Here's what I did to mine (It's a bit long):

You need to replace the short wire (the one that attaches to the connector to the cable in the stock, I think it's the black one, it attaches to the motor on the right hand side, see picture below (I've replaced the black wire a green and yellow one)) with a wire that will reach around the top of gearbox (following the red wire that is attached to the motor and selector plate).

picture showing the wire to be replaced (after I've replaced it):

10000255xu.jpg

I suggest a length of about 12-16" (34-40cm), as this will give you enough to reach round the gearbox.

The other wire that attaches to the connector will need to be shortened to about 6-8" (15-20cm), you can also put the fuse in to this wire as well (as shown in the diagram on page 9 of the AK47/AK47S manual you should have received with the rifle. The technical manual is on this web site here).

If you're planning on reusing the original connector that was attached to the gearbox, I advise care in removing it. Otherwise, you can remove it simply by cutting the wires.

Once you've soldered on the new wire, put the gearbox back in to the receiver, and fit the front section back on. Don't bother securing everything, as you'll have to take it to bits again.

Next, put the plastic gearbox cover on top (it's the thing the dust cover and hop up is attached to), and using a stick battery, determine the optimum length of wire required (about 1 cm of wire should showing, with the connector attached). As shown (blurrily) here:

10000289zw.jpg

Once you've got the correct length of wire, take everything apart and trim the wires to size, and attach the connector to the ends of the wires. If the wires are too long, you'll have trouble fitting the battery and receiver cover in place. Too short, and you wont be able to fit the battery at all.

An idea of what you should end up with:

There should be a red wire running from the motor, around the top of the gearbox, and connecting to the top of the selector plate.

as shown here ( the view from the selector plate is shown in the next picture):

10000248so.jpg

There should be a red wire running from the bottom of the selector plate, to the circular part of the connector. (see picture below)

The wire that you've added should run from the right hand (selector switch) side of the motor, parrallel to the original red wire to the front of the gearbox, where it should be attached to the square part of the connector.

as shown here:

10000276es.jpg

One other thing:

To get the folding stock to lock when folded, you'll need to file flat about 1.5-2cm of the fore grip, where it protrudes from the sides. This will leave a hole on either side of the grip, which you'll need to fill (I used Green Stuff, available from Games Workshop stores, most DIY shops will have something similar). You may also have to file part of the butt of the stock so that it doesn't lock in place on the screw under the front sight.

Some pictures to clarify:

(stock unfolded)

10000308vs.jpg

(stock folded. The hinge mechnism for the butt is dead centre. The bit you'll need to file is immediately to the left)

10000310em.jpg

Hope this is helpful. If not, let me know and I'll try and clarify it.

Ray

edit: inability to tell left from right...

edit 2: inability to write certain words, such as "tell" (in edit, above)

I've performed the modification on two Spetznas now. Mine and Ingo_sleeps, so I have a fairly good idea of what to do. It's good to see other people have had the same idea.

As for rep points, you need to get to 50 posts (there's a count under your avatar, on the left). Once you've hit 50, a little "+" and "-" appear at the ends of the reputation bar, just click on the relevant one, add a comment in the box when prompted and click done.

Like I said, if you need anything clariying, give me a shout and I'll do what I can.

Ray

Edit: over use of punctuation.... I'm not doing very well with this writing malarky today

Archived