New (HW) Tanaka USP Queries

Zip3400

Searching around the web I've yet to find much information about the new Tanaka USP (HW Version) I've read the brief review found on a retailer's website, but this does not have much actual information and is very possibly biased (they are a retailer, after all)

I found one thread here about it, comparing it to the KSC Mk.23. Not much actual information about the USP there, either. There was a post claiming the magazine leak problem has been fixed, but power is rather low.

I've always liked the USP even though I'm not a big HK fan, but am not fond of compact pistols (the KSC) and KJW is out of the question. For this reason the Tanaka is pretty much the only choice in my book.

Obviously I have a few questions, starting with the magazine. Can anyone else confirm Tanaka has fixed the problems with leaky magazines? Or the reports of low power? I'm assuming HFC134A was being used if this is the case, which brings me to my next question.

I'm reckless and would probably use Green in the pistol, throwing caution to the wind. I've seen a few people (I believe one here or at ASP) with a metal slide fitted to their Tanaka USP. I have also seen the Tanaka USP with metal slide installed at Tokyo Model Company (I belive it was) but have not seen it for sale anywhere else. Anyone have any idea where to source this slide, and who it's made by?

I would also be interested in any other changes (besides the magazines, if that proves to be true, and the HW slide) that Tanaka has made to this USP.

Any reports on recoil? I'm assuming it too would be weak with 134A, has anyone dared to run Green through theirs? I would be interested in overall performance as well.

Thanks!

1) for my Tanaka USP & P8 HW, i only use 134a gas since i treated them as a display items. also top gas will make the magazines leaking easily!! if u use 134a, the power is low!!

2)tokyo model's boss told me that there are two version of Tanaka USP!!

Hard to know the differences unless u have the old version and new version on your hands at the same time!!

3)The metal slide only supports old version! At my point of view, i think the metal slide is not looking good, although it is quite cheap!!! another major problem is even hard to find a plastic slide too!!!! ( suggest for display only and use 134a if u play!!)

4)So far, i have only seen P8 HW version, there are no more stock for USP in HK now!!

PS:I just came back from Hong Kong less than 1 week!!

The purpose of buying the Tanaka USP is converting it to USP Match!!

Tanaka P8 HW

Appearance--------------4/5 (since the marking is not 100% same as the real one!!)

Build Quality-------------5/5 (heavy enough)

Perforance---------------2/5 (can't use top gas only can use 134a)

Value for Money---------3/5 (expensive but only tanaka produces a full size one)

Overall Potential---------35 (hard to find aftermaket or orginial parts but it is a

display item if u don't mind)

Hope the above opinion can help the one who is using it!!

• 1 month later...

I dont think so as theyve now adopted that R-type valve system from WA (and also all my new style Tanaka p8hw mags leak).

I have now bought a kjw USP magazine and it fits betterr than the Tanaka mag in the P8hw and seems to hold green gas a bit better

Ridiculous, KJW parts work better than Tanakas? I hate you Tanaka, stick to revolvers, it becoming pretty clear that you just don't know how to build a decent autoloader.

That said, anyone have any news on that new USP from them mentioned in a recent news update? Would this presumably be the exact same as the new P8 HW simply branded with USP trades?

the p8 has a different safety also ;)

btw, my previous post was wrong. the kjw mag will NOT work in the tanaka p8, after testing it more thoroughly than firing one shot ive found it will just vent :/

That said, anyone have any news on that new USP from them mentioned in a recent news update? Would this presumably be the exact same as the new P8 HW simply branded with USP trades?

Looking at the images that were in the article, im pretty sure its a non firing model gun (no gas inlet valve at magazine base).

Archived