G3 SAS Clone Am Good! (aka R-8)

crackisbad

If you are an airsoft fan who has not been living in a cave for the past couple of months, you know that there have been a flood of low cost AEGs that have sprung up all over the place from UTG's MP5 to CYMA's new AK with a metal gearbox. WELL has also produced some AEGs which performed moderately well for their price, such as the R-6 (M4 clone) and the R-5 (MP5 Clone). Their newest venture is the R-8, or G3 SAS clone, which i just got in the mail today. :D

My first impression out of the box was a mixture between pleasant surprise and disappointment. Disappointed because the upper receiver feels and looks a bit more "plasticy" :P than my UTG MP5 (but definitely not as bad as an LPEG) and because the magazine was plastic and light. But happy because it was still heavy, about just as much or very close to the MP5 and because the grip feels awesome. It has a great texture to it that makes it feel more like rubber. One of the first things that I noticed is MANY similarities between this gun and my UTG MP5, such as the claw mount, the front end/flash hider, and butt stock. All three are more or less identical between the two guns.

There are a couple pros and cons that I have already noticed and i will cover them all in due time, but I know you are all itching to see pictures so here they are (there are about 20 pictures so this will take probably two posts):

Box it came in:

9e331ea6.jpg

Opened:

050287c5.jpg

Battery (8.4v 1050mAh NiMH):

059bc093.jpg

Magazine from the side:

a3e9bca5.jpg

Magazine from the top:

a9abe4d4.jpg

Included Accessories:

b3df82ba.jpg

Comparison between the MP5 claw mount (right) and the G3 mount (left)

fadc7dd4.jpg

Here is what the underside of the G3 claw mount looks like:

2e76515c.jpg

Here is what the underside of the MP5 claw mount looks like:

f8b7675c.jpg

The gun itself:

4d173013.jpg

to be continued....

edit: fixed picture size

Front End:

4f4198df.jpg

Comparison between MP5 (right) and G3 (left) front ends:

070173e2.jpg

Selector Switch:

c98d0602.jpg

"Trademarks" :P :

667ad353.jpg

Stock and Foregrip removed:

15e74cd1.jpg

Wires (seem to be better than the UTG's, but we shall see):

985be2bc.jpg

Hop Up is accessed by pulling the cocking handle:

64eeea61.jpg

and that is all for now. :P

Pictures of the internals will follow in a couple of days.

Ok, now lets talk about the gun.

Pros first:

Out of the box this has excellent power and a good ROF. I don't have a chrono but from my poor man chrono i would say that it is very close to my stock TM M4 in FPS wise. I will try to do a pop can test within the next couple of days to get a better idea, the box says it shoots 250-270 with .20 grams and I'd say that sounds about right to me.

Since this has a lot of similarities with the UTG MP5 my first thought was that the mag would have the same feeding problems as the UTG. But that is definitely not the case, thank god. So far i have gone about 500 rounds without a single misfeed in either full auto or semi.

The hand grip has a great feel/texture and is very comfortable (if you're right handed)

Supposed to be compatible with TM parts(we shall hopefully see).

The included rails are metal.

Cons:

Like i said, upper receiver looks a bit more plasticy, but not much more and definitely not LPEG style. (maybe i am just imagining things, which could be a posiblility considering its about 1:30 am here :nosleep::P )

Selector switch is ######. It is very lose and it is probably the first thing i will be looking to replace.

Not much metal on this gun beside the gearbox and rails

The mag is plastic and light.

(thats all for now, time will tell)

My Verdict:

I would say that for a beginner just getting into airsoft, this would be a better bet than the UTG MP5 for a couple reasons, the two major ones that i can think of right now being:

1. FPS is better than the UTG's meaning that someone who has no idea about how AEGs work will not have to get into their gun's internals just to get it on par with other AEGs on the field. I'm not saying that this gun could hold its own against an upgraded AEG, all I'm saying is that unlike with the MP5, it isn't necessary to fix the internal problems to get a dependable gun.

2. The magazine actually feeds on this gun, so you save an extra $20-$30 by not having to buy another mag just to be able to actually use your gun. i know, i know, there are some mods that you can do the MP5 mags to make them more reliable, but none of them worked for me so forgive me for being skeptical :P .

I will update this with more information after i open up the gun and peek at the gearbox and after i get a little more time with the gun to see how it performs in the long run.

Crackisbad,

Can you put your UTG MP5 sliding stock on it? It sure looks like you can. :D

:P lol, that was my first thought too and one of the first things i tried. But no, it didnt work :( . The problem is that the "channel" where the posts of the sliding stock would slide into are just *barely* to narrow (yellow part of picture). And the end is just a little bit fatter than the cap from the sliding stock. (red part of picture. That part of the gun and cap are at the same level).

35bfc4ac.jpg

Hmm, i was actually able to force it on but i had to take the sling hook off and the sliding stock has to stay locked in its outer most position. I wouldnt recomend it because it would put strain on the the sliding stock cap and since it is plastic (and probably not the best in the world) it could break fairly quickly:

38ef5955.jpg

hmm liking actually!  How much and any idea on the upgradability yet?

would be a cheaper alternative to the TM g3sas (which i like)

whats the gearbox like?  Poo?

cheers

:D I like it too, expecial for how much i got it for! I got it off ebay for $100 and word on the street :P is that the internals are completely TM compatable and just from my quick time with it so far i am very inclined to believe that. The gearbox is metal and the gun has been going strong now for about 750 rounds through it.

I dont know what the internals of the gearbox look like because i havent had a chance to take it apart yet (will take lots of pictures when i do! :P )

Here's a quick picture of the mag well where you can see that the gearbox is indeed metal:

de491d46.jpg

The included accessories are all more or less poo. The reflex sight is alright (adjustable up/down and left/right) but i dont think i would ever use it on an AEG. The sling is el cheapo poo and you might as well just throw it away. Me personally I'm not to fond of the claw mount because it mounts far back on the gun and it is kinda tall so it makes the gun look disproportionate.

Let me know if you have any other questions! ;)

I will work on getting pics of the internals hopefully by the end of this week and i think i am going to play this weekend, so if i take it with me i will let you all know how it holds up!

Hey crackis bad, can you take a picture of it with the RIS side rails on, and the magazine in, and full stock but the flash hider off? I really like the look of a "flush" G3SAS I was wondering if it'lll look as good with the Well R-8. Thanks~

Damn you!!1 LOL...I think I have been convinced to get one of these. Have you tried to use a metal TM G3 mag in it by anychance? I use an SG1 Tm right now, so it would be bad *albatross* if they work.

navymp28, this is what I am talking about (http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=21750&st=20) go down to Post #26 (LedPocket's post) If this gun fits the Nito Vo Rail Sleeve Kurz for the Mp5 PDW it'll be a pretty kick as gun. Btw, the rail alone costs about the same as the gun.

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...KURZ_srch_nitro

Hey Crackisbad, do you know if the R8 will fit the TM extendable stocks? I know that the UTG's stocks is designed to be interchangable with the full stock, so it might be different.

Keep the review coming crackisbad!!

Just what I wanted to see.

+1 for you.

Mucho Grassy-*albatross*! :P

Hey crackis bad, can you take a picture of it with the RIS side rails on, and the magazine in, and full stock but the flash hider off? I really like the look of a "flush" G3SAS I was wondering if it'lll look as good with the Well R-8. Thanks~

ask and you shall receive:

b80ee895.jpg

sorry it took so long to reply, i was at a friend's losing my money at poker :P

As you can see in the picture, the inner barrel sticks out into the flash hider about 3/4 of an inch to an inch. So if you wanted it without the flash hider you would either need to chop it or get a different inner.

Damn you!!1 LOL...I think I have been convinced to get one of these. Have you tried to use a metal TM G3 mag in it by anychance? I use an SG1 Tm right now, so it would be bad *albatross* if they work.

muahahaha! My C.A.B.S.* will spread and effect everyone! :P

I dont know about the TM mags as i dont have any around here, but as soon as i get ahold of some i will let you know (i am hoping they do).

*Chronic Arisoft Buying Syndrome

navymp28, this is what I am talking about (http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=21750&st=20) go down to Post #26 (LedPocket's post) If this gun fits the Nito Vo Rail Sleeve Kurz for the Mp5 PDW it'll be a pretty kick as gun. Btw, the rail alone costs about the same as the gun.

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...KURZ_srch_nitro

Hey Crackisbad, do you know if the R8 will fit the TM extendable stocks? I know that the UTG's stocks is designed to be interchangable with the full stock, so it might be different.

Keep the review coming crackisbad!!

wow, i love that rail! i dont know if it will fit because on the UTG, the front sights were not TM compatible, you had to replace the whole cocking tube assembly. I have not taken the front sights off the G3 yet, but since it looks so similar i would assume that is the case for this gun as well.

If that didnt make sense or if you want more info/pictures about what i am talking about, look here: Click Me!

I dont know about the TM stock because i dont have one here. But just from looking at pictures i noticed one discrepency: looking at the end of the body on the TM it looks a bit longer and it has two holes. Look on this CA metal body:

Click Me!

i would think that your best bet is to do a little dremel work and stick with the UTG MP5 sliding stock.

sort of looks like a crossbreed of a mp5 stock, bizon forgrip and a g3 mag.

Gotta mix things up so you dont get bored! :P

This means the hop up is adjustable right? Because I was reading gunner's topic on the aug and it doesn't come with adjustable hop up. :(

Yup! The AUG and this are totally different. The AUG is made by Both Elephant and features a plastic gearbox. This is an G3 made by Well that has a metal gearbox.

Are you actually Romanian?

If UK then where did you buy the gun?

Also - if anyone else knows - could they PM me!

Looks great mate!  Good review.

+1

CC

Yup, i was born in Cluj, Romania in what was formally known as Transylvania :fear2: .

I'm not in the U.K., I'm now living in the US of A. I got this gun from ebay for $100. The only place I've seen it in stock is here:

Click Me!

The owner of the store/website is actually a member on these forums, so you could PM him for UK shipping. (gunnerairsoft is SN)

Thanks! Hope that helps!

hey crackisbad, I PMed Ledpocket, the person who had the Nitro Vo rail on his TM G3SAS, and he said that he used a CA metal body for the G3 (which he had to grind and fill to make it fit) then placed the rail on, which again he had to grind and fill to make it work. I just realized that the TM G3SAS actually uses a G3 body (duh..hehe), (2 holes for the stock) but the R8 uses a MP5 body (1 hole for the stock), so I went to see what the TM MP5 stock looks like, and it has 1 hole for mounting point, so a MP5 retractable stock might still fit.

Now comes the questions of the differences between the G3 body and the MP5 body: Besides the the 2 or 1 hole difference in the mounting of the stock, is there any other differences between them? Cause the Nitro Vo rail LedPocket used (and I linked to) is actually for a MP5. (could that be the reason he had to grind and fill to make it fit?)

I know this questions are kind of OT, but I think the R8 would look very badass with the rail (if it fits...)

Correction: the g3sas w/nitro rail I made uses all g3 or g3sas specific parts. There are no mp5 parts on it.

here is the list I gave to mrcursed:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...d5f7233614362f1

I did a very similar mod to an MP5K, which might be where the confusion is.

On the g3 sas, the CA body needing grinding and filing (not filling ;) ) to fit it together. And since the ca body was off spec from the TM, the nitro rail need similar grinding and filing to fit on.

edit: here's a pic of both:

20051223g303627pp.jpg

Yup! The AUG and this are totally different. The AUG is made by Both Elephant and features a plastic gearbox. This is an G3 made by Well that has a metal gearbox.

gunner posted a short review of a new be aug, and it comes with a metal gearbox.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=54882

I just wanted to be sure. Didn't want to get one with out adjustable hop up.

gunner posted a short review of a new be aug, and it comes with a metal gearbox.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=54882

I just wanted to be sure. Didn't want to get one with out adjustable hop up.

:blush: heh, yea i realized that after i left. yea this one definitely has adjustible hop-up, dont worry about that.

And i'm still not sure about the TM G3 mags, i will hopefully find out this weekend when i play.

hey crackisbad, I PMed Ledpocket, the person who had the Nitro Vo rail on his TM G3SAS, and he said that he used a CA metal body for the G3 (which he had to grind and fill to make it fit) then placed the rail on, which again he had to grind and fill to make it work. I just realized that the TM G3SAS actually uses a G3 body (duh..hehe), (2 holes for the stock) but the R8 uses a MP5 body (1 hole for the stock), so I went to see what the TM MP5 stock looks like, and it has 1 hole for mounting point, so a MP5 retractable stock might still fit.

Now comes the questions of the differences between the G3 body and the MP5 body: Besides the the 2 or 1 hole difference in the mounting of the stock, is there any other differences between them? Cause the Nitro Vo rail LedPocket used (and I linked to) is actually for a MP5. (could that be the reason he had to grind and fill to make it fit?)

I know this questions are kind of OT, but I think the R8 would look very badass with the rail (if it fits...)

Well, ledpocket already answered some of your Q's so i'll try to cover the rest.

Actually, the R-8 uses an G3 body too (as it is a G3 ;) )but the end of the R-8 is more like a MP5 than a normal G3 with the one hole deal going on.

The retractable stock that i tried to fit on this gun was for a MP5 and it didnt work too well. But since this gun only has One hole instead of the G3 normal 2, i think the best bet to fitting a retractable stock would be with a MP5 one and a little dremel work.

There are A LOT of differences between the MP5 and G3 bodies that you can see from ledpocket's pictures. The G3 is bigger/longer all around.

Yea, i think that rail is awesome but even though the rail is meant for a G3, i think you would still run into problems. The first being that i dont think that the front sight you take off the G3 and the one that comes with the kit to replace it are not interchangeable without some work. Like i said before, the UTG MP5 front sights/flash hider were not interchangeable with other MP5 front sights/flash hiders (TM, CA, ICS, etc) without some work or replacing the whole front end. And since this looks exactly the same, i would assume that that is also the case for the R-8 with other G3 front sights/flash hiders (see my previous post/link about this for more info).

BTW: Ledpocket, awesome G3 ;)

Ok, this update is going to be quick because its late and im tired. i'll go into more details later.

Got good news and bad news.

Good news first: gun held up surprisingly well when i used it a bit today. Couldnt really hang with the Upgraded AEGs, but still good.

Bad news: TM G3 mags dont fit :( . I took it to my local airsoft store and tried to fit a TM mag in it and it was a no go. The TM mags are just barely fatter.

Edit: heh, for some reason i cant spell going :unsure:

Ok, this update is going to be quick because its late and im tired. i'll go into more details later.

Got good news and bad news. 

Good news first: gun held up surprisingly well when i used it a bit today. Couldnt really hang with the Upgraded AEGs, but still good.

Bad news: TM G3 mags dont fit :( . I took it to my local airsoft store and tried to fit a TM mag in it and it was a no go.  The TM mags are just barely fatter.

Edit: heh, for some reason i cant spell going :unsure:

Thamks for the info...well that rules that gun out...TM mags no fit, then gun no use.

Archived