My STEN project

Hind

I'm planning to use a gearbox Ver.1 or a Academy L85 gearbox for my gun, but now I'm couldn't find ones.

As for the holes - some models such as Mk.5 has it, and there were a lot of Mk.2 model with a holes in frontset. In Mk.5 - 3 lines of a holes? 6 in a line, in Mk.2 - 2 lines 3 in a line.

The grrove for the cocking handle I've did myself with a home reamer machine Phiolent OR30, a metal-work reamer and some wood details. Soon I'll post the images of my machineshop on my balkony:)

Some photos. As you can see a reamer tool consisits of a home reamer, two wood blocks and a polished wood plate. Wood blocks with a screws conbined with a reamer with a space betwwen them as a inner diameter of a receiver tube. The polished wood plate (i've took a peace from abandobed table) uses for the fixing tube with a two screws. It prevent the tube from rotating during the machining. So you put the tube on the plate, fix it with a screws, with a drill make a hole for the reamer and place rhe reamer tool over the tube. With a ahnd you coul move the reamer tool througth the tube to produce the groove you need.

Sorry for bad English and not good photos - i've made them with a cameraphome.

post-8280-1136578729_thumb.jpg

post-8280-1136578807_thumb.jpg

post-8280-1136578954_thumb.jpg

Where are you planning on putting the motor, mechbox, and finally, the battery? Which model of Sten are you planning? Your only hope would be Mk. V with the wood furniture. Look up the Smokey's Sten kit, for some help about where everything went. This is one of those guns that really has almost nothing to it, hence, nowhere to put the aeg internals. Battery could be external, that's easy, but the motor is only possible with a big AK grip like the Smokey's. A TM UZI using standard mags may work, but they aren't the best performance-wise.

A gas version would be "easier" since the need for a motor is gone. I suggest a cheap M11, mags are similar, parts are easilly obtainable, barrel length is similar.

Good luck and keep us posted.

EDIT: I really need to start one of my own.

I'd want to do an Mk.2 with a wood ar a frame stock - and becouse of that i'm searcheng for a Ver.1 gearbox. I increased the width of a trigger housing so that it now could store a motor and a gearbox. See my Gallery.

I've seen Smokeys STEN review and S&S Sten Mk.5, but it isnt't interesting me to do a gun that is in sales.

I'm planning to use a gearbox Ver.1 or a Academy L85 gearbox for my gun, but now I'm couldn't find ones.

As for the holes - some models such as Mk.5 has it, and there were a lot of Mk.2 model with a holes in frontset. In Mk.5 - 3 lines of a holes? 6 in a line, in Mk.2 - 2 lines 3 in a line.

The grrove for the cocking handle I've did myself with a home reamer machine Phiolent OR30, a metal-work reamer and some wood details. Soon I'll post the images of my machineshop on my balkony:)

Yeh the some models had a large diammeter outer barrel with large holes for cooling and the inner barrel sitting in the centre of it. Are you going to put some kind of circuit breaker to simulate the sten overheating i read about it on one of the support weapon reviews

The sten version 1 did indeed require a pistol grip however the version 2 which looked the same apart from the wood furniture on the underside of the reciever (for want of a better description) did not. There was however an alternative version 2 made which had the wooden pistol grip your talking about so either ones good. Have a lookClickitylinky also see mark 2 and 3 for cooling holes in the barrel.

P.S Your english is very good :) , better than our Ukrainian ;)

The sten version 1 did indeed require a pistol grip however the version 2 which looked the same apart from the wood furniture on the underside of the reciever (for want of a better description) did not. There was however an alternative version 2 made which had the wooden pistol grip your talking about so either ones good. Have a lookClickitylinky also see mark 2 and 3 for cooling holes in the barrel.

P.S Your english is very good :) , better than our Ukrainian  ;)

There were 5 models of a STEN SMG.

Mk.1 - Wood furniture on a receiser, ajustable handgrip (honestly it was the only wood cylinder), metal frame stock with a wood furniture, and a funny muzzleend.

Mk.2 - the most common of all STEN's serie and one of the most known WW II SMG in the world. Cheaper war model without the furniture, more simpli aiming point. There were a lot of mods of it< but the most common were with the frame steel stock and a T-style steel stock. However were a models of a Mk.2 with a wood rifle stock and even with a frame pistol grip! Don't forget that during WW II STEN's have been producing in every metal machineshop in the Europe.

Mk.3 - more cheapet that even Mk.2, uses a STERLIN SMG conception - magazine housing fixed on a receiver and couldn't be removed, all-steel tube receiver without removeng parts. With hi, were armed Paras in the end of a war (according to some autors)

Mk.4 - experimental, not in production

Mk.5 - the last. Wood stock and a pistol grip, grip on the frontset, improved aiming pints, better gunsmith. British armed forces have used him until late 60s.

So you can see tha the pistol grip himself was only on Mk.5/

Guy's Help me get a FaMas gearbox!!!!!!:)

Thanks for a link Bro. It is the thing i'd want to show to the readers^)

stens of course!! I found a kit online that was seeling them minus the reciever cover (so they cant shoot) so i was thinking to take fams internals and make my own reciever cover and have a nice sten mk 2 or 3

anyway heres the link

http://www.aa-ok.com/othergun.htm

You are happy. I couldn't bye one and grt it in Ukrainem becouse our customs service thinks it is a real gun supplies/parts.

Archived