ICS M4 or TM flavour ?

Dark Star

Hi everyone, I have just joined the site and wanted to say hello O and by the way I am female *smiles* yes I do like airsoft and I have a TM P90 with an upgraded battery and a 100 spring installed . Any way I am 31 years young *smiles* but I just love airsoft . I am thinking of getting a new gun and atm I am looking at the ICS M4 .I have read the review on the site , thank you for that ,it was very informative !! .However ,having only used a TM gun I am a little unsure about getting this ICS ?.I have only found one retailer in the uk who sales then , I am sure you all know who they are ,thus at a price tag of £230 I want to make the right choice . I am used to the p90 but it is a little small and I want to get a bigger gun ,an assault rifle .

Now I have read about the different fps rates of the different guns and the ICS seems to have a little more kick ? however is it a weapon you can use for sniping with ? can you fit it with a scope ? and is it worth the extra few pounds ? over the TM model . I would appreciate some of the long term member who have more experience with the different makes giving me some input here ....Dark Star ..xo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its worth the £230 that you get charged, yes you can use it to 'snipe' with just get a M100/1 Joule spring installed into it, and get yourself a scope, I myself am working on an M4 Sniper style, however over here on the Isle of Man FPS limits are not quite so strict and we can have high FPS guns, with in reason of course, I intend on getting the TM Pro Knights Silencer and the M16 Carry Handle Scope because i think it just looks good, but you might have a different take on this. Alternatively since your going more for the sniper style maybe an full size M16 rifle is in order, since it has a long barrell perfect for tighter groupings at range. The ICS have about a 20 FPS advantage over TM, with ICS just order a new tappet plate and get Zero One to install it for you, to save your warranty in case it does go wrong by some chance. Also another consideration for the sniper look would be to get some M16 Vietnam short mags as they have a lower profile and just have that certain sniper look about them.

Hope this helps a bit, and welcome to Arnies.

Adam

My ICS M4 came yesterday and I LOVE IT!!! It is very accurate at long ranges. I can hit my friend with 1 shot at 40m with 1 shot when it took me 15 with my pistol. Adjusting the hop up is very easy despite what you read in the review here. (at least my gun was easy.) Finding out how to fit the batterie in right is probobly the hardest task but after that its a breeze to install. The M4 is VERY heavy and it looks great. It has a very dark grey on the reciver which I think looks better than all black. Ive never shot the M16 but I would recomend a full stck version for woodland, and if your doing CQB get the retractible stock M4. I would Highly recommend the m4 though and its very easy to add a scope or sight. Just buy a AR-15 waever mount (10$) and the site you want and some rings, or you can take the carry handle off and you have a weaver rail there, but its going to be uncomfortible because the scope is going to be very low. The magazines are quite long and they may not be ideal for lying down but with I bipod or viet nam mags you'll be fine.

Hi ,my thanks to both you guys for your advise !! . I have decided to go for the ICS M4 and I will get the tappet plate installed and thanks for that piece of advice

Adam , it is greatly appreciated and hopefully will prevent any problems when I get it . I am going to order it next week ,pay day *smiles* . Just one more thing ? If I am getting the battery from Zero one ,along with the gun and tappet plate am I likely to get any reduced or discount if I ask ?? ....Dark Star

only get retractible if u plan on playing mostly or all CQB. (the batteries last longer because they're bigger in full stock, so you need that in a gun for woodland. But if you plan on playing CQB then get retractible because it will give you a little bit higher ROF. IE: 8.4v (solid stock), and a 9.6v (retractible.) The higher the volts, the faster the ROF is.

Hi Adam , I find that kind of strange that the full stock version takes a battery that does not have as much juice in it . If I am saying this right ? which I could well not be *smiles* the smaller voltage battery is the Full stock version ? for some reason I would have thought that the full stock version would have being able to take a bigger more powerful battery than the retractible stock version . So the retractible version has a higher voltage battery ?? .....Dark Star

*applauds everyone with a single paragrapph post.*

*please do not try eating your AEG it is not digestible*

If you have the extra cash for the ICS then get that instead of a Marui. No doubt you'll be raping it afterwards aswell. ;)

The ICS M4 is built very solidly and will last you years if looked after.

thought the battery goes into the fore grip? much easier there in the retractable stock...

as for mods on the gun, you can easily add stuff to it, the ICS M4 has a rail up top with an easily removable iron sight... save you fiddling with a mount too... nice solid gun.

the solid has a smaller volts but it will last muchlonger because of the maH. The retractible stock battery goes in the foregrip. The forgrip is smaller than the full stock so you need to "mini" batterie packs linked together to hook up on either side of the barrel on the inside of the foregrip. The higher the voltage the faster your gun will drain, but the higher the voltage the higher the rate of fire goes. All in all if you get the solid stock and an 8.4v 1800maH batterie you'll be shooting all day before it dies. I went for the solid stock because I heard loading the batterie in the retractible is a bit of a pain.

Good choice on the ICS gun though.....much better than a Mauri for the price. Did you get the gun with olympic arms trademarks??...just wondering because its worth the 10$ because they look awesome.

~Simon

**I dont know how to spell batterie.** <--is that right?

Batteries, regardless of its size, have different output voltages and capacities. Most common output voltage for airsoft batteries are 8.4v and 9.6v. And as pointed out earlier, the higher this output voltage, the higher the ROF. So if you get a 9.6v large battery in the stock, you'll have the same ROF as a 9.6v small battery in the foregrip.

The size of the battery mostly determines its capacity (in terms of mah) instead of its output voltage. The higher the capacity, the more shots you can get out of one full charge. The normal large battery is 8.4v 1800 mah, and that could easily last you 3000 shots. A normal small battery is 8.4v 600 mah, and that'd last you about only 1000 shots.

For the M4, people usually get nun-chuck batteries (or whatever it's called), which is basically two small batteries tied together (sort of), so you get over 1000 (or ever 2000) mah capacity. But since you already have a P90, you may want to just stick with small batteris that can go into both guns.

Sniping is kind of funny with 1j power limit in airsoft. ;) But you can certainly make your rifle look like a sniper rifle with a scope and a silencer. Even though the M4 has a flat top receiver with weaver rails, you still need a scoupe mount of some sort because the front iron sight is going to block your scope view if you just put the scope on the rail without any high mount (unless you remove the front iron sight, or change that to a flip up sight like the one on the TM M4S system). While you are at it, you may as well get a flip up rear sight in case you want to take off the scope or the scope gets all fogged up. That's what I'm doing to my M4 (a CA, not ICS though. :) )

OK first off , Bill I will not be raping my gun *smiles* I will treat it with the loving care it deserves , well that is if it lives up to it's reputation *smiles* .urban-ninja thank you for pointing that out , it is something I have noticed .

Simon thank you for explaining that to me , it makes sense now that you have taken the time ti point it out .

Shao14 I understand your point but I try to make the best of what I can get , so I will make do with airsoft *smiles*.However Shao the 9.6 volt battery for my P90 is shaped so that it fits in my P90 , so I don't think it will fit into the M4 , I hope it does but I doubt is , as it is kind is U shaped .Once again thanks to you all for you helpful posts ....Dark Star

I don't think the customized U-shaped P90 battery will fit the M4. As in any thread discussing Armalites, I can't help but bring up the question: have you considered CA M15 series? :D It doesn't have the bells and whistles as the ICS one does, but it's got better quality foregrip and full stock. ;)

Quote from Arnie who reviewed the CAM15A4 Tac Carbine: "I don't think I really want to go out onto the field with a different rifle ever again." ;)

If its a U-Shape then it may very well fit into your M4, but if its a J-shape battery, which i believe custom P90 ones are, then no, it will not fit into it. Sniping with a M100/1 Joule is more about the mindset then actually then having a bigger range. Luckily over here on the island its perfectly fine to have BA/Semi sniper weapons up at an FPS beginning with 5, so its the mind set, as well as being able to engage enemies at longer ranges.

Edit: Shao14, I also have an M15, but it seems Dark Star has made her mind up, and so we should just be trying to give advice on questions we're being asked.

Adam

I also have an ICS that started as the Full Stock(Prime Crane now). With alittle work a Large(SubC)9.6v can fit the full stock. You can find batteries of different configurations in a SubC that will also fit

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10187.26

10.8v

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10524.27

The possibility of having a pack made from GP 4/5 SubC 2200mah cells in a 9.6v would allow plenty of room.

In the end with you brits having the 1 Joule limit, a strong 8.4 will serve you very well.

Hi Adam , I have considered other guns , but I just keep hearing good reports about the ics M4 . I am open to other guns ? And I will read the review that Arnie done on the CAM15 and Shoa15 thank you also for taking the time to point that out , the review from Arnie .Must go and have a read at it ....thanks all ...Dark Star

I don't think the customized U-shaped P90 battery will fit the M4.  As in any thread discussing Armalites, I can't help but bring up the question: have you considered CA M15 series? :D  It doesn't have the bells and whistles as the ICS one does, but it's got better quality foregrip and full stock. ;)

"Bells and whistles"?

I'd hardly call a gearbox which makes the gun easier to strip and also makes the receiver stronger, or a forward-assist which puts an end to jams, or a barrel which means you'll never need to worry about a particular M203 or foregrip fitting properly bells and whistles.

Let's not bugger about. The ICS M4 is a fundamentally superior gun to the CA one. Sorry if you're a CA fan but that's just the way it is.

The CA gun is good. And it's got a foregrip which is better quality. And it's black. If those things are important to you then great but it's unfair to dismiss all the extra work that ICS put into the design of their M4 as "bells and whistles".

At least, with both their MP5 and M4, they try to actually THINK about the design and come up with something unique rather than simply copying what has gone before. After all, if that continues to happen then technology stagnates and nothing ever improves.

Just to let you know , I have ordered the ICS M4 with a full stock and a 100 spring up grade . I think you could spend years debating the different pros and cons of the different guns , so I just made the decision to go for the ICS M4 , once again thanks for all your helpful posts .I appreciated you all making the effort .I want to get a scope for it eventually but not until next pay day *smiles* .But that is another topic altogther .....Dark Star ..

First, welcome to Arnie's, hope you enjoy your stay, breakfast served from 8-10am. ;) Second, woo hoo! A female airsofter! We knew you existed! :D Third, any chance you'd be interested in Arnie-Geddon 2005: We Haven't Though Of A Tag-Line Yet? Only I think Miss_Fire and Femme Fatale would appreciate another female along.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, are you packing any sidearms yet?

Edit ~ spedz, I think she said she's going to get a replacement tappet plate.

yeh i reckon she deserves a warm welcome from our forum members! :D

hope you like the randomness we all have here :P

and i'd like to introduce out 'uncle rhino' he's our forum security guard! mean mean looking... with a springer desert eagle! :P lol

Just to let you know , I have ordered the ICS M4 with a full stock and a 100 spring up grade . I think you could spend years debating the different pros and cons of the different guns , so I just made the decision to go for the ICS M4 , once again thanks for all your helpful posts .I appreciated you all making the effort .I want to get a scope for it eventually but not until next pay day *smiles* .But that is another topic altogther .....Dark Star ..

Great! Only if more people are as decisive as you. :)

picks urban-ninja up and throws him far...

Ha hah! I'm back (finally fixed the bloody computer!)

Welcome to Arnies. As in reply to your question i'd go for an ICS M4 as apparantly they've sorted out the barrel wobble. That's what i've heard anyway.

Yep, from what I hear the ICS M4 series is bloody excellent :)

There are a bunch of guys who use them every week at my skirmish site, and from what I've seen so far, I'm impressed, although they sounds VERY odd compared to the normal gearbox designs. They sound less sound somehow, to me at least, but I've no doubt that (with the exception of the stop tappet plate) they're excellent guns, both internally and externally (apart from the shiny furniture ;)).

Welcome to Arnie's, by the way, and it's always especially nice to see another female player in the sport - a sadly rare sight at the moment :(

Archived