Why respond?

directorcass

I have only been on these airsoft forums for a few months. I am also new to airsoft in general. What I don't understand is why do people respond to someone asking a specific question when they dont know the answer? I saw someone ask a question about a gun (which I have) and someone else answered with a reply that basically said he didn't have this gun and did not know the answer but attempted to answer based on what he has heard. I answered the question because I had the gun in question and I knew the answer based on actual experience! I'm ranting I know, but it irks me when someone answers a question when they have no knowledge of the subject at hand. I don't post a reply to a question if I don't know the answer, if I do, my post will say so. O.K. I'm done now, thanks. :Zzz:

This was also not on Arnies but another forum.

Fair point, dude. Most annoying thnig in the world is when an answer starts with "I've heard." I've had a lot of arguments with people when I've asked about a gun and been told it's ######. Conversation then goes:

Sledge: Oh, so you've got one of these. What's the problem?

Muppet: No. But my mate says that those things always suck.

Sledge: But you don't have one.

Muppet: No.

Sledge: Then shut up. I want feedback from people who know this gun.

Muppet: But my mate says... etc

There should be a law against it.

I tend to only comment on things of which I have first hand knowledge or experience...

I guess those who think that commenting on everything are trying to compensate for something, or they might be trying to feel important.. happens quite often in bureaucracies, which also explains why half of the laws out there don't make any sense at all ;)

I spend half my time on here arguing against peoples preconceptions.

I think a lot of people simply repeat things they've heard because they think it makes them look clever.

Also there's a "pack mentality" thing going on, like a herd of sheep. People get a warm fuzzy feeling from being part of a group with the same POV. If one person says that CA guns are cr@p, for example, then it's easy for a lot of other people to say "A mate had a CA gun and that was cr@p too" in order to feel like they are siding with somebody they admire or respect on the forums.

I've seen people agree with something Antagon says in one thread and directly contradict themselves by having the opposite opinion in another thread. Go figure!

Must admit, I'm guilty of passing on received wisdom as well. If I have heard a bunch of people saying they have the same problem, or whatever, I will post to let the person know that other people ARE having this problem. I try to make sure that I let them know I am just relaying hearsay though. I never try to pass off received wisdom as 1st hand knowledge.

TBH, that's probably why I come across as a smart-*albatross* at times. If I KNOW I'm right and people are talking b0ll0cks I find it quite annoying.

Must admit, I'm guilty of passing on received wisdom as well. If I have heard a bunch of people saying they have the same problem, or whatever, I will post to let the person know that other people ARE having this problem. I try to make sure that I let them know I am just relaying hearsay though. I never try to pass off received wisdom as 1st hand knowledge.

Ditto.

As long as you say its second-hand knowledge, all's fair I reckon.

But there it can be backed up with some evidence: the FAMAS was intended to run on 7.2v batteries. When run on a higher voltage, the rate of fire will increase. That's not opinion, it's simply true. The problem comes when you get "Don't get that gun, it's rubbish," from someone who's never touched one of them.

I personally believe that the answer to most things in life is through maintaining a balance. A rudimentary belief, I agree, but it seems to work.

As a result I feel that it's important that a balance is struck in such matters. Yes, it is frustrating for individuals to post random off topic replies, yes the people who merely recite what they've heard can be wrong, but ultimately I believe it's an acceptable sacrifice in the name of fostering a healthy community where people new to the sport / hobby as much as the next person.

It would be nice for many no doubt if people remained religiously on topic and discuss NOTHING which isn't of relevance in a thread, but not everyone is the same (thank God), and so deviation is always going to be inherent anywhere in which an individual is encouraged to respond on a subject he feels enthusiastically about.

You could no doubt attempt to have Moderators clamp down on such behaviour, but then you simply risk the consequent creation of an environment where a few individuals who inexplicably view their views as being more valid (perhaps as a result of inherent insecurities, which often appears to be the source). And I for one would have no interest in participating in such an environment if it were to ever become reality here or anywhere else. (cue random flaming telling me to FO, etc...) :rolleyes:

Many who have posted here already may perhaps disagree with this and perhaps even dislike what I've said to the extent that they rubbish my expression of personal opinions...Ah well. I'll survive. I'd much rather say what I'm thinking, than just agree with the mass of popular opinion... ;)

*Edited for the unforgivable misspelling of a word. A cardinal sin, in my profession...^_^

Well that's fair enough, but the guy did say he was talking about another forum, not Arnie's. I think it's fairly decent here (but not without some necessary evils :P).

But it *is* damn annoying now I think about it. On another forum I used to use, one guy would trawl through EVERY technical question and attempt to answer it with little or no knowledge about the topic in hand, and the majority of the time his answers were completely useless. It used to infuriate me, and one time I posted a huge rant/flame after he did it one too many times. I deleted the rant pretty soon after, but still, that got my back up.

As for the 'mate' thing. You don't know my friend's names, so it's easier to use 'mate' in this case. A friend of mine has x gun. His gun breaks after he does something to it, and so I now know not to this thing myself, and will tell others not to. It doesn't diminish the value of the information at hand though, does it? This was what annoyed me about the Airsoft Dynamics rebuttal a while back, as if not providing a full name and address with each example of a sales fubar implied it was a work of fiction on my part. Like I have nothing better to do than make up stories of poor service involving imaginary friends in my spare time...

To be honest, I agree with most of Marlowe's points. Would have used less words meself :) but I feel generally the same way.

I see these forums as a large group of people coming together, brought here due to a common interest, expressing their personalities and views through their posts. Not everyone will express themselves in a way that you would, or are happy with. Thats cool (within moderation). Part of everyone being an individual.

I'm not condoning it, have meself seen posts put up purely to get a 1(or more) in the post column. But I would rather be in that semi-chaotic enviroment than a more strict, sterile one, where people were afraid to post or were flamed for being 'irrelevant' or passing on hearsay.

If the situation gets worse and loads of this 'post-spam' does start appearing, then it will be time to take steps.

Just my thoughts mind... :P

I would say marlowe has it spot on, the fact this is a forum invites all and sundry in, obviously thats a good and bad thing, but personally having accounts on all 3 major uk forums, i feel most at home here.

Flaming`s still occur but usually in moderation, I don`t think I`ve read a post on any part of this forum that was completely out of hand and even if it approached that, it`s usually been edited by the member without the intervention of a mod. (I am going somewhere with this, be patient)

I don`t think anyones stopped to consider that new members may well feel more able to post (and maybe stray off-topic through lack of experience) beacause the veterans and mods on here are quite a patient, decent bunch therefore making them feel much more welcome, I know i did.

But truly, unfounded and inexperienced advice is the bane of every technically minded forum on the net, it`s the risk you run HAVING that kind of meeting ground the trick is getting info you want from people who DO know what they are talking about.

I think i managed to stay somewhere on topic in there, I`m somewhere in the state marked need sleep :nosleep: apologies if my post went for a burton`s along the way :P

Archived