L96-ish Stock

Bldr.dh

I've always been a fan of the L96, but I couldn't justify spending 3-400 on a rifle, as I'm a bit of an airsoft n00b, so I figured, I'll make something that looks like it, even if it's not an exact replica. This was all a bit of an experiment -- my first time REALLY working with wood. Anyways, it's still a work in progress. My base is an upgraded UTG m324 with a Tightbore and... well, you probably know of the upgrade I'm talking about (not sure if stating the mod would fall under the forum rules). You might ask why the hell I'd spend so much time on such a mediocre rifle -- to tell the truth, I can't see much reason behind it beyond the fact that I absolutely love the L96.

I didn't get any pictures of a lot of the wood work, which is kind of disappointing, but here's what I have at the moment. Next up: filling in gaps, making a magazine latch, finding a way to add an adjustable (spacers) buttstock, making everthing more-or-less seamless, and painting. I'll update as I complete different bits.

Now, without further adieu:

picture003xd5.th.jpg

picture002ec8.th.jpg

picture005ny4.th.jpg

Yeah def get some wood filler. My other suggestion should be taken with a grain of salt as it requires some more effort but will definetely sure up the gun. Remember its a suggestion and suggestions dont necessarily have to be taken and used :) My suggestion to you is to take some time with some fiberglass and resin and put a nice couple of layers on it. Sand it down again to make it smooth and even. Then spray paint the fiberglass. This will revent weaker area's such as the trigger guard from breaking as well as making sure the wood doesnt split under use. Like i said it takes alot of time. I love what you've got going here ^_^

+1 your way :)

Heres one that I made back in 1st year college, fitted on an airgun. Its wood too, and I have another one half-made as an AICS (started a month before Tanaka released theirs, I've had my share of self butt-kicking), but I just done and bought the Maruzen clone instead. As you can see, I just opted for a fixed butt plate on this one. Good luck on your washer/spacer design though.

1731522521221l.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll have to look into using some fiberglass for a little added strength... It didn't really occur to me that fiberglass was an option, but now that I think about it, it shouldn't be *too* hard. Perhaps a little practice is in order, though. Hopefully it'll help to minimize the seams a bit as well.

In response to Casey_Cole, it's in fact not splitting. I had to cut it length-wise in order to get inside and hollow everything out with a chisel (too bad I don't have a CNC machine, eh?). I Liquid-Nailed it back together yesterday, but it must have shifted a tiny bit before it dried.

I just bought some wood filler today and have spread some on. I'll put on another layer tomorrow, and then I should be about ready for sanding.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll have to look into using some fiberglass for a little added strength... It didn't really occur to me that fiberglass was an option, but now that I think about it, it shouldn't be *too* hard. Perhaps a little practice is in order, though. Hopefully it'll help to minimize the seams a bit as well.

In response to Casey_Cole, it's in fact not splitting. I had to cut it length-wise in order to get inside and hollow everything out with a chisel (too bad I don't have a CNC machine, eh?). I Liquid-Nailed it back together yesterday, but it must have shifted a tiny bit before it dried.

I just bought some wood filler today and have spread some on. I'll put on another layer tomorrow, and then I should be about ready for sanding.

adding fiberglass to strengthen may also minimize warping, IMHO. can't recognize the wood ur using so really can't tell but safer is better, no :P

am also a fan of the L96 and AI rifles in general. anticipating the final product ;)

great work!!! :D

I took some more pictures with the mechanism set in. I still need to add a bit of filler to get rid of some cracks, but now it's just cosmetic. Everything fits pretty well. After two more days of work (mostly spent waiting for the filler to dry), it should be ready for some fiberglass and painting. I'm surprised it's coming together as quickly as it is. Not too long ago, it seemed like there wouldn't be any chance of finishing it. It may be a while yet, as T-giving break will be ending soon. Gotta be studious to prepare for college, eh? Anywho, enough blabber, here are the pics:

picture007ya6.th.jpg picture006gi7.th.jpg picture009hh8.th.jpg

Actually, I was going to get some opinions from here before I did so -- I'm kind of torn between matte black, for the tactical look, or the standard OD green. White is another option, just because it looks cool, but isn't good for much except the snow, and that only comes around for about a quarter of the year, if that.

Damn you, Now I'm going to have to make a custom stock for my USR when I get back home :D

How did you do the thumbhole? Just drill it out and a lot of sanding work?

Yeah, I actually drilled a bunch of little holes along the perimeter of the opening (it wasn't perfectly round to begin with) and finished the bits between the holes hand held jigsaw. I ended up using a chisel/hammer for most of the material removal, some sand paper to smooth things out and then some plaster/putty to fill in some of the deeper gouges that would take too much effort to sand out.

Progress update: all of the gaps are filled in at this point, so after a quick sand, it should be ready for fiberglass. The main thing I'm kind of stumped on right now is the mag release. I'm almost considering a cover that I can flip on/off. It'd take some more work, but a lever like an MP5's would do the trick as well. Any ideas welcomed :).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. Now that I'm on winter break I'll have time to finish it. I'm thinking about fiberglassing it and then using some sort of truck-bed liner type spray for the finish.

My next order of business at the moment is a mag catch. I think some sort of flip-down door will be the easiest to make. I just hope I can make it low enough profile so it doesn't look too awkward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've decided to start over as I've gained access to more and better tools. This time around should be much more clean.

The G3 mags I ordered came in, so I'll be able to start hacking those up pretty soon for the mock magazine. I have more or less completed the grip, though I may go back and sand it ALL the way down so there aren't any marks from the filler putty. The other option would be to find a marker and try to hide the blemishes. I'm still debating whether or not I will stain the wood. I'm kind of leaning that way though.

The idea is that I'm going to make a cast of the stock and make one or two of them out of resin so I can have different colors... black, maybe OD, and maybe white. Then I'll stain the wood one as a wallhanger type of thing.

Coming up next (in no particular order):

- Use a router along the edges.

- Hollow out the innards, make room for the barrel, breech, trigger assembly, magazine.

- Metal trigger guard.

- Cut grooves along the side for grip, and make the inset areas for the sling attachment.

- L96 style buttstock... still haven't figured this one out yet.

- Mag release.

- Cheek rest.

- Fake mag.

- bipod mount (and a bipod. Have to find one for cheap).

Anywho, took some pics:

Old one on top, new one on bottom.

s1hl7.th.jpg

Grip.

s2pu0.th.jpgs3sa4.th.jpg

With the mag.

s4mr0.th.jpgs6gb8.th.jpgs5pr1.th.jpg

Archived