Bush again.

Hissing_Sid

I see that Bush, in his State of the Union speech, has noted that the USA is "addicted to oil" and has made additional funding available to find alternative energy sources in order to make the USA self sufficient and not reliant on "unstable" countries for oil.

And, in the same speech, he demands that Iran stop building their nuclear power plants for fear that the plutonium or Uranium can be used to make nukular weapons.

Double standard or what?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difference:

a. We already have them. And so does Britain, France, Russia, China, Germany, and everyone else on the UN Security Council.

b. The US is not govern'd by a religious sect that supports terrorism and has publicly called for the complete annihilation of another nationstate.

c. Our nuclear arsenal has be going down, not up, since the 1960s.

"Double standard" for the whole world then, not just George Bush.

Basic difference is the "haves" have demonstrated they can "have" and not unleash them. The "have-nots" have ...not. I myself (and apparently the rest of the nuclear countries in the world agree as well- thats all of yours on this forum too btw) would rather not take the chance of such an entity gaining possession of such a weapon based on the technicality of not wanting to be seen to be professing a double standard.

I have a gun, you don't have a gun. You're a raving lunatic. I'm not. You want a gun too, as "it'd only be fair". Guess what? Tough.

I think Hillslam is getting a bit confused.

Nobody's mentioned nuclear weapons except Dubya.

Dubya seems to be saying that he wants for the USA to develop different energy sources so that when the oil runs out, in a few decades, then the USA will be all set to not worry about it but, on the other hand, he's doing his best to vito Irans attempts to do the same thing.

b. The US is not govern'd by a religious sect that supports terrorism and has publicly called for the complete annihilation of another nationstate.

Erm... you sure? Sounds like Bush, Xianism and his stupid war on terror being an excuse to act like terrorists.

For what act could be more terrorising than using vastly superior weapons against a starving country?

Of course its double standards, but whether we like it or not, as Hillslam has said, we have proven oursleves - after many errors and failings we are prepared o admit to - to be doing the right thing even though we have these terrible weapons.

Iran continually promises to kill people over religion: I think they shouldn't be allowed any toys at all and should be sent to bed with no supper -

- after having their political arms severed and used to admonish their citizens who still think killing people over religion is acceptable. Then made to sit inside the naughty-sanctions-area and be deprived of any attention from the rest of the world.

Evilhippy = SuperPower Nanny :D

Of course its double standards, but whether we like it or not, as Hillslam has said, we have proven oursleves - after many errors and failings we are prepared o admit to - to be doing the right thing even though we have these terrible weapons.

Iran continually promises to kill people over religion: I think they shouldn't be allowed any toys at all and should be sent to bed with no supper -

- after having their political arms severed and used to admonish their citizens who still think killing people over religion is acceptable. Then made to sit inside the naughty-sanctions-area and be deprived of any attention from the rest of the world.

Evilhippy = SuperPower Nanny :D

I love the US. However, they REALLY need to take the rain forest out their eye before Iran takes the splinter out of theirs.

After many failings and errors? I guess you could say the only country to be mad enough to use nukes could have been said to be in error? FFS. All *fruitcage* countries are just as bad as each other.

So are Iran actually saying that they want to build nuclear weapons or are they saying they want to build nuclear power stations?

And does the technology used in nuclear power stations automatically mean that you could process nuclear material for use in weapons?

Personally I don't always agree with the way that America goes about things, however the fact remains that I MYSELF would not want a country, that's leader recently called for the complete desctruction of Isriel, and claimed that the Holocaust was a "Myth" to have any Nuclear development...

Difference:

a. We already have them. And so does Britain, France, Russia, China, Germany, and everyone else on the UN Security Council.

c. Our nuclear arsenal has be going down, not up, since the 1960s.

"Double standard" for the whole world then, not just George Bush.

Basic difference is the "haves" have demonstrated they can "have" and not unleash them. The "have-nots" have ...not. I myself (and apparently the rest of the nuclear countries in the world agree as well-  thats all of yours on this forum too btw) would rather not take the chance of such an entity gaining possession of such a weapon based on the technicality of not wanting to be seen to be professing a double standard.

I have a gun, you don't have a gun. You're a raving lunatic. I'm not. You want a gun too, as "it'd only be fair". Guess what? Tough.

Wait, you're saying America is one of the "Haves"?

*COUGH*HIROSHIMAANDNAGASAKI*COUGH*

Personally I don't always agree with the way that America goes about things, however the fact remains that I MYSELF would not want a country, that's leader recently called for the complete desctruction of Isriel, and claimed that the Holocaust was a "Myth" to have any Nuclear development...

and what about Iran?

I think Hillslam is getting a bit confused.

Nobody's mentioned nuclear weapons except Dubya.

Dubya seems to be saying that he wants for the USA to develop different energy sources so that when the oil runs out, in a few decades, then the USA will be all set to not worry about it but, on the other hand, he's doing his best to vito Irans attempts to do the same thing.

He's not saying stop Iran from developing solar, geothermal, clean-coal, or crop-based ethanol resources.

He's saying it's unacceptable they get nuclear weapons. One cannot buy into Iran's claim to simple be research "alternative energy sources" without being a complete naive (or willing) dupe for two big reasons:

1. remember this happened? -> weapons specs, schematics, plans for production are going into Iran. They get intercepted. Caught red-handed so to speak. And Iran's defense is: "er well um, we didn't ASK for those...". Come on, my 4 yr old neice has a better lie than that when she gets caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Yeah, Iran is just researching nuclear technology as an alternative energy source only. And I've got some sea-front property in Utah I'd like to sell you...

2. if nobody else is buying their oil, they'd have plenty to last them in perpetuity.

I just hope it doesn't turn into another war, or an extension of the war there already. The US and UK wouldn't need to intervene if Iran started manking nukes, Israel would blow thme up before we could say "oi".

I think the fewer nukes in the world the better really, if Iran feels the need to get upset then, as others have said, tough biscuits.

He's not saying stop Iran from developing solar, geothermal, clean-coal, or crop-based ethanol resources.

He's saying it's unacceptable they get nuclear weapons. One cannot buy into Iran's claim to simple be research "alternative energy sources" without being a complete naive (or willing) dupe for two big reasons:

1. remember this happened? -> weapons specs, schematics, plans for production are going into Iran. They get intercepted. Caught red-handed so to speak. And Iran's defense is: "er well um, we didn't ASK for those...". Come on, my 4 yr old neice has a better lie than that when she gets caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Yeah, Iran is just researching nuclear technology as an alternative energy source only. And I've got some sea-front property in Utah I'd like to sell you...

2. if nobody else is buying their oil, they'd have plenty to last them in perpetuity.

Since The US is the ONLY country to have EVER used Nuclear weapons, I can't really see how they are in a position to say anything.

Sledge: Hi, welcome to Sledge's skirmish site. You'll notice that all the regular players have the latest AEGs upgraded to 1 joule. You, as a newb, may rent one of these CYMA LPEGs.

tommywing: But these suck. Can I buy my own upgraded AEG?

Sledge: No. Only those of us who already have upgraded AEGs are allowed to use them.

tommywing: But... won't that allow you to easily overwhelm anyone you don't like?

Sledge: That's the idea.

:zorro:

Wait, you're saying America is one of the "Haves"?

*COUGH*HIROSHIMAANDNAGASAKI*COUGH*

Oh I'm sorry - I forgot that we started world war two. Apparently I need to read my new revisionist history book, with the "demonstration of power" appendix leaflet flavor-of-the-week attached.

And I forgot about all the subsequent conflicts we got dragged into and consequently unleashed our entire arsenal at the time that could have blanketed the earth and wiped out all life on the surface of the planet as we know it. I forgot about all the times we did that. Killed us all, many times over. Russia too.

Please.

Sledge: Hi, welcome to Sledge's skirmish site. You'll notice that all the regular players have the latest AEGs upgraded to 1 joule. You, as a newb, may rent one of these CYMA LPEGs.

tommywing: But these suck. Can I buy my own upgraded AEG?

Sledge: No. Only those of us who already have upgraded AEGs are allowed to use them.

tommywing: But... won't that allow you to easily overwhelm anyone you don't like?

Sledge: That's the idea.

:zorro:

Sounds like a rite of passage to me.

I see your point but I think letting Iran get on with it on the grounds of fairness on paper could be potentially dangerous, not because Iran might use them, but if two nukes went missing and were in the hands of a real nutter, we'd all feel pretty silly.

Cue Ben Affleck in a vest.....

Oh I'm sorry - I forgot that we started world war two. Apparently I need to read my new revisionist history book, with the "demonstration of power" appendix leaflet flavor-of-the-week attached.

What? Whilst America was sitting back to leave Europe to its fate..Only when Pearl Harbour was attacked did you come waiding into the war.

You see, I look at it that they went into Iraq under a ###### banner of "Oh Noes teh Missiles!" and now it is "Oh noes teh nukes!".

Weapons of Mass destruction!?

And as for the atomic/nuke point Kiero, remember that it took the ENTIRE UK and European US airforces an entire day to bomb Dresden, dropping more bombs than almost the entire rest of the war... casualties? 250,000.

The US drop ONE bomb on Japan and kill 180,000 in four seconds.

You might say they have learned their lesson? I for one don't trust the US to do the right thing any more than I do the Iranians. The US is the ultimate rogue state, rampaging their way around the world with a religious fundamentalism at its lead.

Axis of Evil? I can spot evil when I see it thank you Mr Bush. And I am looking at it right now:

wanker_01.jpg

Archived