Illinios to ban airsoft?

Syndrome

::::Ripped from the CAA Boards::::

Hey folks, found this and it is rather disturbing.

http://www.isra.org/

The bill HB4132 seeks to ban ANY REPLICA WEAPONS (including tanks and cannons in town squares and VFW's!!!).

A quote from ISRA:

"Never in my career have I seen such a slick attempt at instituting a state-wide gun ban," commented ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson. "Nearly every firearm model for sale in Illinois was either designed for military use, or is used by the military for one purpose or another. Therefore, under this bill, nearly every pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun owned by Illinois citizens would be banned."

"The laughable part is that the scope of this bill goes way beyond conventional firearms," continued Pearson. "Every VFW and American Legion Post would have to remove the tanks and howitzers from their property or face prosecution. The cannon adorning town squares across the state would have to be rounded up and destroyed. The dummy grenade paperweight on your desk would have to go as well. Oh boy, and won't all the honor guards look pretty snappy shouldering broomsticks in the July Fourth parades next year?"

"HB4132 is so sweeping that it would go as far as to ban cap guns and water pistols," said Pearson. "Given that this is an election year, I can't wait to see how Rep. Chapa LaVia will spin her ban on squirt guns to her political advantage."

edit:  Link is not working-

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp...80&SessionID=50

Here is the text of the actual bill: 

Sec. 24-11. Replica military style weapons. 

8      (a) It is unlawful for any person to purchase, possess, 

9  use, sell, give away, or otherwise transfer, or to engage in 

10  the business of selling, or to exhibit for sale, any replica 

11  rocket propelled grenade launcher, bazooka, artillery piece, 

12  grenade, mine, bomb, or items similar to weapons designed and 

13  manufactured for military purposes or replicas of those items.

14      (B.) Sentence. A violation of this Section is a Class A 

15  misdemeanor

Rather vague, but it would become a crime in IL to own any "items similar to weapons designed and manufactured for military purposes or replicas of those items".  Not only would most real steel guns become illegal, but all of airsoft would be as well.  Please contact your representatives and let them know how you feel about this proposed law.

Note: The bill is unlikely to pass just because of the grand scale of items its going to ban, still if theres any arnie views out there in illinois that hasn't caught wind of this, make sure this bill gets the boot in the *albatross*.

Again this bill probably won't get passed, it's just a scary thought.

It's one thing to ban guns and replicas in the UK, but in the US, it's a whole different story. It'll be a lot harder. The NRA will fight to protect everything gun related. Not to mention the second amendment. And of course there are all those conservative republicans who like guns.

It could happen one day, but probably not in the near future.

It's one thing to ban guns and replicas in the UK, but in the US, it's a whole different story. It'll be a lot harder.

We thought the same thing untill certain degree of incidents acoured just like yours. (if you don't know what I am looking at look at the Florida school shoot out thread) Now obviously I'm not saying it's going to happen now or tomorrow but if this keeps up give it a couple of years and you'll end up like merry old england ;)

Also iirc the nra was built up by the goverment, so inturn the goverment can stip it from it's powers

It's one thing to ban guns and replicas in the UK, but in the US, it's a whole different story. It'll be a lot harder.

We thought the same thing untill certain degree of incidents acoured just like yours. (if you don't know what I am looking at look at the Florida school shoot out thread) Now obviously I'm not saying it's going to happen now or tomorrow but if this keeps up give it a couple of years and you'll end up like merry old england ;)

Also iirc the nra was built up by the goverment, so inturn the goverment can stip it from it's powers

Well hate to tell them this but for some reason the Supremecy Clause dictates that federal power shall dictate over state power... which means all guns are protected by the Second Amendment... Replicas (since they can be treated as a real firearm for criminal cases, and replica's other wise are still protected. Just remember calif. kiddies, Mary Jane may be legal while the Calif state police are around but when the FBI knocks at your door, your SCREWED... same concept for Airsoft except the reverse... Federal law says we can have em, state law says we cant, Federal wins out... Hopefully this law wont pass since its obvious bullocks, but The removal of all deact weapons form town squares has already happened in my town next to the American Legion building, which is a DAMN shame too (that 5 in. deck gun was fun to play around with)

As airsoft isn't classified as toys here, they are protected by the constitution, I believe. I can't exactly remember the last time that we have ratified the constitution, but I don't see it happening today.

Look we've had the Power to the people Cack as well and tbh it just doesn't work. Like I said though be warned you may find that if this kind of thing keeps cropping up ever other state It may go all federal.

Also Urpeace keeper I thought the federal age for alcohol was 21 yet some states it is 18 how so?

Look we've had the Power to the people Cack as well and tbh it just doesn't work. Like I said though be warned you may find that if this kind of thing keeps cropping up ever other state It may go all federal.

Also Urpeace keeper I thought the federal age for alcohol was 21 yet some states it is 18 how so?

Last I knew it was 21 everywhere, The same concept applies in California with Mary Jane, as any state with the 18 drinking law, if a federal agent catches you doing it, your screwed, any other local police agency, its a ok... It depends on how far you want to take it but the power of the state does not SUPERCEED the Constitution or the federal government.

Hey, The VCR bill may not pass... you could get lucky.

I agree with UrPeaceKeeper. This bill in Illinois could be ruled unconstitutional.

This is not going to get anywhere unless your entire state legislature is full of complete morons.

Look at the vagueness of the text:

"any replica rocket propelled grenade launcher, bazooka, artillery piece, grenade, mine, bomb, or items similar to weapons designed and manufactured for military purposes or replicas of those items."

It lists only large explosive-type weapons by name, and then a generic statement about "items similar to" military weapons and replicas. So this could be interpreted as:

1) Not including rifles/pistols since the text isn't specific and seems to focus only on large explosives.

OR

2) Very broad, since "weapons for military purposes" could include anything with a trigger, in the eyes of some.

---

EIther way, it likely will not pass or will not affect airsoft if it does pass. Hopefully it just flat out will not pass.

Illinois has some pretty *suitcasey* gun laws (one of only 4 states left where conceal-carry rights are flat out denied) but even so, you'd have to think that most politicians aren't gonna be dumb enough to vote for something so broad it'd require vast resources just to clarify and enforce.

[edited for typos]

Archived