Tanaka Smython Review

Hello

Someone suggested that I put up my Tanaka Smython review that I had previously written in the newbie forums a little while back , and until now I had forgotten.

Here it is again. Enjoy

Hey all

Bought the Smython on Wednesday from Wolf Armouries on Wednesday and it arrived first thing Thursday.

According to some sites it is a hybrid gun ,comprising of a Smith and Wesson K Frame as seen on Tanaka's M19 and a Colt Python 6" Barrel. According to certain sources this can be done on the real steel version , combining the reliability and comfort of the k frame with the accuracy of the python barrel.

smythonbox8zn.th.jpg

First impression is that it is big in comparison to my TM Beretta ,which is no bad thing.

smythonandberetta0gy.th.jpg

Once in my hand it felt really comfortable ,thanks to the rubber grip. Unfortunately for some it may prove uncomfortable for left-handed people due to the moulding of the grip.

smythongrip6uo.th.jpg

It does feel lighter than I expected but then it is more practical that way. The chamber, hammer ,sights and trigger are metal , Something that I believe the Tokyo Marui Colt Python does not have ,which is one of the reasons I chose this particular gun.

smythonsideon9io.th.jpg

The fake shells are quite detailed , but with Tanaka the shells are not removable , Which ,in my opinion , is a good thing as shells can be lost or damaged. The chamber can be spun , and with a flick of the wrist it clicks back into place ,something which any revolver owner must do .

After staring at the gun for a while I decided to gas it up and check accuracy.

The gas reservoir is housed inside the chamber , as opposed to being in the grip. The benefit of this is that the gas has less distance to travel and provides more power .

The downside of this is that it is more awkward to fill than your average gun , with an adaptor (which is provided) needed to attach to the gas canister to allow it to reach the gas fill valve.

After filling with 134a gas I loaded the BBs provided (0.20gs I think) which is done on the opposite side to the gas fill valve. There is a loading tool provided with the gun but its a bit rubbish so resorted to using my TM loader. Once loaded , a quick spin of the chamber and you can see your bbs , which looks pretty cool.

Now I'm ready to fire. This revolver is a double action so it only takes a single trigger pull to fire, but this can affect accuracy so for my first shot I cocked the hammer and fired.Turns out its pretty accurate but it did move slightly to the left of target. Whether it is me or the hop , I’m not entirely sure but it was slightly off.

The hop is adjusted by a provided Allen(hex) key and it sits above the inner barell near the chamber. I haven’t adjusted it yet as I haven't been shooting it much ,ust holding it and staring at it with big grin on my face biggrin.gif .

Overall I am very impressed with it. I love its appearance , it is very comfortable to ,hold great fun to shoot and overall a bad-*albatross* looking gun

Hayabusa

Nice gun, good review.

One thing though "and with a flick of the wrist it clicks back into place ,something which any revolver owner must do ." Actuely one thing a revolver owner must try to avoid doing because it is bad for the gun, real or replica.

Nice gun, good review.

One thing though "and with a flick of the wrist it clicks back into place ,something which any revolver owner must do ." Actuely one thing a revolver owner must try to avoid doing because it is bad for the gun, real or replica.

wait, really? :o ######, I've been doing that with my Constrictor... How come it's bad for the gun? is it because it adds stress to the "neck" of the swing arm of the cylinder when you snap it back in?

still not a full rieview. One thing that i am after is the muzzle velocity. can you tell me please. (on 134a with a .2g)

I will be honest and say that I really do not have a clue as I'm still new to most of this.The only other person I know with a Smython is Marlowe. He may know. I suggest you PM him.Sorry I'm not being more helpful.

My apologies.

Hayabusa

Edited by Hayabusa
  • 1 year later...