Tokyo Marui M1911-A1

TOKYO MARUI M1911-A1

Full Review

tm1911.JPG

Part I

Fit, Finish, and Feel

The TM 1911 is a beautiful pistol. When I first saw it in the shop, I was immediately struck by how realistic it looked. Don't let the photos fool you, the finish is very nice and the only thing that belies the plastic constriction is the somewhat shiny plastic out barrel. (Sadly, the flash on my camera accentuates the differences between plastic and metal much more so than is normally visible).

tm1911-3.JPG

TM has been heavily advertising their new "non-parting line" design, and one was left wondering what exactly they meant by this. Well, taking the TM 1911 from the box immediately makes this clear... TM has developed a new manufacturing process that makes the seam lines of the plastic molds almost invisible to the naked eye. Only the closest scrutiny of the 1911's frame will reveal any trace of seam lines.

Also, like TM's M14 series, this pistol is presented in a fabric lined box - providing an attractive appearance and eliminating the initial toy-ish impression often associated with pulling your new airsoft gun from a cheap piece of molded styrofoam.

tm1911-24.JPG

The finish is very nice (much better than it appears in the photos) and is a very passable imitation of a parkerized finish. The slide markings are deeply imprinted, and even have a slight edge around them, making them slightly raised around the edges of the markings. This makes the trademarks very visible (good luck getting this one through US customs without some putty :waggle: ).

tm1911a1-18.JPG

tm1911a1-19.JPG

It's clear that TM is recognizing the old adage that you only get once chance to make a first impression - and, despite the very affordable price of only 12,300 Yen (about $110 or 70 GBP), the first impression of the 1911-A1 is that of a serious replica, not just a cheap toy.

Almost all the metal control parts have nice, fine, checking... Including the trigger, safety, slide release, mag release, recoil spring plunger, and mainspring housing. Not enough to feel rough or to abrade skin or clothing, but enough to provide a decent non-slip texture.

The parts all fit tightly, with little or no rattle, but move smoothly. Unlike the KSC 1911, the parts have enough resistance that they snap into place with a positive feel. The trigger is one of the lightest GBB triggers I've felt, rivaling even some of the high-end WA 1911s I've used. Admittedly, the trigger does have a bit more creep than I'm used to with a 1911, but it is light and breaks cleanly at around 3 pounds of pressure (estimated).

The hammer rolls back smoothly, clicking into both half and full-cock positions with faint, but audible, clicks. The safety snaps on and off - again, faintly, but with enough of tactile and audible notice that you'll recognize if you've changed the position.

And, although, the parts are tightly fit, no tools are necessary for field stripping this pistol.

tm1911-16.JPG

tm1911-19.JPG

The included bushing wrench is a nice touch, but is unnecessary for actual field-stripping or maintenance. However, it does have an innovative magazine loading implement built in, to assist in reloading BBs. The usefulness of this implement is questionable, with the proliferation of new thumb-action speed-loaders that have hit the market in the past couple years, but it's a thoughtful and nifty feature none-the-less.

I've heard there were some early complaints about the low weight of the TM 1911 prototypes shown at various shows earlier this year. Either TM has addressed this issue, or the people complaining have never handled a real 1911. The TM 1911, with the magazine inserted, is very similar in feel to that of my real-steel Springfield Armory USGI 1911 (with an unloaded magazine). While not as heavy as some metal pistols, the TM 1911 is no light-weight either... You'll know it's there if you're carrying it on your hip all day.

Additionally, the TM1911 is well balanced, with the weight nicely distributed - making it feel heavier than its actual weight of 798g. And, unlike some of TM's other recent pistols - such as the Sig 226 that feels very front/top heavy when the magazine is removed - the TM1911 doesn't rely solely on the magazine to provide the bulk of weight. A large block of metal is affixed inside the frame, and there are metal weights hidden beneath the grip panels (like those found on WA guns).

Function

Recoil is impressive. Sharp and snappy, like the TM Sig 226. This is nice from the perspective of being a nice, strong recoil to feel, but it loses points (in my mind) as it is hardly similar to the real recoil of a 1911.

The magazine holds 26 rounds, and can rapid fire through a full magazine, and about half of a second magazine, before the gas gives out. Not overly impressive, but about as good as can be expected from the limited reservoir space available in a single-stack 1911 magazine. If intending to use this as a skirmish pistol, one or two spare mags might be in order.

Accuracy is good. In fact, I'd wager to say the pistol is capable of better accuracy than I am. Unfortunately, this is due the traditional military style sights. These low-profile, dark parkerized, plain, blade-style sights are difficult to pick up in the best of conditions - are are almost impossible use in low light or against dark backgrounds. However, TM is hardly to blame for this shortcoming, as they faithfully, and accurately, duplicated the real-steel sights found on USGI 1911s. And, I must admit, when I started shooting USGI 1911s some 20-odd years ago, the sights were easier for me to pick up and use... Perhaps my eyes are getting old, or maybe I've just been spoiled by the wide variety of quality after-market sights that now adorn many pistols - either way, the old USGI military sights just aren't to my liking anymore. I found I was able to be much more accurate with the 3-dot sights of the J-Armory 1911.

tm1911a1-23.JPG

(25 rounds, rapid fire, at @ 4 meters)

Edited by (V)atrix
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part II

Comparison: TM vs. WA's Magna-Tech

Although I don't have a WA pistol handy, I do have a new J-Armory Mil-Spec 1911 that uses the WA design and Magna-Tech gas system...

(Unless otherwise indicated, all pictures are arranged so as to have the TM1911 at the top of the photo)

Appearance:

I thought the J-Armory Mil-Spec was a fairly nicely finished pistol, with a decently accurate replication of a parkerized finish... But TM's new 1911 really does make the J-Armory Mil-Spec look like a toy. Compared side-by-side the plasticy finish of the J-Armory Mil-Spec really becomes apparent:

tm1911a1-1.JPG

The finish of the TM1911 is much closer to that of a real parkerized finish, and has no plasticy sheen (other than the previously mentioned outer barrel).

Both pistols have nicely detailed trademarks, but the lighter color of the TM finish combined with slightly more prominently etched trades of the TM1911, make the TM trades more visible from a distance:

tm1911a1-8.JPG

Weight and Feel:

Despite having heard some complaints about the low weight of the TM1911, it and the J-Armory Mil-Spec are very near in weight, with the TM1911 having a slight edge (by about 70g).

Both pistols are well balanced and have the weight nicely distributed through-out, so as to avoid relying on any one part (such as the magazine) to provide the bulk of the weight.

Both pistols are comfortable in the hand, but the TM1911 does use slightly slimmer grip panels. For some people slim grips are undesirable - but, personally, I find the TM1911 better fits my hand.

Function:

Both pistols seem to be accurate and consistent performers. I was able to shoot a much tighter grouping with the J-Armory Mil-Spec, than with the TM1911. However, I attribute this more to the difference in sights than in the inherent accuracy of either pistol:

tm1911a1-25.JPG

As I said earlier in the review, I honestly think the TM1911 is capable of better accuracy than I can get out of the military style sights, and I have no doubt it can rival the J-Armory Mil-Spec for actual accuracy. But, sadly, my "shooting range" (stair well) is poorly lit and not at all conducive to TM's military-style sights.

Also, I've not had any chance to test either gun in an outdoors environment, so the long-range accuracy of both guns is still in question.

The controls of the J-Armory Mil-Spec are more positive, loudly clicking in to position as you manipulate them, and they have very little "slop" - meaning little or no "creep" or "slack" as you move the control features or pull the trigger. However, the TM1911 has smooth controls that do positively engage, but with much less audible indication. Also, despite having more trigger "creep" than the J-Armory Mil-Spec, the TM1911 has a lighter, smoother trigger pull.

While the TM1911 has a nice, strong recoil, it tends to be very sharp and snappy... Not at all like a real 1911's recoil (which is more of a slow and steady shove). I feel the new J-Armory 1911 is much more realistic in this regard. This is surprising since TM uses a rubber recoil buffer and rear-lipped recoil-spring plunger design, very similar to that of the J-Armory Mil-Spec. Why such a similar design has such a different feel leaves me thinking this may be related to the different gas systems being used.

Features:

The TM1911 has an adjustable hop-up, where-as the J-Armory Mil-Spec has a fixed hop-up that seems specifically dialed in for .25g BBs and 134a gas.

tm1911a1-10.JPG

Adjustable hop-ups can be both a plus and minus. They do allow a person to adjust the point of impact for different BB weights or gas types, but they also can drift off a bit, and not stay set. This is most often an issue with AEGs, and I've not heard any complaint about this happening with current TM GBBs, but the possibility still does exist and is something to consider when choosing between a fixed or adjustable hop-up.

Both guns have a metal frame insert to provide strength and weight, but the TM1911 actually has a larger, beefier insert. This is probably the main reason for the weight difference.

tm1911a1-14.JPG

The J-Armory uses the WA Magna-Tech gas system, while TM relied on their own tried-and-true gas system. And no, parts and magazines are not interchangeable:

tm1911a1-5.JPG

The TM1911 has a nicely crowned inner barrel, unlike the J-Armory Mil-Spec, and the outer barrel of the TM1911 is much closer to the actual thickness of most non-target 1911 barrels (TM on right):

tm1911a1-16.JPG

However, as mentioned earlier, the 3-dot sights of the J-Armory Mil-Spec are much easier to find/use than the military style sights of the TM1911.

Conclusion

Some people have been wondering about compatibility with after-market parts for the the TM Hi-Capa. Not owning a Hi-Capa I can't say. Also, since the TM1911 has only been out for about 24 hours (as of this writing) I doubt many people have yet had the chance to check compatibility with Hi-Capa parts. However, next time I visit one of the local shops I will ask if anyone has tried swapping parts yet, and what kind of success (or failures) they've had in doing so.

So, in closing, I must say - TM has done a wondeful job on their new 1911, and have (once again) lived up to their reputation. The TM 1911 is an affordable and very nice 1911, and should serve well as either a field gun or the base for the (inevitable) slew of full-metal kits that will surely follow.

And with that, I'll leave you with a little real vs. replica comparison:

Springfield Armory USGI 1911-A1:

1911.jpg

Tokyo Marui M1911-A1:

tm1911-12.JPG

Edited by (V)atrix

I must say that the TM 1911 looks remarkably good in these pictures.

I look forward to seeing one in the ABS.

Cheers.

PS Nice review and comparison, btw - Very even handed.

Edited by snowman
finally, I can experience the airsoft version of the "hammer strikes beavertail and cuts the skin between my thumb and pointing finger"  :P

JK

Ya know - you coulda' just said "hammer bite" :P

Oh, PS - only a wide, flaired grip safety is called a "beaver tail", the regular grip safety is called... Well, a grip safety ;)

Edited by (V)atrix
BTW, do either of these guns have tightbore barrels?

The latest WAs do (Including the Magna Techs) and it really helps the accuracy.

Cheers.

I've been told the J-Armory Mil-Specs have a 6.03mm tightbore. I don't know the bore diameter of the TM, but I haven't heard anything about it being any different than that of other TM GBBs (such as the Hi-Capa).

Do you have any fps figures as yet please?

Plus whats the recoil like compared to say, a KWA glock 19? Sorry if you have fired one, but theyre about the only gbb i can relate to.

No FPS figures... I don't have a chrono here and won't likely be able to chrono it until I get back the states in late August.

As for recoil... I really hate talking about recoil since I'm always comparing, in the back of my mind, to what real recoil is like. So even the most heavy recoiling GBBs I've shot still seem fairly weak by my standards.

Also, it's been a long time since I've shot a KWA Glock, and I really don't remember it well enough to compare. Plus, I've only ever fired a KWA with green gas, and I've only tried the TM1911 on 134a - so it'd be like comparing apples and oranges anyway.

But that's all irrelevant - the TM1911 has enough recoil to be felt, even on lowly 134a, and that's all that really matters.

and and and .. can you add fries to my order? (jks)

Yeah... will be nice to get one too. I have been waiting a while for this beastie, and it will be interesting to compare this with the other new TM releases, AND the WA Magnatech that someone around here (Auckland) has.

Btw.. You got yours from Japan? ...

Ya know - you coulda' just said "hammer bite"  :P

Oh, PS - only a wide, flaired grip safety is called a "beaver tail", the regular grip safety is called... Well, a grip safety  ;)

LOL

I need more exposure to gun culture.

Only 20 more years, and I'll be just like you Matrix!!!! :P