Portuguese Law

madcow

Starting the 21st of August 2006, all owners of airsoft guns in Portugal and those coming to Portugal to play must:

- be enrolled in a Portuguese Airsoft Federation;

- have the gun entirely or partially painted in fluorescent red or yellow (the law doesn't say "how much" is partially, so we're painting the flash hider).

- keep the muzzle energy below 1.3J (that's 374 FPS with 0.20g BB).

HTH,

Ricardo

Starting the 21st of August 2006, all owners of airsoft guns in Portugal and those coming to Portugal to play must:

- be enrolled in a Portuguese Airsoft Federation; (Probably what will happen here is a licensing scheme, same as basically)

- have the gun entirely or partially painted in fluorescent red or yellow (the law doesn't say "how much" is partially, so we're painting the flash hider).

( What we didnt want and is not likely to happen)

- keep the muzzle energy below 1.3J (that's 374 FPS with 0.20g BB).  (Already law here)

HTH,

Ricardo

I forgot to mention the Law states that the painting must be made so the gun cannot be mistaken by a real one (which is very subjective IMHO).

So... we cannot paint the gun inside (although some guys, that had not read the Law, asked if they could do that). :D

Ricardo

This law applies to all guns, whether one bought it before it was passed or after. I have painted my M4 and !$!%&!"&!#!$! G&G M14 (which I'll own until Monday because I'll return it to the shop, since it's FUBARed).

Ricardo

It's not the best law but is a necessary one and not the worst it could be.

It's hard to paint a new gun especially when you are a Ak man like my self it is just not natural but it's not a big part of the gun and even I can survive with it.

The limits and the federation is just routine.

We don't have the custom "Ak47 bank robbery take them all out" scenario in Portugal, and if you walk to a bar with a painted gun withe some nasty intentions is just as a fellow Portuguese airsofter said you will probably receive a nice lead welcome from a sawed-shotgun :)

Where I am from crime is not a major concern and it doesn't happen at gun point.

off-topic:

We did had a bank robbery about 3 years ago (the first and only in the region), made by two luso-americans, they made their gateway to the next town about 2 km away where they just parked the car in front of their house, my favorite criminals the DUMB ONES, :D the police made quite a show and they were arrested 2 hours later, sincerely where are going to hide in a island :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Ok guys, it's official, new gun law in Portugal starting 4th June:

Quoting the text law:

ag) «Fire arm Reproduction for sports similar to real guns classes A, B, B1, C e D, undeleted painted red or yellow fluorescents collors when hold in the hands very visible and with 5 cm starting the barrel (flash Hider) if a small gun (GBB or small machine gun like MP7 or MP5K) and full painted on grip, and 10 cm starting form the barrel (Flash Hider), in long guns (like AEG's and Snipers rifles), justo to avoid beeing misconfused with real guns.

Maximum 1,3 J for lower or equal calibers 6 mm compact projectils and 13 J for other calibers and gelatin projectils (paintball);"

Also, foreign players don't need to follow the law... just inform the federation about your visit and they inform the police.

LOLOLOLOL

In my country i'm a second class citizen!

So, 4th June will be like this:

aeg-pintada.jpg

beretta.jpg

If we don't do this, if we're caught, fine from 600 to 6000€, guns arrested and i visit to a court of law.

Only in Portugal.

STUNTMAN

Damn that sucks.

Its bad enough in the UK having a few two tones floating around on sites as they do tend to ruin the realism but everyone having to do that to their guns :o

It must be a real pain for people with CQBRs and MP5s too.

Well, fake silencers, stocks and barrel extensions will probably be the fastest selling items in stores, if you know what I mean... I already got a PBS-1 for my AK and I'll remove the paint I currently have on the flash-hider during the weekend.

Ricardo

• 3 weeks later...
Why oh why more EU countries come up with utterly STUPID regulations?! Soon, only France, Poland, Finland, Scandinavian and Baltic countries will remain airsoft-friendly...

Well, It's a f****king stupid law, wich I will not follow, not entirelly, anyway. At my own, and mine alone, risk. Politicians are as stupid as you can get, no use in bother with them. As for the police forces, the ones who really established these new changes to the revised law, well, without doubt cops are needed, but that doesn't make'em less dumb...

I'm a bit ###### off with this cause I own, among others, 2 G3A3 with RS parts, one bakelite, other wooden butstocks... Hell no I' painting that!

The countries you mentioned Mike_West, have reputation of being quite straitforward, and open minded... Look at France, for instance! Last year or so they had those massive riots in Paris and other cities. That's a complicated situation wich could lead to some "freedom repression", and yet, airsoft is still legal, and you can play free of concerns.

Europe, my friends, is taking the wrong way...

Archived