WTF

garry

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The annoying thing, is that many of the banners were a clear and blatant incitement to violence and killing. That's already meant to be illegal, so why were there no arrests? More pc gone mad I suspect, they didn't want to "upset" anyone.

I'M FRIGGIN UPSET!!!!

rawrawrarrwarwarwarwarrrrr!!!!!!!!

I want my money b... oh wait... :mellow:

sowwy aye dong spik belly guud engwish lol?

whoever done the cartoon should hang themselves with a dirty pair of underwear and the protestors should go and become teachers.

That'll keep them all busy I'm sure.

You find that generaly there are very few people at these kinds of protests, much like the regular burnings of the American flag.

We still have the right to free speach* and to protest peacfully, in a country with sharia (sp) law protesting like that would land you at the local football pitch.

*does not apply to internet forums (unless you own them) ;)

hmm, actually i was hearing about this when i was driving home from work...

:blink:

this is getting really ridiculous imho...

imagine the pope yelling: at arms!! whenever some islamic whatchamacallit insults cristianity..

:rolleyes: i mean, really...

:edit: not that it would bother me :) but i'm sure some cristian nutters would/could go gaga over it

You find that generaly there are very few people at these kinds of protests, much like the regular burnings of the American flag.

That may be so, but these extremists are doing no favours at all for the majority of muslims in this country are they? Free speech is all very well, but when it incites violence, you have to draw the line.

Think about it.

The police barge in heavy handed, arresting people in a "free" country, fists get thrown, along with bottles etc, next thing you know, all over the middle east Brits are being targetted, not good especially when we've got so many working in already dangerous situations in Iraq etc.

Wrongful arrests would have been made, people released without charge screaming for revenge for being "attacked" or treated like animals etc.

Not good at all.

Now, instead, police view the film footage, find out who the people involved are (like the SAAV guy who said he can't appoligise for offending people, yet wants an appology for the offence the cartoons caused....go figure) arrest them quietly, with a case which has been built, and charge them accordingly.

Which would you prefer? Actual arrests done civily, or a riot?

Think about it.

The police barge in heavy handed, arresting people in a "free" country, fists get thrown, along with bottles etc, next thing you know, all over the middle east Brits are being targetted, not good especially when we've got so many working in already dangerous situations in Iraq etc.

Wrongful arrests would have been made, people released without charge screaming for revenge for being "attacked" or treated like animals etc.

Not good at all.

Now, instead, police view the film footage, find out who the people involved are (like the SAAV guy who said he can't appoligise for offending people, yet wants an appology for the offence the cartoons caused....go figure) arrest them quietly, with a case which has been built, and charge them accordingly.

Which would you prefer? Actual arrests done civily, or a riot?

Actually, that's a pretty good point, but I still won't hold my breath for the outcome.

The problem is further complicated as it isn't just extremists who are offended by the cartoons it was pretty much the entire Muslim population. If the police were seen to be arresting those people protesting it would further inflame public opinion since you'd be removing the peoples rights to peaceful protest/free speech (however hypocritical that is considering the cause of the protest!). Good to see the more moderate Muslim organisations condeming the way people protested though.

Also nice to see the majority of British Media acting sensibly and not reprinting the pictures.

This stuff TOTALLY offends me... i feel hurt that people who i wager hold british pasports protest like this and make accusations and attack us over a cartoon in a foreign paper...

The SAAV guy offends me most, please blow yourself up, go to the middle of a field first tho... hasnt treason got a meaning anymore? britons saying they want to kill britons?

I don't think anyone's disputing the right to peaceful protest, but use that protest to advocate killing people is against the law, isn't it? Imagine if the BNP had been marching, with banners demanding the beheading of Muslims. I doubt we'd have seen such a restrained response.

:zorro:

I think inciting people to violence is illegal but you'll probably find there are some specific circumstances (i.e. inciting a specific act against a specific target) and just carrying signs and chanting slogans doesn't quite fit.

I would imagine the entire response is dependant on the situation.

I think sledge is right, if it had been the bmp, the police would have arrested all on the spot, its one set of rules for us, and another for them, as it were, the police dont want to offend the poor muslims, well i say if your in our country, abide by our laws, and dont expect special treatment, you wont get it... we live the same, we bleed the same, we are all humans, and no one being deserves to have greater legal leniency because of what they beluive...

Archived