G&P Collapsable Buttstock for G36

Prometheus

Hey,

Thinking about getting a longer stock for my G36. I would get the long one from G&P, but this one allows me to hold a larger battery in it easily without a PEQ box or battery bag.

Picture:

gp469-l.jpg

I'd really like to get this, but I was wondering on how good the quality is on it and if you can fit other batteries in there. Supposedely only the G&P custom batt will.

Please help me decide....

:(

~P

From what I've read and seen through the glass at the shop it appears to be of good quality. The color and texture is good but isn't quite a perfect match to the realsteel. It should look good with a CA body but will not match the smoother blacker TM body that well (but then few after-market G36 parts do). I can't comment on how it would look on a Star as I've only seen one of them once and I also can't comment on that new after-market body either. It can use a regular large type battery but at the expense of the ability to fold the stock. Furthermore I believe that the larger the battery in there the less it can collapse. IIRC the length range is from somewhat shorter than 'C length to somewhat longer than a normal full size G36 stock (don't go quoting me on that bit).

I say if you like the look of it go for it. Personally, its grown on me (I hated it at first). I've actually been considering getting one of these just to spice up my G36K a bit, it's too perfect right now and I want something new to play with. :P I like the adjustable length aspect partly as a result of using my Vltor stock on my M4 a lot lately. Plus the ability to have the battery in the back is appealing from a balance standpoint.

Oh, don't forget you could easily have cheapbatterypacks.com build you a pack in the right config to use with it. You could use better cells that way and probably get a better price too.

There was a thread in general that reviewed the CA36K and this stock, it had info on how to rewire the gearbox to the back too. Edit: Ah, here it is: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=45095

I've got one... I love it. I felt the stock stock was a little bit too short. This one is perfect on the first extended position (be aware with a large battery it cannot be fully retracted, only to the first hole which is ~ 1.5cm longer than the stock stock. There are 2 further extended positions and the end will then slide off entirely allowing battery access).

Agreed the colour doesn't quite match, imo it doesn't look quite as cool as the other stock. But it's sturdy and more comfortable for me and the extra flexibility combined with the ability to accept large batteries leaving the front end empty for things like ohhh grenade launchers, makes it very worthwhile (necessary lol).

I got a custom made 8.4v 3300mah battery made for it from 01, works like a charm.

i have one of these on its way to me, with a CA36K.

i need a new battery, but was hoping just to get a standard 8.4v large to fit in my other guns aswell.

however, this thread as raised some questions - anybody in the know (i.e you have the stock) info from you would be greatly appreciated.

1. exactly what battery do i need to get the FULL range of movement from the stock ?

2. i read that the CA36 series only runs well on 9.6v + - is this true?

3. monkeyd - the custom battery you got, does it allow FULL movement of the stock ?

bascially, i want full movement from teh stock, preferably 9.6v, and cheap as possible, ESEPCAILLY if its a battery i can only use on 1 of my 7 AEG's.

edit - i gto a PM from a guy who does actually have the stock, but this thread has brought up some conflicting info, most notably StaticZero - "you cant fold the stock with a normal shaped large battery". this is what he told me will fit.

battery 1

battery 2

battery 3

battery 4

battery 5

I've got one, and I think I can answer a few questions.

Size:

It has four positions. Shorter than C, C length, K/normal length, and gorrilla long. I like mine at the K setting

Folding: CANNOT fold with any battery other than the G&P batteries.

Battery fit: Any large pack fits, but if you don't use the G&P cut out battery shape, the stock won't lock when folded.

Using the 8.4v G&P battery means the stock cannot be shortened past C length. A normal 8.4b large bat allows the full range of pull adjustment, but doesn't allow it to fold.

Its a nice part, I'd like one on just about any G36 configuration, unless I was aiming for a super accurate replica.

so it HAS to be the cut-out design to let it fold properly?

well thats my inital plan *fruitcage*ed then.

what about NEEDDING a 9.6v battery for the CA G36 series? folklore or reccomended ?

so 100% full movement isn't even possible then, according to what you say? bit of a design *fruitcage* up there then.

im not concerned about having it shorter than C length, its folding i want. so im limited to getting the KV specific G&P battery, weither 8.4 or 9.6.

somethign else i just thought of - you say with an 8.4v standard you can't shorten to last notch. does this mean with the 9.6 KV battery, you cant go to the last 2 notches?

yeah but the point if this stock is to hold a large battery, not keep the gun on minis.

another question - what exactly stops the stock from folding when using a standard 8.4v battery ? is it that the wires arent long enough to reach round the body, cos you can always put longer wire on the battery. or is it something else?

as for what voltage - i had read the gearbox doesn't always full cycle on 8.4v, especially in semi. any info ?

yeah but the point if this stock is to hold a large battery, not keep the gun on minis.

another question - what exactly stops the stock from folding when using a standard 8.4v battery ? is it that the wires arent long enough to reach round the body, cos you can always put longer wire on the battery. or is it something else?

as for what voltage - i had read the gearbox doesn't always full cycle on 8.4v, especially in semi. any info ?

You can fold the stock with a custom battery (non G&P) but it has to be made so there is a gap in the right place (so the catch locks inside the stock).

AFAIK G&P do a whole range of custom batteries for it with different voltages (large)

This image illustrates why you can't fold the stock with a normal large battery configuration. Does that clear things up for you?

It sounds to me like this is the choice when using sub C cell battery configurations:

1. Using a standard 'Large Type' 8.4v pack the stock can be fully extended or collapsed but it can not be folded.

2. Using a custom configuration 8.4v pack prevents using the shortest setting but does allow the stock to fold.

3. A 9.6v standard 'Large Type' configuration, being the same length as the custom 8.4v config but with no notch because of the extra cell, prevents folding or using the shortest setting.

This next one I'm not so clear on, but...

4. A 9.6v custom configuration allows folding but prevents using the shortest two positions.

And so on. Can someone with first-hand experience confirm this information please?

You can run a stock CA36 on an 8.4v. The reason its a good idea to run 9.6v when using mini batteries is because all but Sanyo NiCads and Intellect NiMhs have very low discharge rates (only around 10-15A sustained and they aren't great at peaking higher either). However if you're using a reasonable quality large type config this wont be a problem, sub C cells have significantly lower internal resistance and therefor much higher discharge rates.

For the sake of discussion, here are my requirements for the stock:

1. Must be able to be made shorter than the normal 'C length stock.

2. Must be able to fold completely (catch must not be impeded).

3. Must be able to take a 9.6v battery in any configuration and the battery must be built with 4/5A cells at the minimum. Full A or Sub C preferred. Bonus points for taking a common configuration or at least a config that can be used in a minimum one of my other guns.

4. Should not have to pay attention to the wiring when folding/extending/retracting.

Can anyone give me accurate dimensions of the battery space (only the space available when fully collapsed, please) and the dimensions of the hole in the side?

ahh static that pic is superb.

so for the folding aspect a battery with the notch in the shape is 100% required.

i think im going to go for the KV specific 8.4v battery then. folding, and at worst only the very shortest position is unavailable, which is not something im bothered about.

i wonder if the notched battery will fit in my other guns that require a large battery?

time for a cardboard model methinks.

Static - if nobody gets you the dimensions before moday, i'll try measure mine up for you. but i dont get it till monday, so thats the earliest i can do it.

*goes to bed until moday afternoon*

The battery compartment is, very roughly:

170x25x45mm. The stock is 45mm tall at the upper corners, the top side is curved, meaning there is room for wire above the battery. The distance from the back(gunside when stock is folded) of the battery compartment to the notch is roughly 100mm.

All numbers are very rough.

I think the G&P shaped 9.6v battery limits the stock to the outermost two positions. Ther is space, however, at the back of the stock, that a clever builder may be able to get another cell in, keeping a 9.6v large bat, full folding capability, and 3 stock positions. This would require dremeling the inside of the stock, and may just not work at all. I don't know, I don't use 9.6v batteries so I'm happy with my 8.4v

Wow, this thread is turning into a wealth of information on this particular stock. Wasn't expecting that. ITs great!

I definetaly am going to get it now then. I don't want to fold mine at all since I have a G36 and all. Folding the stock is a bit unneccesary I think due to the gun is still really long.

So, to recap...

1) Quality is good, color match may be a bit off (but paint can fix that :D)

2) You can fit any large type battery in it, as long as you don't need to fold the stock

3) If folding the stock is neccessary for you, then you have to get the G&P battery with the sixth cell on the end instead of in the middle.

One question, which I do'nt think was answered (only scaned the above posts)

Question:

How hard is it to rewire the gearbox for it? Some new style of battery hook up. How does that affect the charging of the battery and what are the steps to rewiring it?

~P

The rewiring is easy, actually. The stock includes all the needed parts.

Tools you need include:

Soldering iron

Wire cutter/stripper

Molex tool (not strictly neded but it helps.

There are many different ways to wire everything together. I did mine in such a way that I can easy go back to stock C configuration with no soldering. I attached the included tamaya connector to the long wires included with the stock, and connected this directly to the gearbox. This means not using the fuse and its wire assembly, which is fine by me, but YMMV. I the long wire up over the top of the box, and out the back into the stock. No tricks here, it is just a tight fit. The battery and new long wire both use deans connectors, which are great, but you'll have to get used to them. Included is an extra male connector, I used some spare wires and connectors to make a string of adaptors, so that any battery I have can be used in any gun, as well as any charger. I can get a picture if you want.

That is just my solution. There are lots of other ways to go about doing it, some are even better than mine, offering lower resistance etc. I like my setup because of the afformentioned versatility, I can go crazy with battery, gun and charger combos.

So if I was to use the regular battery connecter kind, the clasp one with the circular and square male and female parts, would I have to do anything at all?

I know that the tamaya is a safty feature, but I'm not going to ever fold my stock, so it doens't really matter.All I'd have to buy would be an extension wire, right?

More opinions would be helpful.

~P

The long wire included with the stock has a deans connector pre attached, as does the G&P battery. You could grab some connectors and a couple lengths of wire and use a normal battery, or you could make an adapter like I did.

The tamaya connector isn't really a safety feature, its just an option. Folding the stock has nothing to do with it, really.

If you're not folding the stock though, go ahead and use normal large batteries and regualr connectors. It works fine, you'll just need to supply parts.

ok i got my stock yesterday.

the finish is flawless. looks very nice compared to the CA body. the tock is very robust, and feels high quality. really nice.

came with all teh wires and stuff, though i havent hooked mine up yet. its easy enough to swap the stocks off aswell.

the stock can only be folded into its locked place when teh stock is in teh second position along (2nd shortest). any other lengths and you will blocjk the hole that the peg on the reciver goes in.

i am yet to try any battereis in it.

the longest position is so long i can't realyl see it being usefull for anybody other than chewbacca, but at least it is still nice and sturdy in the longest position.

overall i am very impressed. looks realyl nice, much better than i anticipated. its worth getting even if you dont put a battery in it.

Archived