Gun Cam aka LandWarrior

Viking

Hi,

I building a gun cam ( no recording facility ) like the Land Warrior system.

Here is how it will work.

1. Wireless color camera with a battery ( all tucked in a nice small box and a switch for On/Off)

2. Mount it on the gun to the front on the barrel

3. Wireless receiver .. also running on batteries ( another box that fits my mag pouch )

4. A small LCD screen that has clip on the back and connected to the Wireless receiver by a couple of wires

The camera can be detached from the gun and left anywhere on the field and it has about 300ft range. I can view everything from the camera on the LCD. The LCD is connected to the receiver via couple of wires and they will all be tucked in nicely. All you will see is the LCD and it can be clipped anywhere on the vest, BDUs.

It can also be used ( when mounted on the gun ) to look around corners without exposing me to active fire. I am trying the calibrate it so I can shoot accurately by looking at the LCD. Will be great for CQB and looking around cover.

What do you guys think Huh

Its almost done and will post some pics later. Its working fine and I am looking to mount it on the gun/barrel. Any ideas to mount on the barrel. It doesnot provide a clear view if I mount it on the RIS as the side of the gun will block the view on that side.

Any ideas .. comments .. suggestion welcome.

Thanks

Arvin ( # Viking )

This also posted at http://maasf.org/forums/index.php?topic=864.0

here is a pic of the actual Land Warrior system but my system will be very small and wireless compared to what is mounted on the Land Warrior system and also will have a clip-on LCD screen unlike the heads-up display.

post-22571-1154360842_thumb.jpg

post-22571-1154360853_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Try doing a search, this has had LONG threads dedicated to it multiple times :)

Here is my version up and running. used in a CQB game and it was fun. It didn't work well in some areas due to low light ( night game inside a factory ).

I have since replaced the zip ties with a mount on gas block. The only thing remaining is to mount the LCD on a helmet ( note sure if I want to ). Right now the LCD can be clipped to my vest or jacket.

Your comments are welcome...

Here are the pics:

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

Here are the parts list:

1. Wireless Color Camera with receiver ( can get one on ebay very cheap ) similar to this: http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item....id=187&catid=36

2. 2.5" LCD screen - from here http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item....id=512&catid=40

3. Mounted the camera & a 9V battery in a Radioshack project box

4. Used a mount from a old PEQ box to mount the cam box to a gas block tri rail on the gun

5. Mounted the video reciever and battery in another radioshack project box that fits my M16 mag pouch perfectly

6. used a Lipo battery to share power for video receiver and LCD screen and also mounted a switch on the box.

Also note that I added a piece of safety glass in front of the lens on the camera so the lens wont be damaged when hit by a BB.

Voila.. the system is ready.

I can provide more info if anyone need it....

Thanks for your comments.

I am debating whether to mount the LCD on a helmet or leave it like a clip on on my vest.

Arvin

Wow, I think that's the first time anyone's actually made one. Lots of talk, but they always saw something shiny and wandered off.  :P

Have a +1

i have one. dates back a few years. its mainly down to costs and avilability of the tech.

theres no way i was going to fork out a huge wad of cash for this kind of stuff, but with the little media players becoming socheap its actually affordable. back in the early days any sort of av input was pretty rare on the early devices.

one of my gun cams was hacked inside a marui an/peq which obviously made it easier to mount.

i have one. dates back a few years. its mainly down to costs and avilability of the tech.

theres no way i was going to fork out a huge wad of cash for this kind of stuff, but with the little media players becoming socheap its actually affordable. back in the early days any sort of av input was pretty rare on the early devices.

one of my gun cams was hacked inside a marui an/peq which obviously made it easier to mount.

Oh...

Let me revise my statement.

That's the first time I've seen someone make one.

Im also curious on the specs of the battery and how you hook it up to power both devices. Thanks for sharing this all with us.

I have soldered the power connector leads for the receiver and LCD together and then wire them through a switch to the battery. So when I press the switch battery powers a small LED ( power indicator) and then the combo of receiver & LCD.

Hope this helps ... Let me know if you need more info I can make a quick connection diagram.

If I had cash I would get the Eyetop Centra Glasses that clip the lcd viewer to the safety glasses... But I am fine with the current config.

In our last CQB game I pointed the gun and my team mate checked it out on the LCD to inform the rest of the team.. t'was great....

Thanks for all the encouraging comments....

Total Cost of project $80 excluding the batteries... as I had all the parts around... and it took about 4hrs to build the set.

For someone starting new I would say $150 excluding the batteries & RIS mount.

Hope this helps...

Arvin

THIS + THIS + THIS should do the job nicely once you stir in a bit of ingenuity.

Fit the camera and battery into the PEQ and bung a laser in it as well for aiming.

Chop up the goggles and use whatever parts you want.

Bung the receiver in a pouch and run a wire to the remains of the goggles.

All done.

The camera is wireless and runs off a PP3 which is attached using the wire you can see hanging down.

The receiver also runs off a battery which connects by a wire. The knob on the front of the receiver alters the frequency of the receiver and, apparently, allows you to tune the receiver to different cameras.

The receiver gives out a standard a/v signal and hooks up to the HUD using a phono plug.

Very neat. I've just trialed a much cruder wireless guncam. Your screen is perfect, just what I'm looking for. I'll have to get one! The camera I'm using is not wireless and I've had to connect it to a rather bulky wireless transmitter, but the camera is IR sensitive and can be used at night aswell, but not as neat as you set up.

Nice one!

very interesting, i wanna see it in action

whats the red button on the back of the camera unit for?

The red button is for switching the cam ON/Off. Since it runs on batteries I didn't want it to be on all the time and run out of battery when needed.. LOL....

Do you think you could draw a diagram Im confused by the button that turns on the Reciever too. Is the camera attached to the Reciever and battery too or is it wireless and run off its own battery? The pic looks like it could be either but maybe thats just another wire underneath it.

Stealthbomber is correct. The cam is wireless with everything i.e cam & battery inside the box. The receiver & LCD are connected by 1 single battery.

With this setup I can just quickly release the cam from gun and leave it at an important entrance to monitor OPFOR... from a a long distance away..

i play cqb mostly, and something like this would give me a great advantage. but i bet the guys at the field i play at would have a *badgeress* fit about blind firing even though it isn't. have you had anyone complain?

At my last CQB it was not considered blind firing as I can see and aim from LCD.. It was their first Guncam ..anyways...LOL. I didnt use it a lot to keep the game fair...

Hope that helps...

Archived