Black Hawk Down

Blackfeather

It may appeal to a younger audience/player because they have seen it in the film, seeing the guys fighting and thinking 'i want to be them' and so get as close as they can by impersonating them, but personally i'm not bothered.

its because its closer to our generation then anything we can see from WWII or Vietnam. the guys who are in blackhawk down are teenagers who grew up in the same world we did, not only that but they're in a pretty hopeless situation and its shown that they manage to hold it roughly together. (when in fact it was a bloody shambles)

the film is non stop action and i remember when i came out the cinema after watching it thinking, 'holy ######, not one minute of that film didn't have shooting in it'

if they made a modern film about say, the attack on Fallujah by american forces, or something akin to that, then we'd have alot more people impersonating that instead of BHD.

plus you've got to remember that the american armed forces have been iconised since WWII in movies and tv so it rubs off.

should be more british army films about tbph.

pete

its because its closer to our generation then anything we can see from WWII or Vietnam. the guys who are in blackhawk down are teenagers who grew up in the same world we did, not only that but they're in a pretty hopeless situation and its shown that they manage to hold it roughly together. (when in fact it was a bloody shambles)

the film is non stop action and i remember when i came out the cinema after watching it thinking, 'holy ######, not one minute of that film didn't have shooting in it'

if they made a modern film about say, the attack on Fallujah by american forces, or something akin to that, then we'd have alot more people impersonating that instead of BHD.

plus you've got to remember that the american armed forces have been iconised since WWII in movies and tv so it rubs off.

should be more british army films about tbph.

pete

Is it the mission itself or the charaters or just because they made a movie?

I agree there should be more movies on the british ARMY. Maybe modern movie on Bravo 20, The malaysia, Anglo-boar war, Zulu Wars.

(this will get me flamed but)

I wanna be bravo 2 zero, be sas, got out on foot when ive been offered jeeps, P**s myself because i think some goat herder guys seen me when later he says he hasnt, total fu** up the mission and get my men killed or captured and i wanna be andy mcnab

They were SAS but they could have done it better, one of the adults at my cdt detachment was goin on a bout brazo 2 zero a few weeks ago after id finished readin the book, really they did make some mistakes

I wanna be bravo 2 zero, be sas, got out on foot when ive been offered jeeps, P**s myself because i think some goat herder guys seen me when later he says he hasnt, total fu** up the mission and get my men killed or captured and i wanna be andy mcnab

I'm not gonna flame you man but does anyone else see a similarity between Bravo two-zero and Black Hawk Down?

The character Grimes of course never really existed.  I can't remember his real name but they changed it to Grimes because the actually soldier is now doing time for child molestation and they didn't want to glorify him.

Thats almost up there with U571 for Hollywood story twisting :P

I don't know why it is.

It's probably because in a lot of people's minds, the guys in BHD were pretty kickass. Especially the Delta guys. It's like why I want to buy a CIRAS. It's because the thing is everywhere in Ghost Recon. (And there are G36 mag pouches made for MOLLE.)

But I like to create amalgamations of what I percieve as cool. Take something and turn it into something new and unique and my own, but still harking back to all the myriad inspirations.

I like looking like a mess on the battlefield. I doubt that anyone could survive in a warzone for any length of time (i.e. more than a day) wearing all the ###### that airsoft geardos get to be "just right". I doubt soldiers wear their full kitlist all the time.

That and I don't really care about looking like real soldiers, or replicating real war. I just like playing with my toy guns :D

Archived