gears

COUNCILSAMSH

As Praetor said everything matters and one part should have maximum contact to another part. Have a look at my post towards the bottom of this link for a low down on shimming, gear positioning etc:

http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/forums/i...topic=74947&hl=

You will need to sign up if you aren't already on their forums. However, if you ask nicely I will copy and paste the info here if you need me to.

p.s. The Pinion gear is mounted on the motor armature(shaft) which contacts the Bevel gear.

they all matter, bad things happen to those who dont shim properly

Oh yeah. I know all about those proper shims.

Thanks for the info everyone, I was mostly wondering about the alignment of the teetth on the bevel and pinion gear. But I think they don't matter as they are the same all the way around.

As Praetor said everything matters and one part should have maximum contact to another part. Have a look at my post towards the bottom of this link for a low down on shimming, gear positioning etc:

http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/forums/i...topic=74947&hl=

You will need to sign up if you aren't already on their forums. However, if you ask nicely I will copy and paste the info here if you need me to.

p.s. The Pinion gear is mounted on the motor armature(shaft) which contacts the Bevel gear.

I know this aint my topic, but I would love it if you could copy paste it..

Thanks.

Scavenger

Here you go:

For your info here's what I do to shim my gearbox.

First thing I want is to have maximum contact between the Sector gear teeth and the piston teeth which means you will need a minimum of shims on the left side of the gear box.

The first gear I fit is the Spur gear which I mount to the left side with the thinnest shim I can get away with so that there is no contact with the gear box. I then stack up shims on the opposite end of the shaft, place the right side of the gear box on and screw down, and test for free movement and the least amount of sideways movement I can achieve. This may take a couple of goes using a small screwdriver to press on the axle from the outside making sure you have enough shims and that the bearing/bushings aren't moving themselves causing slack and movement later.

Then I fit the Sector gear mounting it as close to the Spur, for ideal mesh, and the centre line of the piston without it binding against the Spur. Again I follow the above procedure, stacking shims, screwing down the gear box and pressing on either side of the axle to detect any slop and spinning for free movement.

Lastly I fit the Bevel gear, again as close to the Spur for maximum tooth contact, and do the same procedure as above to make sure it is slick and with minimal sideways movement.

You also need to take account of how you Pinion gear aligns with the bevel. Take the left side gear case with gears in place. Screw the pistol grip to this, insert the motor and screw on base plate. It is probably best to have the adjustment screw un-wound then wind it in until you have full teeth contact between the pinion and bevel. You have to make sure that the axle remains vertical and is not pushed off centre. If it does push it off centre when in full contact it means that there are too few shims below the bevel causing binding between the two gears.

It might be easier to do the bevel/pinion test with the right side of the gear case once you have perfected your shimming because it will be easier to observe.

The final test is to run the gearbox, out of the gun, but with gearbox fully assembled. Before firing screw the motor adjustment all the way in, under firm finger pressure, then unwind it 3/4 to 1 full turn. Ideally this will have given you perfect pinion/bevel contact without binding.

Fire it a few times, semi/full whatever, to loosen the system up and highlight any shimming mistakes.

Remove the motor and pistol grip and do a quick side to side check on the axles of the gears to check for movement. If you do find some movement remember to re-shim the gears as much as possible to the left side.

Finally, you have to check that the bevel/pinion contact has been perfected. Remove the right side of the gearbox, re-attach the pistol grip, insert motor and screw on the motor base plate.

Now if our shimming and motor adjustment is correct then the pinion should be in full contact with the bevel. If it is not then an appropriate adjustment of the bevel shims is required to allow for re-adjustment of the motor screw to perfect this.

p.s. remember when taking the gearbox numerous times make sure you don't lose shims etc as they can get stuck to the opposite side of the gearbox etc.

Archived