Which FSBE AAV? Decisions Decisions!

staticzero

I'm planning on buying a FSBE AAV, and was hoping someone might have some input as to which is the best one. The two I am aware of and am looking at are the Guarder and G&P versions:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...FSBES_cat_Vests

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...CKAIM_cat_Vests

The Guarder is available in woodland or khaki (or black) and costs around $84US.

The G&P is available in woodland or tri-desert and costs between $55US and $67US.

My concerns are:

1. Which has better build quality?

2. Which is better functionally?

3. I'm 5'10" 180lbs (1.778m, 81.65kg). Which size would fit best, M or L?

4. Woodland or Khaki/Desert?

I'll likely make the color decision based on the fields I play at locally, of course (I want desert, but think woodland makes more sense for my area. I see marines wearing either in combat, even with the opposite BDU's, so I could go either way). Still, I'll entertain arguments and peer pressure on this point.

5. Anything I forgot? Clue me in.

Oh, and why not mention your preference for mag pouches and the like as well? I'm going to have to cover this thing with pouches after all. I have an idea of the layout I'll use, but its worth knowing who's product is best. Thanks!

http://www.airsoftohio.com/reviews/showpro...7&cat=10&page=1

theres a review for the G&P one. But i still love my guarder one since the color have the point blank look (shoulder quick release straps are actually black). Its worth the money to me, but if ur on a budget u might think otherwise

I actually wrote the review on the G&P FSBE. While I really like this vest it does have short comings. The main issue is the stitching that G&P used to attach the MOLLE webbing. Even after what I consider to be light use, I've already noticed a couple of places where the webbing is coming loose. It would be an easy fix, but I just expect more out of my gear, even replica stuff.

At the same time I got my G&P FSBE, a team mate got the Guarder version. This guy plays every weekend and his Guarder FSBE (MOD II Armor, or what ever it's called) has held up much better than my G&P FSBE.

Over all for the $70 that this vest cost me I am very please, but count on this vest needing some repairs. The body of the vest is excellent, it's just that how G&P attaches the webbing that sucks.

Additionally, I've heard from just about every one that owns a copy of the FSBE that the wish they would have gotten one size larger than they did. I can attest to that. I'm a big guy, but nothing unusual. XL stuff almost always fits me. The XL G&P FSBE that I got, just fits me. If I could have gotten a XXL version I would have.

It's coming up on a year since I got the FSBE and it's still doing the job and looking good. I've attached the latest photo I could find.

Let me know if you've got any specific questions.

post-161-1106681697_thumb.jpg

I would recommend the Guarder FSBE over the G&P, because, as said the Guarder has superior build quality, and also the colours of the G&P vest are slightly off in my opinion.

In regards to sizing for the Guarder FSBE, I would go for the Large version, as the Medium only justs fits me height wise, and I'm about 5' 8/9. The chest sizes are (M)37"~40"(L)40"~44"(XL)40"~48" so you should be able to work it out from that.

GET THE GAURDER! And I also suggest you get the L, I ordered a L and It was to big for me, I am 16, at 5'9 and 135 pounds. The G*Ps webbing comes loose and I personaly wouldnt want to deal with that. Also I suggest you get OD because it goes great with both Woodland and Desert Camo. I had a Kacki one but I didnt like the color, it was more green that I thought, and the Molle webbing was a wierd color. I sent it back for both reasons, being to big and color, and I ordered a OD in Medium from WGCshop. I have yet to recive it, it got shipped out 2 days ago. Also I don't suggest you get Molle unless you have a extra 100 bucks for pouches, because its not the vest that costs, its the pouches. I spent 130 on 4 SpecOps M4 Single Mag Pouchs(Holds 2 Each), 1 TT SMall Utiltiy pouch, HSGI Double pistol mag pouch, and a HSGI Uiltiy pouch. Not a lot but expensive.

I thought the patern matched pretty good.  Here's a pic against my old faded BDU's.

well i the vest color is perfect to me but its the shoulder quick release straps. The point blank version are black, so guarders version are black as well keeping up with the details

also heres my setup:

Front

Rear

isnt XL the largest size available for the FSBEs?

I'm not too sure on the size issue. The largest I've seen for sale is an XL, however, the G&P website does in fact list a XXL FSBE.

http://www.gp-web.com/en/productspop.php?pid=220

As for where to find pouches, if you live in the US, they are really really common anymore. Presonally, I have gotten Specialty Defense Systems (SDS), Blackhawk (BHI), Tactical Tailor (TT), Battlelabs, Maxpedition, and Tactical Assault Gear (TAG) pouches.

For SDS pouches I've gotten them right from SDS:

http://secure.specialtydefense.com/cgi-bin/sds/index.html

My BHI pouches have mainly come from a friends store, Airsoft Arms:

www.airsoftarms.com

My TT stuff is again right from the maker:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/

My Battlelab stuff came from Diamond Back Tactical:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/diamondback/

My Maxpedition stuff came from Oso Grande Knife and Tool:

http://www.osograndeknives.com

My TAG stuff came from Lightfighter:

http://www.lightfighter.com

I have to say Lightfighter is a great place to browse. Once you find the pouch that you like, do a Yahoo! search to find the best price.

I really prefer real tac gear over replica stuff, but if you're into replica stuff, WGC can set you up. Additionally, eBay also has a lot of MOLLE stuff, but some of it is generic knock offs and not the real thing.

In closing, I have to say that as much as I've liked my G&P FSBE, I've moved on to a BHI S.T.R.I.K.E. Commando Recon Chest Rig and a BHI S.T.R.I.K.E. Back Plate Carrier. It is a lot better made than the G&P FSBE and is the corret size for me. I'm glad that I purchased and still have a replica FSBE, but the BHI set up I have now is a lot more versatile.

Based on your replies, and other independent research I've conducted, it sounds like the Guarder version is the way to go. It also helps that AEX stocks them, so I'll be able to try one on. Still, I'm undecided as far as color. I'm still leaning towards woodland, especially since AEX doesn't stock the tan version as of the last time I was there. It also helps that the woodland looks good on top of tri-desert (not so much the other way around). I'm still considering OD as well.

The one hang up I have is, I wont be using this for pure woodland games. I prefer a lighter greenside style load for them. I'll mostly be using this for MOUT/CQB in a blackside type role. The area where these games are held does still benefit from the woodland camo to a degree, but so too does it benefit from desert. Though I do usually end up on the Desert/Tan team (note od/woodland tac gear is OK to wear on the tan/desert team in these games, so long as your BDUs are tan/desert, so that isn't a problem).

Of course now that I think about it, having modular vest of the same color allows you to share pouches between them...

I'm so conflicted! :blink:

I could use some more pictures if you have them!

Where do you guys buy the pouches? Just interested in some.

Cheers

Boris

Well, following a recommendation from The Other Place (ahem... sorry, Arnie!), I contacted IronClad (http://www.ironclad-surplus.co.uk/contenti...entID~3414.aspx). They do the CombatKit MAS (Their name for MOLLE) pouches, which are damned cheap; you can find the CK MAS range at http://www.combatkit.net/products/mas/mas_page1.html; they appear to be good quality, judging from the photos, and at the prices given to me, good value for money (example: http://www.combatkit.net/products/mas/mas_mag/default.html at 18.95 Euro - dead cheaper than some makes I could mention!). They also come in most forms of current western camo you can shake a stick at :)

I intend to write a review of these things as soon as I've had a chance to use 'em "in anger" at a playing site. Since I ordered them yesterday, I don't exect to have them for a couple of weeks (14 days delivery time quoted).

Hope this helps :)

Based on your replies, and other independent research I've conducted, it sounds like the Guarder version is the way to go.

Good choice, I wish I would have made that one.

I'm still leaning towards woodland, especially since AEX doesn't stock the tan version as of the last time I was there. It also helps that the woodland looks good on top of tri-desert (not so much the other way around). I'm still considering OD as well.

Personally I like the woodland on tri-color look, OD is a close second. There are obviously no deserts in Ohio, but our home field is a construction and yard waste recycling facility. There are huge piles of concrete, asphalt, topsoil, clay, leaf humus, and bark mulch everywhere. These piles are constantly being added to and what not, so there is only a little vegetation. The combination of tri-color and woodland works great a my field.

The one hang up I have is, I wont be using this for pure woodland games. I prefer a lighter greenside style load for them. I'll mostly be using this for MOUT/CQB in a blackside type role.

I also used the tri-color/woodland set up at http://tsunamiairsoft.com/albums/Events/opirene02.mov. It took place at a shut down US Air Force Station. There were 50 acres and 30 buildings. We thought that the tri-color BDU's w/ woodland or OD gear would be a little advantageous, but in the end, everyone stuck out no mater what they were wearing.

The area where these games are held does still benefit from the woodland camo to a degree, but so too does it benefit from desert.

Sounds like tri-color BDU's and woodland gear is the way to go, see what I said about my home field.

Of course now that I think about it, having modular vest of the same color allows you to share pouches between them...

I couldn't agree with this comment more. All of the MOLLE gear that I have owned has either been in OD or woodland. I've used the G&P FSBE, a SDS FLC, and now a BHI STRIKE Recon Commando Chest Rig / BHI STRIKE Back Plate Carrier combo. I've never had to buy new color pouches, I just shift the ones that I own between the different carriers.

I could use some more pictures if you have them!

Here are the few I could find.

Lame picture, I'm facing the camera with the G&P FSBE, the guy next to me has on the Guarder version.

Briefing1.jpg

Another lame pic, I'm in the back row, 3rd from the right. The Guarder is 2nd from the right.

TAC%20OPI.jpg

The first day I used the G&P FSBE (posing for the wife ;)).

nextmayor%202.jpg

More posing for the wife.

GGOWX-NextmayorAAVBlur.jpg

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

I couldn't agree with this comment more.  All of the MOLLE gear that I have owned has either been in OD or woodland.  I've used the G&P FSBE, a SDS FLC, and now a BHI STRIKE Recon Commando Chest Rig / BHI STRIKE Back Plate Carrier combo.  I've never had to buy new color pouches, I just shift the ones that I own between the different carriers.

Hey nextmayor,

Im thinking about a Black Hawk product for myself soon and I am pondering between the BHI STRIKE Plate Carrier Harness or the BHI STRIKE Recon Commando Chest Harness.

Could you tell me:

A. Which is the more comfortable of the two?

B. Which is the most versatile and sturdy?

c. Basically, anything to do would these two vests would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Boris

I know this wasn't directed at me but...

Anyway, having had experience of the BH CRH I would say, there are much better things out there. It's fairly comfortable (although the shoulder straps can rub against your neck), but if you are going to go down the real gear line, I would have to recommend something else. I ditched my CRH as soon as I got my Guarder FSBE, as quite frankly, it was better.

I would recommend buying a SOTech Hellcat/Callahan, or a HSGI Wasatch/Weesatch (depending on how big you are ;) ) or maybe something from the PPM product line. Plus with the Hellcat/Callahan/Weesatch/Wasatch you get the capability to carry mags before you have even put any pouches on it.

Can't help much on the comparison because I only have the BHI STRIKE Commando Recon Chest Harness and the BHI STRIKE Back Plate Carrier. In the end this is pretty much just like the plate carrier, but it gives me a lot more versatility. I can use this set up like a Tactical Tailor MAV or a SOTECH Hellcat, I can use it like a small version of the SDS RACK, or I can add the Back Plate Carrier to be similar to a FSBE setup (just saying that I'll have front and back MOLLE panels and that you put this combo on the same way as the FSBE).

This set up will give me a base LBE that I can use on the hottest or coldest days as well as being expandable to longer length events. I was looking for versatility and this combo has it. I find it to be comfortable using either the shoulder straps supplied with the Commando Recon Chest Harness or the straps on the Back Plate Carrier. I will say the the Chest Harness feels more secure when using the shoulder straps, but I haven't had any issues when using the Back Plate Carrier either. The MOLLE real estate is a little limited on the Chest Harness, but I have more than enough room for what I usually carry (8 mags, radio, quick access utility pouch, zipper utility pouch) but that fills up the entire Chest Harness. Some times at events, I'll loose the zipper pouch so I have room for my team patch and a name tape.

The Back Plate Carrier is just the back half of the full plate carrier (obviously). All you do is unhook the shoulder and waist straps and plug in the Back Plate Carrier. This carrier allows me to carry a fairly complete first aid kit, 100 oz. hydration system, 8 buddy mags, and 2 spare buddy smoke bombs / grenades. While not having the full plate carrier, if it is just as comfortable as the Back Plate Carrier it would be a nice set up. I opted for the Chest Harness / Back Plate Carrier combo for versatility.

All I can say about this setup is that I'm really impressed. It is well made, very sturdy, and very comfortable. It obviously takes any MOLLE compatible pouches, but has a neat feature that also allows the use of ALICE pouches, if that's your thing. I'd have no issues recommending the Chest Harness, but just be aware that there is limited MOLLE space on it, but the same goes with the plate carrier.

nextmayor,

Your pictures aren't loading for me..

My photo host is having some issues (or I've exceeded my bandwidth). Either way, just right click on the red "X", select properties, copy and paste the address, and it will take you to the source location for the file.

It's fairly comfortable (although the shoulder straps can rub against your neck),

No issues with the shoulder straps for me. Just to be sure I took some advice and zip-tied the shoulder straps together. For more info on that, check out the bottom of this Military Moron's Page. I find the Chest Harness to be the most comfortable of any of the LBE that I have owned (BHI Crossdraw EOD Vest, MilTec SAAV, BHI Omega 1 Vest, Wyvern Chest Rig, Web-Tex Chest Rig, and the G&P FSBE).

I ditched my CRH as soon as I got my Guarder FSBE, as quite frankly, it was better.

I was just the opposite. While I love my G&P FSBE, I did not like the heat build up or the loss of flexibility. I will continue to use my FSBE, but my Chest Harness / Back Plate Carrier combo is now my preference. I will say again that I wish I would have gotten the Guarder FSBE (MOD II Armor) instead of the G&P FSBE.

I would recommend buying a SOTech Hellcat/Callahan, or a HSGI Wasatch/Weesatch (depending on how big you are ;) ) or maybe something from the PPM product line. Plus with the Hellcat/Callahan/Weesatch/Wasatch you get the capability to carry mags before you have even put any pouches on it.

All solid options, but what is PPM? I've never heard of that, do you have a link?

Archived