MP7 External battery mod...

Docv400

Finally got round to doing my external battery-pack mod for my MP7.

First off, made a dummy battery from a piece of ply cut and sanded to the right cross sectional size and a quarter inch (6mm) shorter.

Then cut two fine slits in the end and pushed in two pieces of copper sheet 15mm X 30mm bent over at the ends to form the contacts.

Glued some slivers of wood into the empty parts of the slots and clamped it all up.

Dummybatt.jpg

Carved out some slots in the sides to expose the copper sheets and made two terminal tags from some wiring terminals, screwed to the sheets with self tappers.

Soldered wires to the tags and filled the voids with Araldite.

Put a plug on the end and feed the plug through the slot in the right side of the gun (filing a very small part to let the locking tab of the plug through) and plug into a 7.2V 2100mah battery pack housed in a Viper single mag pouch which hangs on the right hand rail (rail fits perfectly through the webbing loops on the pouch :P )

MP7Battmod.jpg

MP7Battmod1.jpg

MP7Battmod2.jpg

ROF has increased noticably and it should last nicely...

1800mah batteries are £10 from Maplins or £12 for 2100mah off E-bay :D

The wood may give your position away, should paint it black, but nevertheless, looks great.

I'd be more concerned about the big white battery than a tiny piece of wood that's barely visible. :D

Anyway, if you're playing in woodland, surely the wood would help? If you're playing in urban, the gun itself is more likely to give away your position than a tiny bit of wood that's barely visible.

What cells are you using?

I bought some 2400mAh AA's from Maplins which don't supply enough current - when the gun demands the voltage, the internal resistance soars - and it no longer supplies the voltage - which means that the gun won't "turn over".

My thread -

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=58285

Can you give me a link / product number?

Ta.

CC

The other option I looked at was mounting an AK47S/MP5K type stick battery alongside the top rail, would be less obtrusive than what I've done but I don't know if you can get a 6-cell one off-the-shelf.

I've just got to resist the temptetion to put 8.4V through it now :P

I checked the ROF earlier.

Time to empty mag with original, freshly charged, battery=4.7secs (just over 10 rps)

With 2100mah pack which had fired approx 10 mags already=3.4secs (just under 15rps)

So a useful gain, there's no discernable lag either, it's just like a 'normal' AEG response-wise.

Dude, Nine Ball have released a External Battery Mod anyhow. Redwolf have them in.

=&p_arrSel[category2]=&SID=c33516b57daae5c56b7f4d1353ae5544]HERE

Plus a few other mods, take a look.

One one site ive seen these it advises not to use anything bigger than a mini battery though. Some gear mods maybe needed first.

Hope this helps

Martin

• 7 months later...

Finally got an opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of ROF with a standard battery.

I bought Armleg's MP7 for a friend.

The standard battery in his gun was freshly charged.

The 3000mah 7.2V pack in mine had fired approx 1000 shots since being charged.

First I fired a couple of semi shots, first the gun with the standard battery, then mine.

Next are several auto bursts, again, standard 1st, mine second, alternating.

You'll notice on the semi shots, a slight improvement in response with the ext pack.

In auto, the improvement is obvious. You'll also notice with the standard battery a slight slowing down of the ROF after the first few rounds, which doesn't happen with the ext pack.

Enjoy :P

It seems that it would have made much more sense to simply add another cell - making an 8.4v - than increasing the mah that much. Surely, the mah effects the trigger response/rof, but not as much as the voltage.

I had a similar idea back when I owned an MP7, but I was going to make a 7.2v pack out of the 750mah cells at www.cheapbatterypacks.com that are the same size as the stock cells, so it would fit in the gun. Then, I was going to have 1 remote cell attached to it hid inside a tac-light. Hence, an 8.4v 750mah battery.

[Hey have any other MP7 owners had their cocking handle break? Mine broke and when I pull back on the cocking handle, it doesn't spring back. Easier to adjust hop-up but lacks realism.]

This happened to me.

I sold my MP7 (to DOC) and when I was selling it he took all of 30 secs to take the top slide off and reattach the spring.

Not sure how exactly cos it was such a quick fix.Try PMing him.

Just take the top rail off by removing the front two screws and rear one, 2nd one from the back is a fixed 'dummy' screw. you'll see the return spring, just hook it back over the rear pin, or the front one, but it's usually the rear one.

when replacing the top rail, make sure the longer of the 3 screws goes in the front, otherwise it'll jam up the cocking mechanism.

750mah is still very low. An 8.4V 750mah pack would spin it over a little quicker but not for much longer than a 500mah one. Mine is 3000mah so will last approx 6 times as long :D

No offense to your enginuity but I would just buy another battery...
No offence taken, but you're missing the point.

You'd need 6 standard packs to get the same amount of shots, you'd be swapping them mid-game and you wouldn't get the ROF increase or faster trigger response either. :D

Archived