The G36K -- CA or STAR?

Fuser

I just bought my first AEG a few months ago and I've decided to sell it and get a new one. After days of research I've finally settled on the G36K. However, I can't decide whether to get Classic Army's model or STAR's.

I've heard some horror stories about STAR's AEGs, like a poor gearbox that craps out after days and on top of that they're not cheap and I dont want to waste my money on repairs. Other than that I've heard it has a great scope and a body that surpasses CA's.

On the other hand, Classic Army seems more reliable and the way that most people tend to go when they buy a G36 or any of its variants. I know that CA has excellent internals and a great frame, but I've read that the wires are messy, the battery sometimes wont fit, and the scope is weaker than STAR's.

Overall I'm confused and I'd like some advice from someone who owns or has handled these guns or at least someone who can denounce or confirm these "myths" that I just talked about.

I can't decide which way to go, CA or STAR. I'd love some comments---

Thanks!

I'd go with the CA.

I own a CA36, it's a great AEG!

Your right, it is completely rock-solid internally and externally. I'm not sure what the STAR is made out of, but the Glass fiber material that the CA is made out of is superb, very, very sturdy.

The stock 8.4V 1100Mah battery fits, but it's a little tricky to get it in. After a while you'll get used to it. Then if you decide to upgrade to the 9.6V nunchuck style, it fits even better.

I believe the star has a dual optic scope on it. While the CA just has a 1x zoom scope. If the scope on the StAR AEG is anything like the CA's. It's almost not worth using, horrible eye relief, and difficult to sight in. With mine, I bought a G36C rail on it and plan to stick a red-dot on.

But don't make your final decision just yet, wait until more people pipe in their opinions.

Keith.

Well, I'll start off by saying the Star body doesn't surpass CA's. It's better than the TM G36C, and it does have Hk markings which the CA lacks, but the CA36 series' body color and texture and material are all much more realistic than Star's offerings. Here is a picture of my custom G36K to illustrate this.

This is a CA body with real handguard.

DSCN0167.sized.jpg

I do think Star's body looks good, just not as good as CA's. There are some areas where the CA36 is not perfectly accurate to the realsteel though. Obviously it lacks the trademarks. Aside from that, the butt pad is improperly shaped, and the barrel is slightly too long, as are the prongs of the flash hider. I also feel the barrel finish is too shiny. These are areas Star did do better than CA.

On the topic of wiring, it is a little messy in the CA36 line, yes. It just floats in the handguard space as you can see below. But I don't think it's that hard to deal with (or to secure it with some tape if it bothers you that much). One nice thing about the CA36K's battery space is it's pre-modified to allow for 4/5A based G36 custom packs.

IMG_6771.sized.jpg

IMG_6772.sized.jpg

As for the internals, it's true CA's are more 'proven' having been around longer. However, they are not perfect. One thing I'll always change in any CA gun I might buy is the piston head. In my experience it's just not that great a part and it's tough to get good compression using it. Also, it might be a good idea to check the shimming and lubrication to make sure it's optimal. Other than that the CA internals are pretty darn good IMHO,. Although, some people like to change the hop up rubber.

Problems do occur with CA guns. Like any other make they are certainly not immune to having issues from time to time. Buy from a reputable dealer with a good return/exchange policy regardless of which make you go with. This will protect you form any out-of-box issues.

One piece of advice I'd give you based on a lot of user reports is that if you do get a CA36 be sure to get a good battery (such as an Intellect IB1400 based pack, the best choice for it IMHO). CA36's seem to be amperage hungry though really this is sound advice in either case.

As for Star, I can only comment on my M249's internals. In my opinion they're good, though perhaps not quite as good part-for-part as CA's. However my Star M249's internals have proven to be reliable as a whole, even under high stress use. There have been some negative reports regarding the Star G36 series' internals, but really not all that many given that it's been out for a little while now. They appear to be essentially the same parts as are found in my M249.

By the way don't forget about the Star gearbox's quick change spring feature. It may prove very useful to you depending on your needs. However, the long term and high stress reliability/durability record for this feature applied to the v3 gearbox model has yet to be established.

One thing Star does have going for them is that they seem to be willing to send out parts to customers for free, as long as you can get in touch with them and provide a photo of the failed part.

I can't really comment on either scope. IMHO neither is well suited to airsoft use, and the real one isn't even that great from what I've read.

If you want my personal recommendation I'd go with the CA36K.

Also I do suggest you do some searching and read some reviews. Much of this has been discussed before, and recently in some cases. Narrow your search to titles only if you're having trouble finding good results.

Other than that I've heard it has a great scope and a body that surpasses CA's.

BUH?!?!?

I have used both and I can tell you now - The STAR G36 optics are so ungodly craptastical that you essentially cannot use them at all.

The RDS has teeeeeeeeerible eye relief and the dot is reaaaaaaaaaaaally out of focus - it's a 2mm diameter blob more than a dot.

The Scope is a little better - but *beep* eye relief again and faaar too powerul for airsoft use.

The CA scope is not terribly good - but it is clear and defined well, although it shares the same eye relief issue - as do real G36s apparently.

The scope has been complained about by almost EVERY person on this forum who has used a STAR G36.

The STAR gearbox also comes with XYZ gears - Steel, but very cheap and for a gun that expensive I'd expect more than XYZ gears.

The STAR comes with plastic bushings - the CA with 7mm metal ones.

The STAR motors are notoriously craptacular - I saw one STAR G36K die after only 1 or 2 hicaps on the first skirmish.

The STAR's dimensions are slightly off - the handgrip especially.

I'd definately go CA.

• 9 months later...
Who above posted anything about Army Code parts? And isn't that kind of a G36 Pictures Thread-caliber question?

Those threads generally deal with......pictures......blame the other "wut 4m bestest G36" thread for linking me to this one....

Those threads generally deal with......pictures......

True, but maybe there will be more G36 owners looking at that thread than there are looking at a thread that's a year old. I linked to this thread bc the guy needed a comparison between STAR and CA G36's, not so it could be resurrected with a question totally unrelated...

As for the Army Code body, I'm fairly sure it fits...I remember seeing it on a CA36K about a month ago.

• 4 months later...

Hello UK and GB and all of the other countries, sorry to bring up this old thread up.

But in a few weeks I'm going to exchange an TM M4a1 with a metal body and some other things with another airsoft player in sweden. The thing is that hes STAR G36K(I'll think it is) hopup is broken, and either him or me hardly knows how to failsearch for broken things inside, but after a few month he and his friend manage to locate the hopup system. (A repeat) I've search WGC, redwolf and some other salesman, but it's hard to find STAR spare parts.

Does anyone knows a site who does? A link (relative cheap one) and so on would be cheerful!!

/Greeting from the Hybrid!

Classic Army and Tokyo Marui Chambers will work for the hop-up. The problem is no one has them instock...

Edit: I don't know what part is broken but here is a metal chamber.

http://www.gunsnguys.com/ishop/Contents/Sh...asp?ProdID=2839

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=7661

Ah ha!

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/pr_details.jsp?pid=7949

Classic Army complete hop-up chamber.

I will say up front that myself i've never owned a cag36 of any type but own 2 stars a g36 and g36k and myself have never had a problem so far, but really that means nothing when it comes down to it you can always get a lemon both company have had qc issues know and in the past and both are far from perfect you just have to balance the up and downs of each.

Even know there seems to very little info in regard to star guns and very few reviews seem to be about, althought there is a nice one over at airsoft retreat for the g36k you might want to have a look at that.

As with ca in the past there seems to be a lot of miss information about stars gun running around most people that complain have had a friend etc etc that have had one, and i still come across a large number of people that believe the g36 gearbox is plastic as an example.

I'd avoid the STAR simply on the basis of personal experience with their appalling standards.

I repair the guns of people who use our local site.

After a month of skirmishing, very few G36's will have a working red dot, simply because the battery cap falls off and gets lost. Not that it's much of a problem as people have explained, the optics are dire (goes for all G36's even the real ones from what I've heard).

STAR SL-8 unable to remove the hop unit without taking the gun's spine out and seperating it, mis-made channels prevented the hop unit rotating.

Barrel was rotated in the hop unit so hop could not possibly work.

Silicon grease on the hop rubber acting like super glue.

STAR UMP unable to do over 250fps because of hop unit issues

STAR M249 - oh boy!

Trigger snapped.

Leaf switch what controls the box mag snapped (still unable to work out how that one happened!). Had to make a new switch from scratch.

Microswitch that controls the motor cracked up. Had to rewire the gun totally using relays so that one trigger switch (the one I made from scratch to control the box mag) activated both the box mag and the motor.

Motor burnt out. That's after about 6 months worth of skirmishing (spent about 12 months sat at my house being repaired from all the failures) with the brushes nearly totally worn down.

Nearly forgot, the spur gear is warped, yup, warped, you can watch it going up and down as it spins.

Clones like SRC, dboys and JG have better quality and reliability than STAR.

Archived