What size cells fit into a G&P Crane Stock?

ronburgundy__

The largest quality battery you can fit in the G&P Crane Stock is a 2000mah (8.4v up to 12v).

I would suggest getting the Prime Crane Stock instead; true, it's a little larger than the real thing, but you can fit up to a 12v 4300mah battery in that beast; and that makes it worth it in my book (or a sensible 9.6v 4300mah).

Be sure to get the version that comes with the stock tube, and don't get the version that comes with the Sanyo Ni-Mh batteries (they're crappy performing batteries).

Spot on TriChrome, for a G&P crane stock you're looking at 2000mah GP or 2000mah Intellect cells. However with a Prime you can use sub C cells so anything up to 4300mah Elite cells.

Be sure to get a Quality sub C like a GP, Intellect or Elite, at least 3300mah, the discharge rate will be far greater than you’d get from a 2000mah AF size cell, so you will notice the difference in ROF as well as capacity.

Ice

Fortunately I've been doing some research into exactly this as I'm in the market for a G&P Crane stock.

The cells you require are AF size and in particular 17x50mm, with the highest capacity that I have found being 2500mah.

http://www.eurobatteries.com/sitepages/des...d=1152&cat=NIMH

The lady who I was in correspondence with told me, and I quote:

i have looked into your enquiry and spoke to the technical advisor, i have been informed that the battery has a high current, for short periods such as 25amps

That's as good as it gets.

If you want to see the full thread that explains all then go here(you will need to sign up if not a member):

http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/forums/i...topic=77721&hl=

That's quite impessive Tommy, I had AF cells with 2700mah capacity, although they had a discharge rate of... wait for it... 10amps - Not so impressive, they were also 17x50.

http://www.overlander.co.uk/detail.asp?categoryid=64&ID=258

They'd probably last a while with a stock TM in a 9.6 configuration, but I bought them for a CAM15 - what a biga mistaka to makea.

Those ones you linked look like a good alternitive to 2000mah GP's which were the AF cell to get.

Ice

Ice,

I was thinking of just doing an 8.4v configuration with the above cells in my CA 1Joule gun, which currently uses a G&P 8.4v 3000mah SubC pack in a PEQ.

Obviously I want to maintain as much of the original performance as possible i.e. same rate of fire and longevity but I do realise with physically smaller cells comes less performance e.g worse discharge rate etc.

Now, I know this isn't at all scientific and would purely be off the top of your head, most likely, but would an 8.4v 17x50 AF pack have the same output performance, with obviously less duration than my original 3000mah SubC pack, or would you maybe recommend going for a 9.6v 17x50 AF set-up to try and maintain as much of the original rof performance.

I realise that voltage increase, on the whole, only increases 'rof' but would there be ANY benefit at all in longevity considering the change in physical cell size?

Get that?

What's your opinion on the matter?

p.s. As a side note how do you think the above cells stack up against the G&P 17x42mm 4/5th AF 2000mah cell that you mentioned?

Aye, I found this cell http://cheapbatterypacks.com/loosecells/cbp2500a.gif , which is probably the same cell that you found just rebranded. So wait. 17x50 is a A Cell, which is that 2500mah one. The GP 2000mah is a 4/5A Cell, so its shorter. Do you think it would matter? Would the GP be a better cell because its higher quality or something?

The cells you require are AF size and in particular 17x50mm, with the highest capacity that I have found being 2500mah.

http://www.eurobatteries.com/sitepages/des...d=1152&cat=NIMH

Those cells are repackaged (no-name brand).

These 2000mah cells:

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp?...pgid=loosecells

"GP 2000A" 4/5A size should have better performance than the 2500mah "A" size cells.

I found this information out because I emailed the guys at CheapBatteryPacks.com a couple weeks ago since I was looking for an A or AA size pack and they recommended those 4/5A 2000mah cells for a faster ROF on an Airsoft gun since they have a higher discharge rate than the 2500mah cells. These guys personally test all of their cells on diagnostic equipment which is why I trust what they say (plus I've bought around 5+ of the best quality cells for each gun I own from them).

Aye, I found this cell http://cheapbatterypacks.com/loosecells/cbp2500a.gif , which is probably the same cell that you found just rebranded.  So wait.  17x50 is a A Cell, which is that 2500mah one.  The GP 2000mah is a 4/5A Cell, so its shorter.  Do you think it would matter?  Would the GP be a better cell because its higher quality or something?

^^ see above.

Ice,

I was thinking of just doing an 8.4v configuration with the above cells in my CA 1Joule gun, which currently uses a G&P 8.4v 3000mah SubC pack in a PEQ.

Obviously I want to maintain as much of the original performance as possible i.e. same rate of fire and longevity but I do realise with physically smaller cells comes less performance e.g worse discharge rate etc.

Now, I know this isn't at all scientific and would purely be off the top of your head, most likely, but would an 8.4v 17x50 AF pack have the same output performance, with obviously less duration than my original 3000mah SubC pack, or would you maybe recommend going for a 9.6v 17x50 AF set-up to try and maintain as much of the original rof performance.

I realise that voltage increase, on the whole, only increases 'rof' but would there be ANY benefit at all in longevity considering the change in physical cell size?

Get that?

What's your opinion on the matter?

p.s. As a side note how do you think the above cells stack up against the G&P 17x42mm 4/5th AF 2000mah cell that you mentioned?

This is just off the top of my head because I don't know enough about the cells, or what cells the 3000mah's are. However I'd say you will notice a real laps in ROF, even at 1joule, and even with your frictionless bearing gearbox. (I can remember the specs)

I'm guessing you want to down the cells because you want to use a smaller PEQ box, one that isn't 3 miles high like the G&P, I know the feeling. However I would go up to 9.6 with AF cells. You will notice a slight increase, but it's either that, or suffer a decrease in 8.4 configuration.

As for the 2000mah GP over this 2500; well the GP is quoted at having a 30amp burst discharge rate, which is fantastic given it's size. The 2500mah is quoted at 25amp, even if this is true it's still outgunned by the GP as far as torque is concerned.

I think the bottom line is the 2500 will last longer, but the GP will give you a slightly higher, and more importantly more consistent ROF especially on longer bursts.

I use 2000mah GP cells in a steel bushing gearbox (although well shimmed, still offers a lot more friction than bearings) at an FPS that is way above forum limits and it powers it nicely, with a very healthy and consistent ROF, I doubt the 2500's would have the discharge rate to do this.

Just a bit of info, hope you make the right choice matey.

Ice

Ice,

So your pack will last a days skirmish? If so they win for me as well.

If not, bugger it, I'm going Li-po.

EDIT:

You guessed right the G&P peq is way to big and bits just keep falling off so I will go for a no fuss Crane stock.

Archived