Getting sued

airsoft 101

Everyone knows that people get sued for the dummest things. Like that lady who sued Mcdonalds because she spilled her coffee on herself and got burned, she then sued Mcdonalds "because they didn't tell her the coffee was hot", or that one family that sued Mcdondalds because they got fat. We basically all know that idiot people get away with suing for the stupidest reasons. So just post an dumb way people get sued.

:D (be sure to tell if it actually happened or it could happen and would be funny if it did) :D

Ok so I'm replying to my own topic, I know its dumb but this is really funny.

This one guy was trying to rob a house. He go on the roof to try to get in through the chimney. While he was going to the chimney he fell through the roof. He injured himself when he hit the ground. Then he sued the owners of the house and won! How would anyone get away with that? That is one reason why this country is corrupt.

Another maccy d one, a while back, few years at least, some stupid lad let his pet rat loose in macdonalds, as a joke, and one of the members of staff killed it with a broom or stamped on it or something.

He sued :D . Don't think he won the case though lol

Oh, and there's the bloke that sued a motorbike company, because he ended up in hospital after drinking petrol when he was thirsty.

"It didn't say not to drink it on the tank"

:D

Can't remember which one it was, but I think they now do have warnings on all of there bikes about the danger of drinking petrol

ah but you miss one vital bit of that story

the woman in question sued becsue she used to put her dog in the oven to dry it out on a very low heat. she assumed a microwave did thios also and used that as her base, she did in fact WIN the case.

the funnest part is the animal rights group who COUNTERSUED for cuelty to animals which they then won.

ah but you miss one vital bit of that story 

the woman in question sued becsue she used to put her dog in the oven to dry it out on a very low heat.  she assumed a microwave did thios also and used that as her base,  she did in fact WIN the case.

the funnest part is the animal rights group who COUNTERSUED for cuelty to animals which they then won.

sometimes i wonder wtf is up with some people... :blink:

who in their right *fruitcage* mind would put his dog in the oven to dry?????? :o

ffs lady, go get hit by a bus !

Sometimes I wonder whether you people have ever looked at snopes.com :P

Cruise control one : urban legend

Microwaved pet one: urban legend

The McDonald's coffee one is true. However, she actually had a GOOD REASON to sue. McDonald's were, at the time, serving their coffee quite a bit hotter than they were legally allowed to. They were serving it at a temperature that could cause third-degree burns even through clothes.

Think of it like someone shooting at you with a 500fps+ gun. The 328fps limit is there to keep you free from bloody cuts, much like coffee temperature regulations are :P

Other (certified real) lawsuits that are a bit silly:

• In March 1995, a San Diego man unsuccessfully attempted to sue the city and Jack Murphy Stadium for $5.4 million over something than can only be described as a wee problem: Robert Glaser claimed the stadium's unisex bathroom policy at a Billy Joel and Elton John concert caused him embarrassment and emotional distress thanks to the sight of a woman using a urinal in front of him. He subsequently tried "six or seven" other bathrooms in the stadium only to find women in all of them. He asserted he "had to hold it in for four hours" because he was too embarrassed to share the public bathrooms with women.

• A San Carlos, California, man sued the Escondido Public Library for $1.5 million. His dog, a 50-pound Labrador mix, was attacked November 2000 by the library's 12-pound feline mascot, L.C., (also known as Library Cat). The case was heard in January 2004, with the jury finding for the defendant. In a further case which was resolved in July 2004, the plaintiff in the previous suit was ordered to pay the city $29,362.50, which amounted to 75% of its legal fees associated with that case.

• In 1994, a student at the University of Idaho unsuccessfully sued that institution over his fall from a third-floor dorm window. He'd been mooning other students when the window gave way. It was contended the University failed to provide a safe environment for students or to properly warn them of the dangers inherent to upper-story windows.

• In 1993, McDonald's was unsuccessfully sued over a car accident in New Jersey. While driving, a man who had placed a milkshake between his legs, leaned over to reach into his bag of food and squeezed the milkshake container in the process. When the lid popped off and spilled half the drink in his lap, this driver became distracted and ran into another man's car. That man in turn tried to sue McDonald's for causing the accident, saying the restaurant should have cautioned the man who had hit him against eating while driving.

Hmm, the only one I can remember, was that farmer in England, who woke up in the middle of the night to hear people rummaging about down stairs. It being in the middle of the country, he immediately got suspicious and grabbed his shotgun(as you do ;)). Then he went downstairs, and they attacked him, so he shot both of them. He's now doing time for manslaughter.... I mean wtf! They broke into HIS house! :D

Note: Thats the story off the top of my head!

Hauk

Hmm, the only one I can remember, was that farmer in England, who woke up in the middle of the night to hear people rummaging about down stairs. It being in the middle of the country, he immediately got suspicious and grabbed his shotgun(as you do ;)). Then he went downstairs, and they attacked him, so he shot both of them. He's now doing time for manslaughter.... I mean wtf! They broke into HIS house! :D

Hauk

Oh, there's far too many details missed out of that. And it's in no way funny

I use the legal action threat to get out of loads of things at work (Iceland :()

Eg. When im on tills and a customer ask me to pack there bags for them, i tell them i can't because we've been told not to incase the bags splits, and causes injury to said person and leaves us open to legal action. I then normally get to skive for 5 minutes whilst i have a conversation with the customer about how stupid the rule is.

Another is when people beg to come in just as we're closing and emptying the shop, 'Sorry you can't come in incase you hurt yourself in the shop and sue us for letting you in'

Hauk

So, what happnes to the people in the city?

*hear rummaging down stairs*

Oh, its fine honey, go back to sleep. We live in the city.

Don't people in the city get suspcious of people going through their houses in the middle of the night?

I mean wtf?

:P

• 9 months later...
As far as I can remember he gave no warning and shot them in the back.

In America, it doesn't matter. If someone has illegally entered a private residence, the owner/legal resident has the right to use deadly force to remove them.

Also in the farmer's defense:

There is no way he could have known if those guys were armed or not. He was outnumbered, so if the robbers had been armed (not stated) and he had given a warning, the situation could have turned into a standoff that would most likely end with the death of the farmer, as two on one in close range is not an ideal situation.

Anyway, I think it's an incentive for criminals to think twice before burglarizing a home, like in the US, it's a bit comforting (to honest folk) to see stickers like "There is nothing in this home that you can steal that is worth your life."

Hauk

What's funny/ironic about that is that American law, which allows the use of deadly force against trespassers, is based off of British Common Law that says essentially the same thing: If someone breaks into your house at night, you can kill them. This is because the assumption in British Common Law is that a person is most likely to be home and the most likely reason for someone to break into your home after dark is to kill you. By contrast, during daylight, in British Common Law, it is illegal to kill someone during the day time as it assumes that a person is least likely to be at home during the day, ergo the person is most likely there to steal. Of course, if they threaten your life, IIRC, you can still use deadly force.

Deadly force of trespassers anywhere on your property whether or not the person is armed or poses a threat. You've got to love American Courts.

Apparently this case was tried after a man bludgeoned a man in a wheel chair after trespassing on his property. He argued he was too disabled to pose a threat. The defendant claimed that US law says Disabled people are completely equal under the law and it therefore applied. He won...

Archived