KSC Glock 23f slide lock spring...

Kinch

Hey everyone,

I recently got some HurricanE upgrade parts for my KSC Glock 23f. I managed to fit the obvious parts first; the recoil spring and the mag valve. However (and let this next part be a lesson to us all!) I was advised in the shop as well as from several places online, not to attempt to put the hammer spring upgrade in by myself. I didn't take this advice and managed to disassemble the entire thing.

It's not as bad as I thought. It only took me SEVERAL HOURS YESTERDAY to put the new spring in and attempt to put it back together again. Even when everything was in and together I found the spring didn't actually work properly and prevented the gun from firing... so I DID IT ALL AGAIN TODAY and put the old spring back in. It now works...

I have 2 problems now...

Firstly, I can cock it and fire it and everything, but when I attempt to take the slide off it gets stuck. I have to stick a screwdriver in and push the internal hammer bit (part 271 on the exploded diagram below) down a bit further in order for the slide to slide over the top of it and right off.

Secondly, the slide lock spring has come out (part 68 in the diagram below). It's the only part I can't put back in because I don't know where it goes. It's not obvious where its supposed to go, and I can't find any pictures anywhere to show me! The gun operates but it'd be good for the slide to lock when the mag was empty again!

If anyone can help me with the above problems it'd be greatly GREATLY appreciated.

glock23f_2.jpg

Ha ha ha, yeah, the Glock is fun to take apart, isn't it? I just love it. Actually I don't, at all. Anyway, that very same slide lock spring had me a little confused for a little while, as it came out when I took mine apart too - but here's a tip, you don't actually have to loosen the trigger mech to get the hammer mech out of the frame. I know it seems almost impossible, like the trigger bar (part 92) is holding the hammer mech down, but try and mess with the trigger itself and the trigger bar swings up far enough to lift the hammer mech clear of the frame - barely.

Anyway, on to part 68, the slide lock spring. If you look at the spring, you'll see that both kinda have little hooks that can grab onto something. Check this out:

slidelockspring.jpg

I've put a red frame around the parts of the spring that are visible, and red dots along the parts that are covered. you'll see that one hook grabs onto the little notch on top of part 65, the other end grabs the little thing that sticks out on the bottom inside of the slide lock, part 66. The curve of the spring hooks around pin number 59. It's easy to fit once you understand where it's supposed to sit. :) Much, much easier to fit than the hammer spring. :P

Oh, and sorry about the pic quality, my digicam is an old piece of *beep*!

Thanks Utty!

It's solved that problem. Didn't take me as long to put that spring back in as it did to put in the other one!!!

So, the only problem now is the slide not coming off without a bit of extra interaction with a screwdriver or something...

I was about to write a message saying that I'd knackered the lot and the only thing I could salvage is the metal slide, but it fires fine now. I'll fully test it tomorrow to make sure it fires in single and full auto.

Thanks again, Utty. Your pic is fine!

---

Glad it helped. :) As for the internal hammer blocking the slide for takedown, it has to be the hammer assembly not having been put back together properly. I made my 18C do the same thing at first, I think it was because I had placed the hammer spring wrong.

This is how it's supposed to sit:

hammerspring.jpg

Green arrows point to the ends of the spring - see the red dots? They outline the original length of the spring, I found that the spring fits much better by shortening the ends in that way: the bottom end doesn't slip out of the "ledge" it's supposed to sit on, and the top end fits better into the cutout that it rests in. Maybe you've placed the top end into the round notch (blue arrows)? That's what I did at first, and the hammer wouldn't go down far enough, interfering with the slide during cycling.

Also read this guide if you haven't already, it's very useful, and realisticly pessimistic. :P

Archived