TM Sig Sauer P226 Rail review

This is a review of the TM Sig Sauer P226 Rail (pictures might take some time to load if slow connection).

first impressions: The box has a pretty nice design, black, with a photo of a p226 on the front, and the SS logo in greenish colour, with the following text underneath:

“Sig Sauer P226 Rail

Hi-Kick Hi-grouping

Sidearm of the special forces U.S. Navy SEALs. Provides the “To hell and back reliability” that has made SIG so famous”

so, anyway, enough about the box. :P

well, not really.

the inside of the box is quite stylish as well, also black in colour, made of polystyrene, but with a small plastic oval with the word ‘SIG’ written in silver lettering just to give it that extra nice feel when you open the box for the first time.

nice, isnt it? :P

p226box.jpg

When I picked up the gun, I was a bit disappointed by the weight I guess, as with almost all TM pistols, the p226 is mainly ABS, thankfully, id picked up a CREATION aluminium slide + outer barrel, because I was worried it might not be able to take green reliably in summer ;)

the p226 has the following trades on the slide and frame

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/sir...p226trades1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/sir...p226trades2.jpg

I decided to give it a try using the stock parts before upgrading. pretty nice kick, decent grouping, around 6cm at 5m, rapid fire, but I didn’t really like the amount of gas being expelled with each shot, seemed like the slide was about to fly off, so I decided to swap the slides, inner and outer barrels. with the creation kit installed (I left out the piston head, because I heard that it was too tight, and I didn’t feel like taking apart that part of the gun) and a nine ball tightbore, the gun had a much nicer weight and kick.

p226onbox.jpg

here are the groupings at 10m and 5m, using .25g bbs, green gas, the creation slide+barrel, and the nine ball tightbore

10m, 8cm grouping

10mtarget.png

5m 4cm grouping

5mtarget.png

pretty nice groupings for an airsoft pistol :D

The TM p226 features an adjustable hopup (uses the same type of bucking as the g26 and the VSR10) which can be accessed by taking the slide off, and turning a small wheel located just behind the recoil spring guide. To take the slide off, you just need to remove the magazine, make sure the hammer is not cocked, and turn the slide disassembly switch clockwise for 90 degrees, and the slide will be pushed out slightly.

the slide off, you can see half of the hopup wheel

p226slideoff.jpg

without any upgrades, the hopup turned on full was perfect for .25g bbs, however, with the tightbore, full hop made the .25 overhop, so I had to turn it down to about half full. with the hop adjusted and with a tightbore, the pistol can shoot around 100ft with person-sized groupings. quite impressive.

without the upgrades, the p226 shot at around 260 fps with .2g, and couldn’t go through the side of a coke can (.25g) but with the tightbore, fps increased, and it can easily penetrate one side of the can (also with .25g) so im guessing it shoots at around 280/290 with .2g

The p226 also has a functioning de-cocking lever, which acts as a sort of safety.

hammer not cocked

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/sirrith/uncocked.jpg

hammer decocked (sorry for poor quality of picture)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/sirrith/decocked.jpg

hammer cocked

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/sirrith/cocked.jpg

summary:

The TM P226 is a very nice pistol, has great range and accuracy, and is definitly worth the price, although I recommend getting the creation metal slide + outer barrel, or the G&P metal frame + slide, and a tightbore for improved performance. I would definitly buy this pistol again if I happened to break mine somehow, it feels wonderful in my hand, and seems to be just the right weight, balance, and shape. the blowback action is nice and crisp, and the hopup is amazing.

random picture

p226slidelock.jpg

hope this helped :)

Edited by sirrith
  • 1 month later...

How hard was the fitting of the metal slide? I have been looking at a TM P226, and a lot of people seem to reccomend a metal slide/barrel/body, however they briefly mention that they are a PITA(Pain In The *albatross*) to fit to the gun.

Your view on this?

thanks

KM3

• 4 weeks later...

sorry, i didnt see this post until now.

the great thing about the creation slide is that no mods are required at all, its a drop-in fit, unlike the guarder/G&P, or ironically, the more expansive ones like PCG, which require the filing of the blowback chamber to fit the slide.

Our club has 9 P226's with the Creation Slides...all installed easily by different individuals of various airsoft-smithing skills.

Two had issues with the G&P grip and slide...they said they were ill fitting and caused malfunctions in the action. The owner converted to the Creation slide and he is very happy.