Break top revolver?

1000_mile_stick

Randomly, has anyone experimented with making a break-open frame revolver? OR are there any companies that would make one?

I just love them, and it seems like the only thing that hasn't been done yet, I mean with swing-out cylinders and SAA types being the norm now.

I guess you could use a S&W break top L-frame and a Tanaka Pegasus cylinder, retrofit a firing pin & airsoft barrel... and... there you have it. It just wouldn't break-top to load the way you're hoping, just the gas.

actually... with a knowledge of mechanics, a hinge & latch set and a dremel, you could do it with the KWC, HFC, Marushin or TM revolvers, I bet. Easily....

Yeah I thought about that, well, retro-fitting an existing revolver. But I think my mechanical skills may just be a little too basic...

Also the hinge wouldn't be too painful to fit, but how about the frame lock/release...

Hmmm... but nice idea about the S&W... I may have to look into it. :D

Yeah I thought about that, well, retro-fitting an existing revolver. But I think my mechanical skills may just be a little too basic...

Also the hinge wouldn't be too painful to fit, but how about the frame lock/release...

Hmmm... but nice idea about the S&W... I may have to look into it.  :D

you might be able to do it with a Webley, too... make a righteous British infantry side arm.

But, the lock/clasp/latch on the top of the revolver... just head to your local hardware shop or just search online. Seems like a fun project.

Yep, I've always been a fan of the old Empire revolvers.

Another issue would be rigging up an ejector system, only if using a marushin revolver...probably impossible though...

I really fancy an MP-412 (a sexy Russian .357), I can't seem to find much info on them though, don't even know if they've gone into full scale production.

:P

I've never heard of S&A making break-tops though, I can only seem to find swing out L-frames when I search. Could you help me out with a model number or something?

Also, would a Tanaka N-frame cylinder fit in an L-frame body?

1sw-DB-32450.jpg

this is the only example I could find, it's the revolver from the new Resident Evil game. It's an older design. I can't think of any modern examples.

Ohhhhhhh that one. Old school ;)

I don't think I could afford one of them, they're the old turn of the century models. I think collectors would hunt me down if I butchered one of them;)

I have seen, non-firing replicas though. I wonder how much it would take to get those working...

Ohhhhhhh that one. Old school ;)

I don't think I could afford one of them, they're the old turn of the century models. I think collectors would hunt me down if I butchered one of them;)

I have seen, non-firing replicas though. I wonder how much it would take to get those working...

yeah, a blank firing replica or the likes of that would work, as long as the barrel is hollow. It seems like a cool idea, but, if you know any more contemporary models that aren't as garish looking as that one, I'd say, use those. Or just get an HFC 6" revolver and slap a hinge & latch on it, just to see if you can make it work.

Very true, it's nice, but a little dated.

Still, I spose of I could get one of them firing, and working reliably, it would be worth altering the appearance.

Put a shroud around the barrel, change it's shape, different grips, some better sights. Lovely.

The tricky part would be the hop-up... Oh buggery.

But I think as soon as I get home to NZ, I'll see about chopping up a perfectly good HFC/KWC, just to see what happens :D

this is the only example I could find, it's the revolver from the new Resident Evil game.  It's an older design.  I can't think of any modern examples.

Close, but I think the 'Broken Butterfly' is a fictional (like most all the handguns in RE4) .45 magnum break-action revolver with a lasergrip. It is extremely sexy though, I'd hope to see an airsoft version, although I haven't been able to place the release mechanism on the game model.

Exactly, I've heard alot of people going on about Webley's or Enfields, it seems someone must release one sometime, especially with all the gun makers going through this WW2 craze.

Has anyone seen Trigun? I'm waiting for Tanaka *hint hint* to make a version of that revolver. There are conversion kits, but they're a little bit ######.

Close, but I think the 'Broken Butterfly' is a fictional (like most all the handguns in RE4) .45 magnum break-action revolver with a lasergrip. It is extremely sexy though, I'd hope to see an airsoft version, although I haven't been able to place the release mechanism on the game model.

It looks identical, except for the laser & the fact that's a .38 and the butterfly's a .45 magnum.... all the guns in that game are based on real guns, but some are modified a tad. IE: Red 9, Killer 7, Blacktail, Handgun and the rifles are all real guns, almost untouched by the developers.

And indy used a Webley in the third movie, I know, but I think in the first one he used a S&W and a 1911.

Has anyone seen Trigun? I'm waiting for Tanaka *hint hint* to make a version of that revolver. There are conversion kits, but they're a little bit ######.

An airsoft of Vash's Mateba-styled Long Colt would be extremely unique, there is a very nice model version of it. http://www.poseidon.co.jp/2F/vash_a/vash_1.html

It looks identical, except for the laser & the fact that's a .38 and the butterfly's a .45 magnum.... all the guns in that game are based on real guns, but some are modified a tad.  IE: Red 9, Killer 7, Blacktail, Handgun and the rifles are all real guns, almost untouched by the developers.

If you compare, the pins in the frame are pretty close, but the Broken Butterfly has different hammer, and I think it uses something similar to a Schofield release mechanism, there are also those notches on the part of the frame that keeps the cartridges from falling out the back of the cylinder (not sure what this part is called).

Here's what I managed to identify:

Handgun = USP inspired 9mm double-action

Punisher = FN Five-seveN inspired 9mm

Blacktail = Glock inspired 9mm

Everything else I've come across seems to be a deadringer for a real-world firearm.

An airsoft of Vash's Mateba-styled Long Colt would be extremely unique, there is a very nice model version of it. http://www.poseidon.co.jp/2F/vash_a/vash_1.html

Ah yes, the elusive resin kit. I've never seen a photo of it completed before, but damn it looks sexy... In a platonic way of course...

Anyway, how can Tanaka not make something as nice as that, I'm sure it would be snapped up.

Besides, being a Japanese manufacturer, shouldn't it be making manga/anime type guns and things anyway, even if they're only on sale withen Japan?

Makes you think...

If you compare, the pins in the frame are pretty close, but the Broken Butterfly has different hammer, and I think it uses something similar to a Schofield release mechanism, there are also those notches on the part of the frame that keeps the cartridges from falling out the back of the cylinder (not sure what this part is called).

Here's what I managed to identify:

Handgun = USP inspired 9mm double-action

Punisher = FN Five-seveN inspired 9mm

Blacktail = Glock inspired 9mm

Everything else I've come across seems to be a deadringer for a real-world firearm.

ahem... I stand by the Handgun being a KP85 related firearm with "Kendo Shop Grips," interesting thing... if you examine the handgun in game you'll notice it has the same grips as the M92fs from Zero, REmake and Nemisis... pretty odd, if you ask me, since Leon is SS and has never had anything to do with S.T.A.R.S.

Also, I never thought of the Punisher as an FN, it does look an awful lot like it, but the grip looks a bit like a USP....

Also, the Blacktail is a deadringer for the HFC Blackhawk: P_master199.jpg

wierd, huh?

This RE has opened up a whole new world of RE related guns I can buy... M712's, Blackhawks, 1911's... it's just so awsome!

ahem... I stand by the Handgun being a KP85 related firearm with "Kendo Shop Grips," interesting thing... if you examine the handgun in game you'll notice it has the same grips as the M92fs from Zero, REmake and Nemisis... pretty odd, if you ask me, since Leon is SS and has never had anything to do with S.T.A.R.S.

Also, I never thought of the Punisher as an FN, it does look an awful lot like it, but the grip looks a bit like a USP....

Also, the Blacktail is a deadringer for the HFC Blackhawk: P_master199.jpg

wierd, huh?

This RE has opened up a whole new world of RE related guns I can buy... M712's, Blackhawks, 1911's... it's just so awsome!

That's really funky, that handgun does share some features with the Ruger P series.

USP similarities:

-shape of the slide, boxy look

-trigger guard

-shape of hammer

-recoil rails

-serrations in slide

-grip straps

-double-action only

Ruger P similarities:

-height of hammer

-magazine catch (hard to make out, but closer to a Ruger P than the USP)

-fluting on slide

-retracted dustcover

-port cut-away comes over similar to Ruger P

-slide catch (?), very unique, looks closer to the Ruger P though

-grip plates(?)

There doesn't actually seem to be a safety of any sort on the 'Handgun', there is also either an extractor on both sides, or none at all; it's hard to make out without being able to comtrol the camera. I am beginning to believe that this gun would be a mechanical nightmare to reproduce.

The Punisher is very close to the Five-seveN, save for the fact that it's a '9mm' in RE4 the controls are exactly the same, the hammer is completely enclosed, it has full polymer grips, the extraction port is same, the whole shape of the gun looks like an exageratted Five-seveN

The 'Blacktail' looks exactly like that Dark Hawk, save for a few difference in the texture. There is also no trademark Glock trigger safety on either. The Dark Hawk is a fictional weapon as well though isn't it?

sorry, I'm not following what you mean by this....

The metal strips that hold the bullets for the Mauser C-96 are called strip clips, is this what you ask of?

Also, the M712 is a select-fire varient of the C-96 with a removable magazine, the standard model C-96 was semi-automatic only, and had a fixed magazine. Loading was done by either using the appropriate clip strips, or single cartridges.

I think what he means is that he would like to see an airsoft version that uses the strip clips, and I'd be guessing reloadable casings that would fit into said clip strip. Loading 6 mm BB's into a clip strip seems pretty unfeasible.

wasn't the Mauser from MGS3 a stripper-clip loading gun as well? I think that one was a Chinese knock-off .45 tho...

It was a Chinese Type 17, chambered for .45 ACP.

Archived