Extended M87 Shotgun W/ Ak-47 Inner Barrel!

bepo

After 8 hours (yeah, it took alot of tweaking!), my project is finally done. I kept the stock internals the same and instead added a 440mm AK-47 sized inner barrel. The stock barrel was a mere 255mm, so I had 185mm of inner barrel sticking out the front! :P Of course this would never do, so I was forced to fashion a custom outer barrel. Lucky for me, I had some spare pvc lying around that fit perfectly as a barrel. After measuring and cutting 18 inches with a table saw, enough to leave an inch of room for the inner barrel, I fitted it on to the body. As I suspected, it didn't fit at all with the pump because it was so thick. No problem tho, an easy fix. I measured the length that was in contact with the pump, and marked it so I didn't cut too far. I set up a band saw with a guide parallel with the blade about 3 mm away from it. This would give me a nice trim on the barrel so that it would fit nicely. I cit the pipe lengthwise three times to the mark and then sanded it down for a nice rounded edge (picture 3). On the stock outer barrel there was a small insert that kept the inner barrel from wobbling. I knocked it out with a hammer and glued it into a 1 cm thick piece of pvc pipe. After a good amount of sanding, the insert fit nicely into the gun (be sure to make it as round as possible because and deformities will curve the barrel a bit). With everything done, I fitted the gun back together to see how it looked. As with the stock barrel, the end was open. I didn't like the look of it so I fitted a 1.25" washer over it with epoxy (mine was a 1.5" washer ground down with a grinder because I didn't have 1.25"). I dremeled the hole a bit just to make sure it wasn't too small (picture 5). After a couple coats of flat black spray paint, I got my finished result! I dub it, the M87 SD.

IMG_0341.jpg

The finished product

IMG_0344.jpg

A comparison

IMG_0337.jpg

A look at it from the front. The endcap really gives it that "silenced" look!

EDIT: More pics! Now with a scope. It's the best Darn sniper I've ever seen :D

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

~Bepo

Lol.

I think you have a great gun.

What FPS is she shooting?  328?  Over?

CC

Haha chance :D

I tested it last night and it was able to crack a coke can, but not actualy goe through a side. So it's below 330 fps (I believe that's it). Unfortunatly, I don't have the tools to make custom metal internals, otherwise i'd do it in a heartbeat and put in an m120.

~Bepo

Of course - I forgot, it's not as easy to upgrade it because it's spring powered, not an AEG.

Surely the longer barrel increases the FPS though, because the compressed air has a longer distance to act over before it dissapates?

CC

Of course - I forgot, it's not as easy to upgrade it because it's spring powered, not an AEG. 

The UTG M87 is extremely difficult to upgrade. Actually, it redefines difficult. As soon as you get it open little parts fly all over and apparently it's like an extremely difficult jigsaw puzzle to get back (there was a topic about this on the minnesota airsoft forum). I wouldnt want you to go to all that trouble adding the barrel extension only to find that you destroyed it cutting it open. Apparently, it also becomes problematic after upgrading. Leave it stock, trust me.

Archived