WA Colt 1911 - Threaded barrel?

Catman

Hmm well I searched the web for days, hurt my eyes on those funny japanese websites and typed endless search parameters into google and still I cannot find any type of threaded barrel for a WA Colt 1911.

I really want to get a silencer put on my Western Arms Colt 1911 SCW ver2. That type of gun is so popular it begs the question: why has no one made such an accessory?

Anyone know a solution? or can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Don't expect your gun to cycle well... if at all with a silencer on the barrel.

Why wouldn't it cycle fine? The slide would blowback, but unless I'm thinking wrong...the barrel won't move enough to prevent the gun from cycling.

I put a comp on my gun (WA Para) that fits the profile, so it works great. I looked into putting a threaded comp which would be about the same as using a threaded silencer, I believe.

Sorry if I'm all wet, but I really can't see why you'd have a problem with a silencer.

Hannibal

It's the glock style barrel set-up that gives problems cycling with silencers. It's called a "Browning lock system" or something like that, but a 1911 is completely different and really shouldn't cause any trouble, unless the silencer weighs three times are much as the gun :P

http://www.poweredgeusa.com/product.asp?Ca...yID=123&ID=2460

For a Para, but it ought to fit on all 1911s

Cheers.

Wow cheers - I'd dismissed Para parts because I didn't think they'd fit :(

Has anyone fitted one of these on their 1911? I'm willing to take a chance but I'd be happier knowing someone else has successfully accomplished this :)

That's fair enough, I've never seen a WA 1911 with a threaded barrel so there must be some technical reason - that or I need to look at more pictures of airsoft guns ;)

Also I tried looking around for that Part, hoping a UK dealer might have some in stock, but alas no joy - even tried some HK retailers to see if they stock it but no. Power Edge must make this stuff then...hence the P.E bit, lol

Nevermind I'll take the risk and order the part - I'll post here when I get the part :)

If I'm not mistaken, these are threaded for the old Magna series chambers (Para/SV/old single stackers) and as such won't fit a stock SCW type gun. You might want to double check the threadings; Guarder has produced metal barrels and chambers back to the Magna days, so when the SCW line came along, their new SCW chambers were threaded with the old Magna threads so they dind't have to make a new barrel lineup. Try a Guarder chamber if you find that the PE threaded barrel has the old Magna threads.

I have an old Sheriff steel barrel that threds onto both my SCW and Magna series chambers (stock WA)

The problem when putting silencers on the WA 1911 is if the silencer is heavy, like the standard knights type silencers that people put on their AEG's. The weight pulls the barrel down which causes the chamber to stick onto the slide. I first saw the problem about 4 years ago when a customer tried using an aftermarket silencer on his WA PK 6".

The problem is the same as what happens to the glock. The back of the barrle needs to drop in order for the gun to cycle properly, if a weight is placed far forward, there won't be enough force to bring the back down.

For a silencer, stick with the KM featherweight series or other ultralight setups.

It's the glock style barrel set-up that gives problems cycling with silencers. It's called a "Browning lock system" or something like that, but a 1911 is completely different and really shouldn't cause any trouble, unless the silencer weighs three times are much as the gun :P

The "Browning Lock System" of IIRC a more accurate name would be "Browing Swinging Link" is what all 1911's use, the Glocks use a modified version of this, whereby the barrel locks up into the ejection port instead of grooves in the slide and the swinging link is replaced with a cam.

TheFlash has basically told yo everything you need to know. Try to find a nice light silencer to minimise feeding problems.

SUCCESS!!! WOOT!! :D :D

Excuse the naff images, I took these with my phone as I'm currently without a digital camera.

wa_1911_threaded_barrel01.jpg

wa_1911_threaded_barrel02.jpg

I did get rather stung though; I ended up paying $55 for shipping on top of the threaded barrel ($45) and then UPS charged me £21 (~$36) to get it past customs!

However, I don't care..I'm rich...or was :P

cheers selfexiled, +1 for you :D

I found my old (dead) TM tracer unit, the threading on it was a bit worn and damage but I managed to fit it on the barrel.

wa_1911_threaded_barrel03.jpg

The gun cycles fine with the "silencer". Now to go shopping for a proper silencer :D

• 2 weeks later...

SVI's usually have a bull barrel, while regular 1911's have a thin barrel and barrel bushing. You can use a bull barrel in a gun with a barrel bushing, but you need another way of keeping the recoil spring bushing in the slide.

Like BigAl already said, 1911's actually were one of the first (if not The first) guns to use this locking method with a tilting barrel. Almost all modern handguns use this, except for Beretta who are trying to be unique at the cost of reliability and having more moving parts in their guns.

Even Glocks cycle just fine with a threaded barrel AND suppressor, as long as you chose something else than the notorious G&G outer barrel.

-Sale

Archived