Some nice AK mags

Carbine

mag_done.JPG

real_mag.JPG

My real-steel Kalashnikov bakelite and black plastic mags converted to take G&P midcap internals. This guide will also work for the steel mags. Crenna has a few, so maybe he can post pics of his mags.

How-to:

1.) You need: a hacksaw, a Dremel tool or a file, a drill with a 2mm bit, a marker

2.) Remove the spring from the real mag by removing the base plate

3.) Remove the G&P mag internals.

4.) Compare the now empty mags together and mark the real-mag with a marker to make it the same height as the G&P mag. Consult the pics if you're not sure where to cut.

5.) Cut along the line you just marked

6.) sand the front part of the G&P mag's internals until it will fit inside the real mag's shell carefully testing it as you go

7.) Once the G&P internals fit into the real mag's shell, take only the real shell and see if it fits the magwell of your gun. File the mag accordingly 'till it fits. Guarder steel kits only require a bit of filing of the mag. I haven't tested regular plastic or metal receivers.

8.) Once the shell fits the gun and the internals fit the shell, but them together without the base plate and try fitting them into your gun. Don't force them, but rather file them untill they fit nice and tight.

9.) Once everything fits together you can fit the base plate and test fire your gun.

10.) And you're done! No more fear of mags breaking. And they look the dog's bo**ocks, as you Brits would say :)

Things to watch out for:

Don't fit the internals into the shell untill you think you've sanded them enough. If you force them into the shell too hard they will be next to impossible to remove!

When you're cutting the top of the mag, rather cut too little at a time than too much since it's impossible to add material but easy to remove it!

And to top it off, here's a pic of my AKSU with the hero arms drum mag, for your enjoyment: aksu_drum.JPG

Jimsin, I recommend you do. The real mags are just so much nicer than the G&P ones, for example. I can toss them around anyway I want without having to fear them breaking. The attachments are also proper steel, not plastic like in the airsoft mags.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Carbine. . care to comment on the Hero Arms AK drum? quality, reliability, functionality, etc? I'm assuming it's all plastic and not sheetmetal?

(I've been working on an Electric winding AK drum .. can't find the time to finish it though. .just need to mount the servo. . using a real gutted Romanian drum and modified MP5 hicap)

The Hero Arms drum is sheet steel with the parts that attach it to the receiver made of aluminum. The "neck" where the feed tube is is plastic. Internals are mostly plastic.

It seems to feed very well, but is quite a tight fit in my AKs' steel receivers. I haven tried it with a plastic or non-Guarder receivers.

• 11 months later...

I love the search function. WGC just shipped my VFC AK74, and I don't like the look of any of the "bakelite" mags available. I am going to do this too. I just need to find some good condition mags, and I'm all set.

Archived